OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wrt160nl?

The content of this topic has been archived between 9 Mar 2018 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Well, i have a little experience with unix systems and the command line is the scariest thing for me... ;]

I can`t change the pass, so i can`t enter into ssh mode. When i try to change it, it says

Retype password:
passwd: /etc/passwd: Read-only file system
passwd: cannot update password file /etc/passwd

I`ve tried with mount_root command but it doesn`t work. Yesterday, while I was configuring the settings, I messed up something with wan & lan(i guess - dchp client for lan). Now my router boots, broadcasts wlan, but my pc-s are getting some weird ip-s like 169.254.61.247 and they can`t communicate with the unit. I can ping the router only while in failsafe mode. So other ideas, while i`m google-ing (I guess, I`ll have to buy dku-5 this afternoon)

As long as you have failsafe mode, you can reflash your router.. So no need for dku-5 smile serial is only needed if youve bricked your router, which you havent in this case

serrghi wrote:

As long as you have failsafe mode, you can reflash your router.. So no need for dku-5 smile serial is only needed if youve bricked your router, which you havent in this case

Can you give me some directions? I`ve tried tftp - not working, tried "mtd -r erase nvram"- not working(It says: Could not open mtd device: nvram), tried mount_root; passwd - can`t change the password, so no ssh access. I guess I`m doing something wrong but.... :S

Some more info (not sure if it`s needed)

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 3.4M      3.4M         0 100% /
tmpfs                    14.5M      4.0K     14.5M   0% /tmp
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
root@(none):/# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00040000 00010000 "u-boot"
mtd1: 00130000 00010000 "kernel"
mtd2: 00670000 00010000 "rootfs"
mtd3: 00320000 00010000 "rootfs_data"
mtd4: 00010000 00010000 "nvram"
mtd5: 00010000 00010000 "art"
mtd6: 007a0000 00010000 "firmware"

(Last edited by kra4ol4e on 29 Jan 2010, 19:13)

Hi all,
I have an wrt160nl with openwrt and i don't know very much about linux so i'm asking here:

How can i increase TTL with this trunk?
what i need to install (only iptables-mod-ipopt and kmod-ipt-ipopt)?
How can i see if ipt_TTL is loaded on startup?

(Last edited by gogu_beb on 3 Feb 2010, 13:35)

wyngnut wrote:

So doing some more research, I think the people that have working openwrt on the WRT160NL have u-boot 1.1.5 and the newer devices (which don't work) have u-boot 1.1.6.  I looked at the Linksys site and found WRT160NL_1.00.01.17.tar.gz in their Open Source section, unfortunately this has my version of u-boot. 

Anybody have the u-boot 1.1.5 binary that I could downgrade to OR an older WRT160NL release from the linksys site?

Thanks!

wyngnut wrote:

Interesting...

Maybe its this specific version of U-Boot.  I notice that it doesn't have the saveenv command, but it does have the setenv command.

so I can also do
ar7100> setenv bootcmd bootwrt
ar7100> go

This works as well, but doesn't stick across power cycles.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like fw_printenv is in this version of openwrt and with no saveenv we can't set anything.

Ugh, one step closer though.

I am stuck in this same situation, can someone point me to the older 1.1.5 u-boot code and some instructions on how to replace mine.

I already have a serial cable and have been reflashing via tftp but I would like to make my changes permanent, right now it won't start-up automatically.

Hi,

Basically, you need to download boot code from Aaron (See post #376 for the link). After you tftp the u-boot 1.15, you need to set a couple of environment variable and save them using saveenv (see post #462 and a couple of posts after that). After that you should be fine. At least, that's how I fixed mine.

CJ

cj6666 wrote:

Hi,

Basically, you need to download boot code from Aaron (See post #376 for the link). After you tftp the u-boot 1.15, you need to set a couple of environment variable and save them using saveenv (see post #462 and a couple of posts after that). After that you should be fine. At least, that's how I fixed mine.

CJ

Thanks, I missed that post. After reading everything more than twice I still did not catch that link.

I am on my way now. I hope the 160NL will work well as a client.

Hi...I am a newbie here, very new in fact. May I know the reason as to why you guys choose to install Kamikaze into WRT160NL? Is it because of its lack of functionalities?

Can anyone point out a few of its lack of functions or weaknesses?

Guys, any idea what`s wrong with my serial console ;]] I`m using ca-42 cable, i found rx, tx and gnd. When i join the rx and tx cable and write something in Terminal v1.9b I`v got an echo. If I connect my serial cable to the router, I`m just receiving the u-boot messages but I can`t send anything, so when I hit ctrl-c nothing happens ;] Do I need different cable or what? smile

P.S. One step closer to fixing my router...

