OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Openvpn and hardware crypto engine

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I try to get the hardware-cryptoaccelerator working on the my ASUS WL-500G Premium V1.

I used recent trunk (r15049) with kernel 2.6, enabled ubsec_ssb and used the patched openssl-package from www.danm.de (2/22/09), and set "force use of ocf".

the kernel-modules loads just fine, and if I test openssl (openssl speed -engine cryptodev -evp aes-256-cbc) I get good results, so openssl is working with the hardware, but with openvpn I don't get any performance increase. I added "engine cryptodev" to /etc/config/openvpn and I can see in the log, that the engine is initialized, but I only get 450-500 kByte/s with aes-256-cbc encryption.

Is there someone, who has a working setup?

Do I need to patch openvpn too?
or does it use the cryptohardware but something else is the bottleneck? I don't know memory-bandwidth, or something?

I'm also interested in getting hardware crypto to work with OpenVPN on the WL500GP.

Any update on this?

I am working on this same issue with the Router Station Pro.... anyone get this working yet?

I am using the Soekris VPN1411 and a RS Pro main unit

I got it working using the ocf hifn driver. Hoewever the user-to-kernel and kernel-to-user copying of packets (context switches) is the bottleneck. The OpenVPN speed gets capped long before the crypto accel would make a difference. Its only useful for pure Kernel based VPNs like IPSec or L2TP.

I can confirm that the Soekris VPN1411 crypto hardware works with the OCF HiFn drivers. OpenVPN and IPsec.

(Last edited by Dogge on 4 Aug 2010, 12:06)

which hifn driver are you using? kmod-crypto-ocf-hifn7751 or the kmod-crypto-hw-hifn-795x?

Thanks for the responses!

"ocf hifn" -> kmod-crypto-ocf-hifn7751  wink

The discussion might have continued from here.