OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Trendnet TEW-632BRP, TEW-652BRP, DLink DIR-615 C1, CC WLN2206 working!

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

dbisoi wrote:

Hi Armchair,
My model is actuallu TEW 652 BRP.
thanks,
dbisoi

Have you tried them? Actually the notes are the same for both in DD-Wrt WIP thread. I don't have either Trendnet router but I think the TEW-632 builds mentioned were intended for the TEW-652. Only difference may be the hexid.

The OpenWrt trunks do list separate .uni files per model. Sorry I can't be more specific since I don't have that model. But you may find once you flash it that it won't matter if you're using bin/uni for either 615,632, or 652. Thoughts anyone?

If you'd like to try OpenWrt, try one of these: http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/
there you'll find : http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … uashfs.uni

Once you flash that, you can telnet 192.168.1.1 (I use the Windows Command Prompt) and add Luci (opkg update<requires INTERNET connection>, opkg install Luci-admin-full, opkg install Luci-fastindex; if you want to configure firewall in GUI, opkg install Luci-app-firewall) Then you can IP log-in and configure within the Webui or GUI and try OpenWrt)

If you don't like it, use the recovery flash (cycle power to router and hold reset until power led flashes, goto IP 192.168.10.1 or 192.168.0.1) and try one of the others I suggested before.

(Last edited by armchair on 15 Jan 2010, 03:35)

armchair wrote:

If you don't have Luci and would rather flash another f/w, go back to your recovery mode by cycling power and holding the reset button until the power indicator flashes then goto IP 192.168.10.1 or 192.168.0.1 and browse to saved location on PC for flash.

There are pre-built versions that have webui functioning; see fratzicu (above) and here's another I've tried: http://sites.google.com/a/roundsparrow. … nwrt_ap81/

armchair, Thanks A Ton for pointing me into the right direction. I got OpenWRT (w/ LuCI) running on my TEW-652BRP router.

mjonescalpoly wrote:

armchair, Thanks A Ton for pointing me into the right direction. I got OpenWRT (w/ LuCI) running on my TEW-652BRP router.

mjonescalpoly,

You're welcome but you'll soon find I didn't help much, just a nudge in the right direction. The thanks goes to those that develop OpenWrt and to those that compile and share as well.

What version did you d/l? Trunk snapshot or someone else's compilation?

I'm active on this again, right now I have a Linksys WRT400N which is a dual-radio (5ghz,2.4Ghz) version of this platform.  I don't have my Trendnet routers handy, but hope to resume regular testing in the next few weeks.

RoundSparrow wrote:

I'm active on this again, right now I have a Linksys WRT400N which is a dual-radio (5ghz,2.4Ghz) version of this platform.  I don't have my Trendnet routers handy, but hope to resume regular testing in the next few weeks.

Good to hear from you again RoundSparrow,

Thanks for contributions and this thread! You really laid a lot of options out for us here and I've had plenty to test without having to compile my own. Have you or could you consider a project request: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 896#p99896 (?)

It just seems with the space limitations that maybe a two-fold approach could be undertaken, one with wireless capabilities and the other with wired ETHERNET. But maybe a better all around build could be accomplished. I myself was looking for some packages that would enhance the switching function for network streaming HD video over TCP protocol but maybe the switch itself is the weak link. For fast forward and skipping ahead HD streams, the switch seems to slow given its 100MBps speed. A gigabit switch works better despite the fact that the devices streaming are only 100MBps.

Anyway, I thought the LAN and WAN Qos could make a difference which is why Gargoyle interested me. Tomato looks interesting as well but at least for streaming, I may have to consider another router.                         

The router is fairly stable using the latest bleeding edge trunks but wireless users are lacking some encryption as noted in the thread.

Looking forward to testing some new things with this router; thanks again!

I need help! I've bricked my 632BRP with this: http://www.sendspace.com/file/12yj5d

Tried everything found on the internet to unbrick it, and haven't succeeded. Tried to power while pressing reset, (status led flashes) but the pages 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.1.1 will not respond. Tried setting host ip to 192.168.0.2 etc... Didn't work. Please help!

Thank you

kozik, I did hear that using internet explorer can magically make it work in some instances.  What browser were you using?

kozik wrote:

I need help! I've bricked my 632BRP with this: http://www.sendspace.com/file/12yj5d

Tried everything found on the internet to unbrick it, and haven't succeeded. Tried to power while pressing reset, (status led flashes) but the pages 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.1.1 will not respond. Tried setting host ip to 192.168.0.2 etc... Didn't work. Please help!

