Hi,

I have 5 Linksys WRT54GLs with Whiterussian 0.9 installed.

I want to use 4 of these to build a single network over a large area with several rooms and some thick walls. Ideally, the network would be totally seamless. Security is not an issue, and it's just a LAN, no internet required. Running ethernet cable around the space IS an option.

The 5th Linksys is mounted on a mobile robot. I have this box set up in Client (Bridge) Mode, and am streaming video from a networked camera to a computer tethered to one of the APs.

Ive set up the Client->AP, so I know that works. I then added a second AP, and joined it with the first using WDS. I have the essid/channel/no security on both APs. This works as well, and I can join the client to either and ping all the boxes.

So far so good. But when the client is roaming, the connection will drop until it joins on to the next AP. My first question is: is there anything I can do to minimize the time of the dropped signal, or to eliminate it? I imagine this would be on the client side.

My second question is: in my situation, would I be better off daisy-chaining all of the APs using ethernet than using WDS? if I set the essid's all the same, is that essentially the same network as with WDS? is that all a "backbone" is? finally, would this make any difference with my roaming issues? sorry if those are naive questions, Im new at this.

all the best.