OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: No ttyUSB*

The content of this topic has been archived on 15 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Anyone know how to add ttyUSB interfaces?  Im trying to get a 3G USB Modem to work but I can never seem to get a ttyUSB<n> interface to come up in /dev/.  Anyone know what packages/setting I need to set or add?  I'm going a bit insane here.  Currently there are no ttyUSB interfaces at all.

I have added USB Host support enabled in the kernel and in menuconfig.  I also have kmod-usb-serial selected as built in, most of the packages are selected as modules but a few are built-in.  Am I missing something?

Thanks

Watts

Hi.

Usually you need to edit /etc/modules.d/xy-usbserial and append the vendor=0x... and product=0x... params otherwise the usbserial won't pick up the device.

~ JoW

I don't have a *-usbserial file to modify in /etc/modules.d/  all i have is usb-uhci usb-storage.  there is nothing else dealing with USB

(Last edited by watts on 3 Mar 2009, 23:07)

It has driven me crazy too.  Does lsusb show the device with the vendor and product IDs?  If you don't have lsusb, you need to do "opkg update" and "opkg install usbutils".  You may also need the OHCI driver.  When you have the report from lsusb you may need to include the specific vendor driver, e.g., FTDI or PL2303 or ACM or other.  What does "dmesg | grep usb" give you?

(Last edited by lizby on 3 Mar 2009, 05:53)

lsusb does show the device yet I don't have any ttyUSB nodes.  Since i don't have any of the ttyUSB nodes the driver can't initialize the 3G modem.  I'm not sure why I don't have the ttyUSB interfaces.  I know USB is working correctly because I can add a USB Ethernet device and ping through it.  I don't know what else to enable in menuconfing in order to build a filesystem that has the ttyUSB interfaces included in it.  Looking into /dev/ the following interfaces are available with respect to USB.

usb1
usb2
usb3
usbdev1.1_epXX <-Several
usbdev1.2_epXX <-Several
usbdev2.1_epXX <- Several
usbdev3.1_epXX <- Several

Any ideas what I might need to do?

What vendor and product ID are reported by lsusb?  In some cases once I had those I could go back and include the specific driver for the vendor.

When i run lsusb the device is detected.  Here is the output

Bus 003 Device 009: ID 1199:6880 Sierra Wireless, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:001
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:001
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:002

I am working with the AT&T C885 3g Modem.  The device enumerates fine but have not been able to create the ttyUSB* interfaces.  I found some tips from dd-wrt and included the packages they recommended but still no luck.

watts wrote:

When i run lsusb the device is detected.  Here is the output

Bus 003 Device 009: ID 1199:6880 Sierra Wireless, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:001
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:001
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:002

I am working with the AT&T C885 3g Modem.  The device enumerates fine but have not been able to create the ttyUSB* interfaces.  I found some tips from dd-wrt and included the packages they recommended but still no luck.

i do not know if you have the very same modem but try reading this
http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:546 … &gl=us
also, some of the multiple personality modems the storage "drive/reader" need to be umounted
someone wrote a util to do so, I just dont remember who/what

I am dealing with pretty much the same problem. Mine is a c597(sierra wireless compas 597 usb). It has an auto driver load part that loads the driver automatically when plugged into windows. Theoretically, you have to use usb_modeswitch to get it to switch from the cd-rom emulation to the actually modem.

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch

my modem is detected and loaded as /dev/usb/tts/0. but i can't talk to it and can't get usb_modeswitch to work with it. maybe you can have luck as your model is closer to what they have in the conf. openwrt has a package for 0.9.5. i hope they get a 0.9.6 package soon(or wish i could figure out how to get make to run on openwrt) because that version has a sierra setting built in now. my lsusb shows up with my modem being 0x1199:0x0fff when it should be :0x0023. Hope this helps you, but i think i'm at a point where i need to just use my laptop to connect to the internet and pipe it into the router for wireless. which totally sucks. Thanks.

Under "make menuconfig", with kmod-usb-core checked, there is an option for Sierra Wireless--do you have that checked?

not entirely sure what you mean. I have a feeling you are talking about compiling a image from scratch. A. no clue how to even start do to that. i read through the how to's and it was way over my head. B. i have no linux box to compile it on.  I did install the sierra wireless package though. still didn't help it get my modem to show up as /dev/ttyUSB.

Sorry, BB, I was responding to watts, who in his first post referred to menuconfig.  I have had limited success myself and know of no way to go about it when there are problems if you're not building your own image.  I'm using VMware on my Vista PC to run Ubuntu solely for the purpose of building Kamikaze--it's a clunky process, but doable, with persistance.

persistance is the key
anyways, have you guys tried using the modem in a recent linux distro ?, like ubtunu

I have the sierra driver included in both menuconfig (as * not M) and kernel_menuconfig (Built-in to the kernel at the moment, will try a module soon).  I have loaded the device in a desktop distribution so i know that its possible.  I also talked to the folks over at sierra wireless and they seem to think that its possible too, the driver dosent seem to be processor dependent.  I'm am using their latest driver for the 2.6.25 kernel and the modem is supported in that driver.  I replaced the sierra driver just in case the one included was out dated.  From what I understand they wrote the driver for a router.  Still no luck at the moment.  I will look at the post that tonyboy added to the thread and report back but in the mean time if anyone has any ideas it would be great.

-Watts

Does anyone know where I can find kmod-hso.tar.gz?  How can i add this to menuconfig?

If you have the sierra driver on in menuconfig and don't have a *-usbserial file to modify in /etc/modules.d/, then I'm stumped.  That happens often to me with openWrt when a device isn't automatically located and dealt with.

what do i need to do in order to get *-usbserial in /etc/modules.d?  I have kmod-usb-serial and the sierra driver built in to menuconfig.  I also built the driver into the kernel (not a module).  The device seems to work fine on the Ubuntu installation that i am using as a host system.  But no matter what i do i can not get any ttyUSB interface to come up in /dev.  This is driving me nucking futs.  This make me believe that im missing some trivial thing.  Has anyone gotten this to work yet?  If and when I finally get this im definitely posing a how-to on the wiki.

Update:  I have created everything as a module in teh kernel and everything seems to be selected properly.  Only one problem.  I dont seem to have the usb-serial driver...at all.  Im not sure why.  Anyone have any ideas why this was not added?  If so how can i get ti to load the usb-serial kernel module.  I have it selected in bot menuconfig and kernel_menuconfig.

@Watts: Did you take a look at "dmesg | grep usbserial"?

Using Kamikaze 8.09.2 with kernel 2.4 (no custom build), I get

usbserial.c: Generic converter detected
usbserial.c: Generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
usbserial.c: Generic converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
usbserial.c: Generic converter now attached to ttyUSB2 (or usb/tts/2 for devfs)
usbserial.c: Generic converter now attached to ttyUSB3 (or usb/tts/3 for devfs)

after switching a E169 using usb_modeswitch.

So /dev/ttyUSB0 is actually /dev/usb/tts/0, etc. Try using minicom with /dev/usb/tts/0 -- works for me.

(Last edited by bosterm on 2 Feb 2010, 22:55)

The discussion might have continued from here.