Thank you

If I'm not mistaken, the holding reset during power-on is part of the 30-30-30 NVRAM thorough reset (also referred to as a hard reset) which is holding reset for 90 seconds, in three 30 second intervals, starting with power on (start 30 second holds), power off (continue holding) and finally releasing 30 seconds after re-applying power. This s/b done before and after a flash but will not clear a flash. Interestingly, I've not done the 30-30-30 hard reset before or after a flash with my D-Link DIR-615C1 at any time but I read it's a must for the new NEWD2 flashes in DD-WRT (not this model but came upon some notes while researching other routers) and those are still considered beta and could still brick some routers.

Have you tried simply cycling power and then holding reset until the power LED flashes, to get to recovery flash? (This worked well with my D-Link DIR-615C1 but if it is already flashing try to telnet the original IP (if you had flashed OpenWrt previously) or try default recovery flash IP.) Default gateway s/b 192.168.10.1 on subnet 255.255.255.0 so use IP 192.168.10.x for static IP on PC. But since some have said that recovery thinks the router is a D-Link, maybe they meant that the recovery IP reverts to 192.168.0.1 (gateway) so try it again with subnet 255.255.255.0 and PC set to static in range of 192.168.0.x.

Just a thought, the file you flashed downloads as a .zip; I would think that it wouldn't flash until it's unzipped. Sorry if you've already tried these and find this is just old info.

Otherwise, you may need to recover it with the JTAG serial cable but I don't know if that's been done successfully in this forum with Athros. The DD-WRT WIP thread shows the JTAG pin-out but the notes were incomplete, IIRC. Good Luck!

I have a Fry's FR-300RTR  (only $30!) which seems to be a repackaged dlink DIR-615 rev E1 that looks like it has very similar chips on it

the full FCC links are at:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/rep … p;fcc_id=$

the chips are
Athros ar7240-ah1e 400MHz??
ar9283-al1a 2.5/5GHz a/b/g/n
25l3205dmi1?g 4M flash
w9425g6eh-5h 256M ram

is it likely that the images from this topic are the right ones to use on this device?

I have many years of linux experiace, but am new to openwrt

Hi,
I have been using a TEW 652 BRP which is fine but boots very frequently.Which is very annoying.Has anyone found a solution?I have tried keeping it upright but do not think helps a lot.Will flashing it DIR 615 fw make it better?
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Thanks,
Dbisoi

dbisoi wrote:

Hi,
I have been using a TEW 652 BRP which is fine but boots very frequently.Which is very annoying.Has anyone found a solution?I have tried keeping it upright but do not think helps a lot.Will flashing it DIR 615 fw make it better?
Thanks,
Dbisoi

Hi dbisoi,

Can you be more specific about your reboot problem? What f/w is causing this and are you using wired ETHERNET or wireless or both?

I'm using OpenWrt trunk on a wired ETHERNET only application on my DIR-615 C1 and have not noticed any rebooting problems; maybe someone else can help you out if you can describe the problem in detail.

dbisoi wrote:

Hi,
Thanks,
Dbisoi

Hi dbisoi,

I also have a TEW 652-BRP v1.1 (got mine from Fry’s, so yours maybe a 1.0, or 1.1,  i can't speak for the 2.x line) which would reboot every 10 seconds after a failed attempt of upgrading from 1.10.08 to 1.10.14 of Trendnet's factory firmware.  From what i read, when that happens, your router is "bricked" / hosed whatever you want to call it and needs to be re-flashed.  Here's the process i followed to get it working again w/ the original tew-652brp firmware (as well as OpenWrt and DIR all on the same tew-652brp unit).

Getting to uboot / recovery flash mode:
0) unplug your router
1) Press in and hold your reset button and do NOT release
2) While holding the reset button, plug the power back into your router and continue to hold the reset button
3) The status light will come on and hold and eventually it will start blinking ever 1/2 - 1 second.  Once it starts to repeatedly flash, release the reset button and connect an ethernet cord to your PC (if you haven't already).
4) Go into your PC's network settings and assign yourself the private IP of 192.168.0.2
5) The router is now in recover mode and is listening to HTTP request on 192.168.0.1
6) Open up Internet explorer (or Firefox, just make sure you clear your caches in both) and navigate to 192.168.0.1
7) You are now in the recovery flash GUI

Re-flashing your tew-652brp to original settings:
This gets tricky as each unit was "initially" flashed differently depending on when it was released.  In my case, i actually had to flash it back to a 632BRP flash (because my unit was expecting a tew632-BRP product ID, i still wonder if the hw is the same in these units).  You can try various flash files and the recover flash will tell you if the file is valid or invalid.  What i learned for me is you should first try the following flash files to recover to factory settings.

