OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Default gateway keeps reapperaing

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi folks,

I'm using OpenWRT on a WRT54GS.

I'm using wifidog in combination with openvpn. For those of you familiar with wifidog, my auth server is located at the other end of an openvpn tunnel and the "wifi dog gateway" is running on the WRT itself.

I'm don't really think that wifi dog is the issue. Basically, I'm using openvpn with the "redirect-gateway" option which works well. In this mode, openvpn removes my current default gateway setting and adds the remote openvpn server as the default gateway (as it should). However, overnight, my default gateway on the local network keeps reapperaing (along with the openvpn one as well). This causes confusion and i don't want any packets (But ovbiously the connection to the actual openvpn server) to go down this local gateway.

Why do you think it reappears? Do you reckon openvpn is dropping connection and somehow the normal gateway is being added back?
I *could* run a cron script which runs every minute or so with something like "route del default gw xx.xx.xx.xx" (where xx.xx.xx.xx is the default gateway which I don't want to be there) but that is quite messy and means that if I were to ever move the router I would need to reconfigure this and considering that I would like in the future to have many of these wifi dog gateways, this really isn't an ideal option (as every network will have a different default gateway).

Thanks for the help

Cheers

You can see if you're using a proxy by checking the Internet Options Control Panel, selecting the Connections tab, and clicking the LAN Settings... button. If any of the checkboxes are checked on the window that opens, you're probably using a proxy. You can try clearing the checkboxes (write down the settings first or grab a screenshot), then quitting and restarting your browser and see if that helps. But if your ISP requires use of a proxy and doesn't allow you to bypass it, this won't help. Again, your option will be to contact your ISP's support and tell them your problem.

The discussion might have continued from here.