OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: custom hardware running openwrt

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

does anyone out there has some leads for developing a custom board running OpenWRT? As the policies of the wifi chip manufactures are quite prohibitive, which rules out to just go with the Atheros reference design, it should be something that uses OEM minipci cards or compact flash wifi device with a MIPS cpu, RAM and FLASH.

I have seen a couple of such boards out there (at least running some other embedded linux distro), but they are usually pretty large. I, however, would like to build something with the form factor of the fonera, which allows easy access to all peripherals (SD card, UART, USB).

Cheers,
Nikolaus

It's an interesting one correll. Fon actually buy their devices from a company called Accton. They then flash them with their modified firmware.

The hardware itself appears to be rebranded "Mini-Routers" - http://www.accton.com/products/product_ … R3202A.htm

I would be interested to any further answers to this. Basically, what's the cheapest way to put together an OpenWRT device that can be bought en-masse?

The discussion might have continued from here.