OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Search for suitable router with usb and good support and availability

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I am after a router to be used with a webcam to turn it into a wireless ip camera. I have managed to put together all sorts of bits, but not all of them in one package. I use NSLU2 and love it. I know I can connect a usb wireless adapter and a webcam to it. But I would actually like to find something that has all of the below:

1. USB 2.0 port (or ports).
2. Wireless integrated.
3. 8MB of Flash if possible to accommodate OpenVPN, dynamic DNS client, mjpeg_streamer, motion, nfs client and any kernel modules necessary (maybe I could get away with 4MB?).
4. Still available to buy (in UK if possible). WL-500gp version1 seems ideal - but can't be bought anymore.
5. Fairly well supported in openwrt (or other firmware that offer support for all above features). I don't mind some troubleshooting, but I can't claim I am skilled to the point of attaching JTAG's or hacking away at the code. I have managed to install and configure several NSLU2's and loved it - but I would say that their support in OpenWRT is quite stable by now. Actually, something like the NSLU2 - but with wireless integrated and still available to buy would be absolutely ideal.

I have searched the entire hardware database - and there are some devices which offer some of the above - but none seem to offer all of them. I can purchase WL-500gp version 2 - but there doesn't seem to be an OpenWRT image for it which can be used to install everything else on (openvpn, nfs client, camera modules etc) - and the wireless support without changing the card in 2.6 seems non-existent or unusable.

One more point for anybody out-there: I have wondered lately where is the whole NSLU2 / WRT54G going? In the sense that these devices are almost discontinued now - does anybody see any replacements with as wide support coming along? Is Linksys (or anybody else) releasing a replacement for NSLU2 which will be just as usable/hackable? What are your opinions?

Thanks for any suggestions

EDIT: The Netgear WGT634U again seems to fulfill all my requirements - except that it has been discontinued already and is unavailable.

(Last edited by xj25vm on 15 Jan 2009, 17:56)

xj25vm wrote:

Hi,
EDIT: The Netgear WGT634U again seems to fulfill all my requirements - except that it has been discontinued already and is unavailable.

They are quite easy to find on Ebay. I picked up two for $45.00 recently. However, you would need to understand serial connections to get OpenWRT loaded up. The other catch is finding a router that has full 5V usb powered ports. The WGT634U may provide enough power for your camera though...

The discussion might have continued from here.