P.P.S. I`m using the pins on the board and the settings are 115200 8 n 1.

(Last edited by kra4ol4e on 6 Feb 2010, 13:37)

LeonTan wrote:

Hi...I am a newbie here, very new in fact. May I know the reason as to why you guys choose to install Kamikaze into WRT160NL? Is it because of its lack of functionalities?

In general people installing openwrt for all  kind of extended functionality, wifi webcam, wifi radio, home automation project, changing their router function etc etc. And of course the sense of fun and achievement. It also could be a inexpensive way of getting into embedded Linux world, such as learning Linux firmware programming, writing Linux device driver.  WRT160NL got a larger flash ROM, so supposedly it would fit bigger program, but unfortunately it is so new, a lot of driver seems to be still work in progress.

cj666@ thank you so much for responding to my post. I was afraid nobody would actually reply. I see what you mean. Thank you .

Is there any other websites which states what WRT160NL is lacking or what extra functionalities does Kamikaze provides that WRT160NL does not? Please help me. This is for my FYP.

Thank you very much.

LeonTan wrote:

Is there any other websites which states what WRT160NL is lacking or what extra functionalities does Kamikaze provides that WRT160NL does not? Please help me. This is for my FYP.

I have yet to see a compile detail report on any web site. Like any other open source project, it take a lot of trial and error and figuring out. Kamikaze of Openwrt is but one OS out of many (among others, DD-wrt, Tomato, etc). And since it's not commercialized (meaning no deadline), it's constantly changing all the time.

I'm afraid the best way is to ask questions and do a lot of reading yourself. From my personal experience, I could only tell that USB audio portion of WRT160NL seems to be still not working.

cj666@ Thank you so much for your help. I will start on readnig then.

kra4ol4e wrote:

Guys, any idea what`s wrong with my serial console ;]] I`m using ca-42 cable, i found rx, tx and gnd. When i join the rx and tx cable and write something in Terminal v1.9b I`v got an echo. If I connect my serial cable to the router, I`m just receiving the u-boot messages but I can`t send anything, so when I hit ctrl-c nothing happens ;] Do I need different cable or what? smile

P.S. One step closer to fixing my router...

P.P.S. I`m using the pins on the board and the settings are 115200 8 n 1.

Make sure flow control is turned off in your serial program.

boilerbots wrote:

Make sure flow control is turned off in your serial program.

It is turned off... Receiving data but cannot transmit... ;[ I`ve tried also with putty... there`s echo when joining rx and tx.

kra4ol4e wrote:

If you can do a little bit of soldering, I would recommend FTDI USB-RS232 cable. I've never used ca-42 cable, but it seems troublesome from the posts. I am using FTDI cable on two different routers without problem, but you need to built different adaptor boards because the manufacturers sometime switch pins around. If you are interested, I can show what the adaptor boards look like.

cj6666 wrote:

If you can do a little bit of soldering, I would recommend FTDI USB-RS232 cable. I've never used ca-42 cable, but it seems troublesome from the posts. I am using FTDI cable on two different routers without problem, but you need to built different adaptor boards because the manufacturers sometime switch pins around. If you are interested, I can show what the adaptor boards look like.

That`s mine cable http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9854/img4232u.th.jpg and I`m using router`s board pins so I guess I don`t need the adaptor board, but thanks anyway ;]

I wanted to buy this FTDI cable, but I can`t find it in my country. The cheapest way was to buy ca-42 clone cable which is more like dku-5, cause it has 5 wires and not 3. Now I`m trying to find someone who`s selling old original dku-5 or ca-42, so there`s still hope ;]]

(Last edited by kra4ol4e on 7 Feb 2010, 19:02)

I have read that openwrt will not support client bridge mode like dd-wrt right out of the box (given the hardware doesn't do the magic with the MAC addressing), but I have to ask if this is still possible.

I see that openwrt has fire wall rules and vlan support and basically a fully functional linux kernel.

Isn't it possible to create some IP table rules which will allow the wireless to be the WAN side of the firewall and all of the other ports or even just the original WAN port (eth1) to be a port behind a NAT firewall?

I read that the wireless is just one of the ports on the switch along with eth0, so maybe to fully do this it requires vlan support. If this is the case what is holding up the switch configuration, is this something that can be patched or hard coded into working?

Even if the vlan support is necessary to make this work across all the switch ports, I would be happy with it working on one port and my understanding is that the WAN port is tied to the processor as eth1 directly. Can someone help me setup my rules to make this work using wlan0 and eth1?

