OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Planex (PCI) MZK-W04NU Atheros AP81 platform router with USB

The content of this topic has been archived between 24 Mar 2018 and 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

That's right it is snapshot. You can download the snapshot put it in the dl directory. Change the hostapd Make file version, md5sum, file name, and compile.

Could someone please post instructions for reinstalling the original Planex firmware from uboot.   I've tried following RoundSparrow's instructions for installing openwrt from uboot, with the original planex firmware to no avail.  Likewise, mtd doesn't seem happy with the planex firmware either.  FWIW, neither the luci nor the xwrt web interfaces seem to allow firmware upgrades for this hardware.

Hi,

Did someone succeeded to have a N working wireless connectivity ? I can't get more than G (54 Mbps).

Additionally, when using no encryption, it looks quite stable but when using WPA2-PSK, connection is not stable at all (disconnect and reconnect every 2 seconds...)

I'm using trunk 17140

Thanks

Can the LEDs be controlled somehow?
And how to read the switch at the back (AP/router)? And the WPS button?

hkubota wrote:

Can the LEDs be controlled somehow?
And how to read the switch at the back (AP/router)? And the WPS button?

+1 Same question for me

The MZK-W04NU was long available on Amazon.com.  It now shows as "Currently unavailable.  We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."  It also appears to have disappeared from NewEgg, and I can't find it available at any (online) retailer.

Does anyone know what is happening with this product, or a good place from where it may still be purchased if it isn't being replaced or otherwise obsoleted?

ziesemer wrote:

The MZK-W04NU was long available on Amazon.com.  It now shows as "Currently unavailable.  We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."  It also appears to have disappeared from NewEgg, and I can't find it available at any (online) retailer.

Does anyone know what is happening with this product, or a good place from where it may still be purchased if it isn't being replaced or otherwise obsoleted?

Planex (in Japan) no longer shows it as a current model. There are now smaller (and probably cheaper) models available.
On amazon.co.jp it's still available, but the number of shops offering it is quite smaller than some time ago, so I'd expect it to disappear in a short while.

This does not necessarily mean the same will happen in US, but I would be surprised if it will not disappear there soon too.

On a side note: http://www.planex.co.jp/product/router/mzk-w04nu/ shows now a link to this thread!

Harald

Hey i just bought a Planex MZK-W04NU under a german label: "CONRAD WLAN ROUTER/ACCESSPOINT N300" (http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/9721 … AREA_37402)

And i'm going to flash it. I read all those threats mentioning the problems with the wifi speed - is it solved by now?. I'm a noob to openWRT and not very firm with Linux.
I got two questions:

1. Which one is actually the best workin build for this router? (still openwrt_r14959_manyUSB1_ar71xx-mzk-w04nu-squashfs?)

2. I'd like to use it as a FTP-Server - is this package included in any of these builds or how can i add it? And is there a possibility to acces and configure the FTP-Server using the webUI?

Mitklaus wrote:

Hey i just bought a Planex MZK-W04NU under a german label: "CONRAD WLAN ROUTER/ACCESSPOINT N300" (http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/9721 … AREA_37402)

And i'm going to flash it. I read all those threats mentioning the problems with the wifi speed - is it solved by now?. I'm a noob to openWRT and not very firm with Linux.
I got two questions:

1. Which one is actually the best workin build for this router? (still openwrt_r14959_manyUSB1_ar71xx-mzk-w04nu-squashfs?)

2. I'd like to use it as a FTP-Server - is this package included in any of these builds or how can i add it? And is there a possibility to acces and configure the FTP-Server using the webUI?

Yeah, when I saw that one in Germany, I thought "Hmm...looks awfully similar."
I used above mentioned image some time ago and had no issues.

I currently use a self-compiled r18131 build. Works like a charm.
About ftp: beats me. I use scp via dropbear. Works as expected. I set up Apache for file serving once. Worked too.

I would strongly suggest you grab the latest snapshot from here: http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/

I'm running a self compiled r19503 which is a few days old. The ar71xx and hostapd drivers have gone through many revisions over the past few months which have improved the performance and reliability of the Planex wifi component.

Ok - my problem is, that i'm a noob to this and would like to use a web-Interface to configure the router. Have all those packages one included?
And what does jffs2 and squafhfs mean? can i flash these Images directly through the original Web-Interface?
I would use DD-WRT, but this router is not supported by now.
What would you suggest? Is it easy to use the build above for a noob, because i'm not familiar with linux at all...
Or should i wait until a more easy-to-use firmware like dd-wrt is available for this router?

Mitklaus wrote:

Ok - my problem is, that i'm a noob to this and would like to use a web-Interface to configure the router. Have all those packages one included?
And what does jffs2 and squafhfs mean? can i flash these Images directly through the original Web-Interface?
I would use DD-WRT, but this router is not supported by now.
What would you suggest? Is it easy to use the build above for a noob, because i'm not familiar with linux at all...
Or should i wait until a more easy-to-use firmware like dd-wrt is available for this router?

OpenWRT has a web interface though. The problem will be where do you get the image from. If it's built in, all is good. If not, can you compile it yourself?

