OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WRT54gs v1 serial console displaying strange symbols

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi

I have hacked my WRT54gs to get the serial ports. However after doing all the stuff with the MAX232 and so on, I have checked it and I get really strange symbols. The configuration of minicom speed and baud is set to 115200 8N1. Do I have to change anyother thing?

TA

if you check the speed and the baud my have bad serial pin out connect.
Maybe have incorrect rx or tx.

Correct:

serial  | router
tx ---- > rx
rx <---- tx

incorrect:

serial  | router
tx ---><--- tx
rx <------> rx
(this my output garbage)

check also if you have the correct pin (+/-) in our electronics capacitors with or max232 good connected.
this the capacity of capacitors may change if the voltages have 3.3v or 5v.

Vasco Santos

hi
check the datasheet of your max232 chip, i've faced a similar problem, my max232N chip from texas instrument want 5v in input, not 3.3v, and with 5v from the usb it work well (with 3.3v it display stange symbols).

minimou

minimou wrote:

hi
check the datasheet of your max232 chip, i've faced a similar problem, my max232N chip from texas instrument want 5v in input, not 3.3v, and with 5v from the usb it work well (with 3.3v it display stange symbols).

minimou

Seams that you max232 from TI was a min voltage, the vcc is min 4.5v, so you have tree solutions:

1: get a chip from maxim this support 3.3v in.
2: use a external  power supply.
3: get power from serial port, from DTR and RTS thats give you 12v, them user the lm7805 to regulate to 5v ( my choice ).

I hope that's helps smile

The discussion might have continued from here.