Topic: Yellow Machine Support

Dear All,
I just registered in this forum, but I've been using openWRT in a WRT54gs for more than a year, and I'm more than happy. I really want to thank you all for the great job you do.
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I have an ARM box called "Yellow Machine", from a company that dissapeared some time ago. The machine is basically a 200mhz ARM processor, 64 mb ram, 4 hard drives (using raid 5), 2 network interfaces (10/100) and a serial port. It boots Linux 2.4.25 with a custom driver for the hard drive controller, but the rest seems to be reasonably standard. It can also boot using TFTP. I have a copy of the source code of the custom kernel they are using.
Do you think it would be possible to support it in openWRT? My idea is to buy one on eBay and donate it to this project, but first I need to know if this machine fits with your development plans.
If you need more info about this box, please contact me. Here you can see the dmesg output: http://chilenisch.dyndns.org/~jose/dmesg.txt

Thanks!

Jose

Re: Yellow Machine Support

Hello Jose,

The specs look good, getting it supported with OpenWrt is possible, but I would like to take a look at the sourcecodes to be able to estimate anything about how much time is required for the port.

You can get the kernel's source from: http://chilenisch.dyndns.org/~jose/linu … .00-3.tbz2

Thanks!

Jose

4 (edited by jgardia 2009-07-19 14:51:48)

Dear All,
I think I can get a machine for donation. What should I do? Is anyone interested to do the porting?

Cheers!

jose

I have one of these Yellow Machine boxes and I am just getting into 'hacking' the machine.

Here's what I have found (as a non-proficient Linux user)

A lot of dependencies are unmet for doing any type of apt-get command
The Linux resides on a ROM chip on the box (not on one of the hard drives)
Any attempt I have made to update the version of Linux, as my ultimate goal is to get Java running on it, has failed, miserably..

I am willing to give up one of these boxes for a period of time for anyone more proficient to play around with it, but it is not up for donation, I will require the box back at some point

Anybody have any suggestions/wishes to borrow the box?

Regards,
Ted Brewsaugh
Stay-Linked

Hi TedBrew,
AFAIK, linux resides in the hard drives, in the /dev/md9 raid1 partition (look at the /boot directory). If you have the original recovery cd (I lost mine) you can also boot it using tftp.
The linux distributios is Debian based, but heavily tweaked, and completely outdated, so if you try to update it, you will probably break it.
What I would like to do, is to have a newer kernel version, but the hard drive controller, KingGate, it's only present in the modified kernel version it has (2.4.25) and nowhere else. fortunately, I have a copy of the source, but I don't think I will be able to port it to 2.6 kernel.
My father has one that is not in use anymore, I think that one can be donated. The problem is that the machine is in Chile. I think I can bring it to Germany in November, since i'm going to visit them.
I think it's great to have someone else in the same boat!

Cheers,

Jose