OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: freenet IPv6 tunnel

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

Is anyone using an IPv6 tunnel to freenet/go6?
There seem to be two different packages for this: tspc and gw6c.

What is the difference? Which one should I use?
Any experiences with them?

I'm having trouble getting gw6c to work, it appears to start but then locks before actually sending anything across the network.  I've tried the supplied kernels and packages, as well as re-compiling my own, but same result.  Using a Meraki Mini (atheros chipset).

tspc is reporting authentication issues with my ISPs Hexago server (haven't tried a go6.net account yet).

My only IPv6 gateway solution at present is a hand crafted script for 6to4 ... that doesn't deal with ppp session restarts very well sad

I've successfully tested gw6c on my Windows and Mac machines, but would love to have it active on the gateway.  Perhaps it's time to switch to an Airport with 6to4 built-in.

What is every one else doing?

I'm trying to setup 6to4 tunnel with HE.net in USA on Kamikaze 8.09 or Trunk.  Anyone know which modules I need?

List so far: kmod-sit iproute2

Froosh wrote:

I'm having trouble getting gw6c to work, it appears to start but then locks before actually sending anything across the network.  I've tried the supplied kernels and packages, as well as re-compiling my own, but same result.  Using a Meraki Mini (atheros chipset).

tspc is reporting authentication issues with my ISPs Hexago server (haven't tried a go6.net account yet).

My only IPv6 gateway solution at present is a hand crafted script for 6to4 ... that doesn't deal with ppp session restarts very well sad

I've successfully tested gw6c on my Windows and Mac machines, but would love to have it active on the gateway.  Perhaps it's time to switch to an Airport with 6to4 built-in.

What is every one else doing?

I"m having the same problem with my own gw6c-ssl package (based on 5.1, compiled with SSL support).  Whatever the problem is, it occurs on both kernel 2.4 and 2.6, and with both v5.0 and v5.1 of the gw6c client.

I've tried both the trunk and the 8.09 branch.

RoundSparrow wrote:

I'm trying to setup 6to4 tunnel with HE.net in USA on Kamikaze 8.09 or Trunk.  Anyone know which modules I need?

List so far: kmod-sit iproute2

I only use kmod-ipv6 in addition to what's already included in the basic configuration. I'm not running an IPv6 firewall, though. Check out this wiki page for more info: http://wiki.openwrt.org/IPv6_howto.

You should look at the 6scripts package as well, or if you're interested, I could e-mail you a script I wrote for IPv6 with HE.

Andrew-ACT wrote:
Froosh wrote:

I"m having the same problem with my own gw6c-ssl package (based on 5.1, compiled with SSL support).  Whatever the problem is, it occurs on both kernel 2.4 and 2.6, and with both v5.0 and v5.1 of the gw6c client.

Oh. Well, good and bad - at least I'm not going insane.

I haven't had a chance to test or investigate much, but I was curious whether all the correct kernel modules were loaded.  I think I only have kmod-tun, but wasn't sure if kmod-iptunnel4 or kmod-iptunnel6 were required, or perhaps others.  Sometime I plan to test against a vanilla linux box to see what in genuinely used there.

Froosh wrote:
Andrew-ACT wrote:
Froosh wrote:

Oh. Well, good and bad - at least I'm not going insane.

I haven't had a chance to test or investigate much, but I was curious whether all the correct kernel modules were loaded.  I think I only have kmod-tun, but wasn't sure if kmod-iptunnel4 or kmod-iptunnel6 were required, or perhaps others.  Sometime I plan to test against a vanilla linux box to see what in genuinely used there.

I've resolved the problem with my gw6c-ssl package.  There was a missing library from the LDFLAGS in my Makefile, and I believe it's the same problem with jake1981's gw6c package (the one that's part of Kamikaze 8.09).

My version can be downloaded from http://wiki.andy.id.au/Home/openwrt/gw6c-ssl but please note that it has an extra dependency on openssl (was a requirement for authentication to my ISP's Hexago broker).

If you have a Broadcom based router, you could try my custom version of Kamikaze 8.09.  The firmware can be found at http://wiki.andy.id.au/Home/openwrt/custom-builds

Edit: Updated links

(Last edited by Andrew-ACT on 16 Apr 2009, 12:53)

That sounds excellent, but sadly your package doesn't seem to want to play nice with my Atheros-based Meraki.  Any chance you can reveal the LDFLAGS/libs/etc that you found necessary to enable gw6c-5.1 or put them in a ticket on dev.openwrt.org?

Thanks.

Froosh wrote:

That sounds excellent, but sadly your package doesn't seem to want to play nice with my Atheros-based Meraki.  Any chance you can reveal the LDFLAGS/libs/etc that you found necessary to enable gw6c-5.1 or put them in a ticket on dev.openwrt.org?

Thanks.

Correct - your router is based on the mips architecture, not mipsel.

The package source is located at http://wiki.andy.id.au/Home/openwrt/gw6c-ssl

I do intend to raise a ticket to have it added to SVN, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edit: Updated URL

(Last edited by Andrew-ACT on 18 Apr 2009, 01:39)

Doh, didn't even recognise the difference between mips/mipsel...

Otherwise, it's now a beauty to behold - linked, router configured and advertised, magic.  Thanks!

My 2c input: I found it necessary to add +kmod-sit to the Makefile depends, and to change my tunnel_method to v6udpv4 (probably due to my non-publicly-addressed test scenario).

Thanks again, excellent work.

Froosh wrote:

Doh, didn't even recognise the difference between mips/mipsel...

Otherwise, it's now a beauty to behold - linked, router configured and advertised, magic.  Thanks!