Have anyone checked what is the power supply chip? What kind of power input voltage will it take?

I'm looking to attach it to a (unregulated) 12V battery.

Regards

What is type of your battery ?
I  have measure voltage of linksys adapter - 15.4V !   , so i think PB batt will have no problem (with 14.4V at full state) - and my opinion - this will be better , because battery not generating noise on powerline

Another think - at actual build , I have some strange problems .
This appears at serial console, at some activity , but seems to be random.

Mem-Info:
Normal per-cpu:
CPU    0: hi:    0, btch:   1 usd:   0
active_anon:936 inactive_anon:1006 isolated_anon:0
 active_file:1131 inactive_file:1257 isolated_file:0
 unevictable:0 dirty:0 writeback:0 unstable:0
 free:191 slab_reclaimable:156 slab_unreclaimable:1790
 mapped:1097 shmem:181 pagetables:107 bounce:0
Normal free:764kB min:720kB low:900kB high:1080kB active_anon:3744kB inactive_anon:4024kB active_file:4524kB inactive_file:5028kB unevictable:0kB isolated(anon):0kB isolated(file):0kB present:32512kB mlocked:0kB dirty:0kB writeback:0kB mapped:4388kB shmem:724kB slab_reclaimable:624kB slab_unreclaimable:7160kB kernel_stack:400kB pagetables:428kB unstable:0kB bounce:0kB writeback_tmp:0kB pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0
Normal: 191*4kB 0*8kB 0*16kB 0*32kB 0*64kB 0*128kB 0*256kB 0*512kB 0*1024kB 0*2048kB 0*4096kB = 764kB
2983 total pagecache pages
410 pages in swap cache
Swap cache stats: add 2449, delete 2039, find 1157/1423
Free swap  = 28772kB
Total swap = 32088kB
8192 pages RAM
793 pages reserved
5084 pages shared
5413 pages non-shared
SLUB: Unable to allocate memory on node -1 (gfp=0x20)
  cache: kmalloc-8192, object size: 8192, buffer size: 8192, default order: 3, min order: 1
  node 0: slabs: 0, objs: 0, free: 0
skbuff alloc of size 3872 failed
php-cgi: page allocation failure. order:1, mode:0x4020
Call Trace:[<800682d4>] 0x800682d4
[<800682d4>] 0x800682d4
[<800b2f60>] 0x800b2f60
[<8007ce34>] 0x8007ce34
[<800d3aac>] 0x800d3aac
[<801996b8>] 0x801996b8
[<800d3f90>] 0x800d3f90
------CUTED (several similar lines of hexa fallow)-------

After that process running without problem, no reboot , no zombies ,no process feild .
With or without swap - its same , processess are different ,not only php-cgi.
And reflashing with older saved build (191XX ) is all ok .
Know someone what with that ?

EDIT: It seems to be ok with newer trunk version (r19597)

(Last edited by calltrace on 13 Feb 2010, 15:57)

What linksys adapter? For a long time linksys was providing unregulated power supplys, but the one that comes with wrt160nl is a pretty eficient regulated 12v power supply. So I don't think you will have it outside of 11.9-12.1 range...

Yea ,right ..my fault
But I replaced this switching adapter with old one with convertor because of serial console was messed up with noise generated by that switching adapter. And no problems at all ,no heating or fault

My interest - only connect battery ? or you planing to use somethink like UPS ? smile

(Last edited by calltrace on 11 Feb 2010, 14:09)

Hello all;

New to making my own build of OpenWRT and successfully got encrypted wireless working on my WRT160NL using build R19597...
But I think I did something wrong during the build process as I cannot do an 'opkg update' (getting 404 Not Found error for some reason) and Luci isn't responding.
The Luci packages are installed but I don't get a reply when going to http://192.168.1.1/luci

Here's the process I took:

svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk/
cd trunk
./scripts/feeds update
./scripts/feeds install
make package/symlinks
make menuconfig
make V=99

Chose AR71XX and wrt160nl profile, then Luci to be included in firmware while in 'make menuconfig'
When I try to run 'opkg update' I get:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk//packages/Packages.gz.
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk//packages/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
root@OpenWrt:~#

Anyone know what I did wrong?  Much appreciated!

You skipped "make defconfig" in build process , but that is not problem here ( i think )

But address in your log .,   not exist smile You can try smile 
eh . ., so . .,

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/Packages.gz

is right
(edit opkg.conf in /etc/ )

(Last edited by calltrace on 13 Feb 2010, 15:59)