It's not hard to compile (there are lots of good instructions), but without knowledge of things like crosscompiling, understanding flash and the memory layout, serial console, and Linux basics, it will eventually fail if you are a bit unlucky. It's as easy as compiling a kernel/image without Ethernet driver. WLAN is not configured, and Ethernet is dead. Not easy to fix.

This is all not really difficult in my opinion, but it's not dead-simple either.

Better start using OpenWRT with a well supported router, not with one where you should compile your first image yourself (as the one from RoundSparrow is a bit aged now).

That's my opinion though.

Ok, i already tried to compile my own image by setting up a Virtual Box etc. and finally got the creating-tool started. i chose the correct Chipset etc. but i didn't find any options mentioning the web interface or the ftp-server.  and there were so many functions where i was not shure which settings to use.
Ist it possible to configure a ftp-Server through the webinterface with open WRT?
My plan is, to use the Router as a FTP server with a connected USB-Harddisk(FAT) - so that i can access my files from anywhere via ftp. Of course it should support dyndns. Could anyone plz help me compiling this image, or would you rather suggest to buy another router and use DD-WRT instead?

Mitklaus wrote:

Ok, i already tried to compile my own image by setting up a Virtual Box etc. and finally got the creating-tool started. i chose the correct Chipset etc. but i didn't find any options mentioning the web interface or the ftp-server.  and there were so many functions where i was not shure which settings to use.
Ist it possible to configure a ftp-Server through the webinterface with open WRT?
My plan is, to use the Router as a FTP server with a connected USB-Harddisk(FAT) - so that i can access my files from anywhere via ftp. Of course it should support dyndns. Could anyone plz help me compiling this image, or would you rather suggest to buy another router and use DD-WRT instead?

Well, since you are fearless and were able to set up the compiling environment,  it would be a shame to not use it now...

To enable ftp, I can do this (it's not enabled in my image, but that should not make it less simple to enable):

make menuconfig, select base system, select busybox, select Configuration, select networking utilities, select ftpd

I would personally select httpd too to make it possible to get files via http protocol. ftp can be a pain if firewalls are not configured correctly. httpd (via wget) is simple and easy and when using wget to get files, easier to handle.

To add LuCI, see https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=20689 how to add packages in general, and LuCI in particular.

Once done, using "make menuconfig", you should see LuCI listed now. Configure with the modules you like as needed. In the LuCI components menu, select ddns. See the lack of ftp here (at least on my config), so I guess LuCI cannot handle/configure ftpd.

Things to watch out when compiling your own images: It's a good start to use a known working .config file. The one from RoundSparrow are ok (a bit old though). Then do "make oldconfig" to get the new options integrated. Then "make menuconfig" to change them all. Do not deselect things you don't know what they do. If you add something, make sure it's needed, otherwise you waste space (but nothing else, so adding unknown modules is usually ok and not dangerous).

For the initial firmware update, use the .webgui file which will show up in bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-mzk-w04nu-squashfs.webui. Later updating requires the .bin file (see http://harald.studiokubota.com/wordpres … -openwrt/)

I hope this helps to get this started.

HI,
I have bricked my router PCi MZK-W04NU. Green LEDs for power,wifi and ethernet are solid. I made a RS232 cable using DKU-5 cable but i cannot view the uboot using realterm/putty/minicom/screen. Can anyone guide me on how to recover my  router or point me to the recovery steps.

My router was bricked when I tried to update the firmware , using PCI's WebGUI , with openwrt-ar71xx-mzk-w04nu-squashfs.webui ( http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/

Seeking help.

Hi all,

I have OpenWRT installed on Planex. I'd like to put the last original firmware from planex but if I try to do this from the LuCi web GUI the original firmware is not recognize as something useful and the upgrade process do not start. Any suggestion ?

Thanks a lot

Satjuice

Hi,

RoundSparrow wrote:
Eri Hyva wrote:

http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Wireless+Ne … px?navid=0

accept input of 220v? Is it a 100V-220V adapter or 100V only? Can someone who owns MZK-W04NU check it....

The Trendnet AP81's and Planex have a very similar power supply, both are 60Hz (USA/Japan) only.  They are 5v 2.5 or 3 amps, shouldn't be too hard to source something compatible.

If the power supply is of switching type (most of them are), then the frequency doesn't matter at all, you can usually supply them even with DC. If it's of a traditional transformer type, then 50/60Hz do not matter as well because transformer performance is very similar for those frequencies.

Ok i installed Wireshark and when the packet from the Router comes i press the reset button 2-3 seconds and then the Status lamp blinks very fast.
But i get no message that the router is in Failsave mode oO and i can't connect through telnet and tftp.

I setted up Dynamic ip like this: IP: 192.168.1.1, Subnet: 255.255.255.0 and the others clear, i tried also with gateway and dns on 192.168.1.1 but i can't never connect i waited over 10 minutes but nothing happens

What the hell i made incorrect.
Everything on Windows 7 32Bit and for Telnet i tried Putty and the windows telnet.

The discussion might have continued from here.