My 2c input: I found it necessary to add +kmod-sit to the Makefile depends, and to change my tunnel_method to v6udpv4 (probably due to my non-publicly-addressed test scenario).

Thanks again, excellent work.

I think the kmod-sit is a 2.6 thing.  I was compiling for 2.4 (brcm-2.4 target) and didn't need that package.  I've just built a 2.6 based firmware (brcm47xx target) and I did indeed need to install kmod-sit in order to get a tunnel going.

One difference for me is that only v6v4 works.  v6udpv4 fails (not sure why yet).  I'm building from the latest revision of the trunk, so maybe that's why.  v6v4 is what I prefer anyway (less overhead).

I'll update the package to v5.1-2 and include the kmod-sit dependency, as well as make the default tunnel mode in the config file "v6anyv4" to minimise the chance of problems.

Will upload to http://wiki.andy.id.au/Home/openwrt/gw6c-ssl shortly.

Ok. Enough now. I'll stop reading the OpenWrt forums now until the spam problems are fixed....

Yanira wrote:

Ok. Enough now. I'll stop reading the OpenWrt forums now until the spam problems are fixed....

????

Hello,

I saw this thread about using an ipv6 tunnel with gw6c.

I'm using 2 wrt54g (L & TM) to make an access point and a repeater for my home network - My ISP (Fastweb, Italy) uses a NAT without giving his customer a direct acces to the internet - ipv6 tunnel is consequently really useful to be reached behind NAT - I'm using it with the computer, but I would prefer very much having it on the router, so that I can ssh from outside and wake on lan my pc from remote.

I was using dd-wrt basicly because it is much, much easier to configure for a noob, in particular for the repeater-bridge part - as far as gw6c packages exist for openwrt, I'm tring to test this firmware and the package. The main problem seems to be the that the size of the installation exceeds my memory (8.09.1 + gw6c with open-ssl)

I have 2 questions :

1) is open-ssl indispensible for connection to go6, or a lighter package is possible?
2) does an image with gw6c 5.1.2 on 8.09.1 exists?

Thank you in advance,

Paolo

tiepolo wrote:

Hello,

I saw this thread about using an ipv6 tunnel with gw6c.

I'm using 2 wrt54g (L & TM) to make an access point and a repeater for my home network - My ISP (Fastweb, Italy) uses a NAT without giving his customer a direct acces to the internet - ipv6 tunnel is consequently really useful to be reached behind NAT - I'm using it with the computer, but I would prefer very much having it on the router, so that I can ssh from outside and wake on lan my pc from remote.

I was using dd-wrt basicly because it is much, much easier to configure for a noob, in particular for the repeater-bridge part - as far as gw6c packages exist for openwrt, I'm tring to test this firmware and the package. The main problem seems to be the that the size of the installation exceeds my memory (8.09.1 + gw6c with open-ssl)

I have 2 questions :

1) is open-ssl indispensible for connection to go6, or a lighter package is possible?
2) does an image with gw6c 5.1.2 on 8.09.1 exists?

Thank you in advance,

Paolo

The gw6c-ssl package that I released is only needed if your tunnel provider uses the encrypted authentication mechanism.  If it doesn't, you can just use the gw6c package that someone else posted (it's built from v5.0 of the Gateway6 source code).

http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8 … mipsel.ipk

(Last edited by Andrew-ACT on 29 Jul 2009, 10:11)

Thank you again!

I used your firmware image to connect to go6 server;

I get  this error :

(server=)A server MUST be specified.
(template=)Template must be: <checktunnel|freebsd|netbsd|linux|windows|darwin|cisco|solaris|openbsd|openwrt>
Last error is 15: INVALID_CONFIG_FILE.

in configuration file I have :

option server authenticated.freenet6.net

option template openwrt

Do you know where the problem is?

Thx

Paolo

tiepolo wrote:

Thank you again!

I used your firmware image to connect to go6 server;

I get  this error :

(server=)A server MUST be specified.
(template=)Template must be: <checktunnel|freebsd|netbsd|linux|windows|darwin|cisco|solaris|openbsd|openwrt>
Last error is 15: INVALID_CONFIG_FILE.

in configuration file I have :

option server authenticated.freenet6.net

option template openwrt

Do you know where the problem is?

Thx

Paolo

Did you configure the options in the /etc/config/gw6c file or somewhere else?  Please post a copy of your /etc/config/gw6c file (remove any passwords first).

The package you've compiled with SSL (http://wiki.andy.id.au/Home/openwrt/gw6c-ssl) works for me.
The standard Kamikaze package without SSL does not work however (http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8 … mipsel.ipk), so I have gone ahead and installed libssl as well (I have the SD card hack, so quite a bit of free space).
Here are the changes I had to do apart from config files in order to get the gw6c running:

I have just added a mkdir /var/etc just before local config_file="/var/etc/gw6c.conf" in /etc/init.d/gw6c because this folder is not always already created at boot.
Finally, I launch gw6c as background in order not to slow down the boot process.

Thanks for this, I am v6-connected again!

(Last edited by l77 on 30 May 2010, 13:07)

I am just curious what advantages one will gain to run IPV6 tunnel while his/her ISP hasn't support IPV6, yet. is there anything I am missing here? What I tried to say is I don't have any problems to access to Internet using IPV4 that my current ISP (Comcast) is supporting. I just wish my ISP will switch to IPV6.

You might want to use it when you want direct end-to-end communication between 2 machines without messing around with NAT rules (that have been in place for many years now, mainly to overcome IPv4 address shortage)

The discussion might have continued from here.