1) Try the original FW 1.10.B08 (1.10.08) TEW652BRPA1_FW110B08.bin

2) If it says this is an invalid image file, before trying something else, open the file in Notepad++ (or another hex editor) and go the very end of the file and try changing it to one of the following PRODUCT ID's depending on your product (See Product Identity Codes below).

(For example, if the TEW-632 BRP firmware is what works for you to get out of recovery mode and recover your router, then you need to use the TEW-632BRP Product ID in the TEW-652BRP 1.10.B08 file in order for it to load successfully when you convert back to 652brp firmware.  If the TEW-652BRP 1.10.08 worked for you without having to back to the 632 firmware, then more than likely you can just bypass the product ID changes.  Hope that didn't confuse you)

3) If this was successful, it will begin to download the firmware (DO NOT STOP THE PROCESS even if your PC says you're LAN is unplugged. DO NOT HIT BACK OR FORWARD OR STOP OR ANYTHING).

4) When the update completes successfully and the router reboots, it will come back w/ the Trendnet 1.10.08 firmware.  I recommend pressing the reset button again to restore factory settings.  You will need to re-configure your network settings to obtain IP address automatically as your DHCP server on your unit is now enabled and is listening on the factory IP of 192.168.10.1.  If your router isn't listening on 192.168.10.1, press and hold the reset button while the unit is on to restore factory settings OR try to go to your most recently configured LAN settings as the flash process may have retained those settings if you changed them before your router got hosed.

5) If step 3 failed OR the recovery flash UI indicated the 652BRP file is still invalid after changing the product ID, try using the TEW-632BRP 1.10.B13 (1.10.13) Firmware (TEW632BRPA1_FW110B13__652.bin )

6) If this file works, afterwards you can then repeat steps 1 - 3 above using the 652 1.10.08 file but before you do, modify the product ID at the end of the bin file to match the product ID in the TEW 632 file you flashed previously.

7) When the router reboots, you'll now notice it says its a 652 router

8) At this point, you can re-flash from the Trendnet Firmware Update GUI (not the recover flash mode) an up-to-date factory firmware.  OR you can flash to OpenWrt using the OpenWrt-ar71xx-tew-652brp-squashfs.uni or the DIR 615 rev C 3.11 firmware (obtained from Dlink site).

NOTE:.uni files work, if you get an invalid file error during the flash process edit the file and change the product ID to match your tew-652brp unit (u can also copy and paste it from the last working flash file you used).

NOTE: To put on the DLink DIR-615 REV C firmware, I had to start with 3.01 version of the firmware first (remember to update the flash file with the TEW-652 product ID using a hex editor like Notepad++).  Use the recovery flash mode to flash the unit to 3.01 and after the unit has been flashed and reboots, you can use the DLink GUI to upgrade the firmware to 3.11.

Long story short, to recover a bricked TEW-652 to stock firmware, you need to use the recovery console and flash to the original 652 1.10.08 firmware or 632 firmware and then convert back to 652.  After which you can then flash to OpenWrt or DLINK DIR Rev C (earlier revisions are not Atheros based, so make sure its rev C 3.11) firmware (using the regular admin UI or the recover flash UI.. I can't quite clearly remember, but i think the DLink firmware has to be done via recovery mode, but i think i got OpenWrt firmware to work using the normal UI).

If i've misreported anything, someone please correct me, but this is the best i could remember on what I did . I didn't take much notes along the way because i was trying to hit a moving target.  It took hours of reading through these forums to figure how this all works.  I hope this sums it up for people who run into this issue or just want to know how to put an open source firmware on their TEW-652BRP router.  Also, if something doesn't seem clear, i recommend reading through RoundSparrow's and armchair's postings on this thread... it helped me out tremendously.

FILE LINKS:
OpenWrt TEW-652BRP Firmware snapshot: (i believe the only other option is to compile one yourself)
http://downloads.OpenWrt.org/snapshots/ … uashfs.uni
After flashing to OpenWrt to get the web GUI working perform the following:
0. After flashing to OpenWrt firmware, recycle the power on the TEW-652 unit and hold the reset button for about 30 seconds (perform a factory reset).
1. Open a command prompt and type "telnet 192.168.1.1"
2. You'll now be at the openwrt console and need to type the following (make sure your router's WAN connection is connected to a live internet connection).
3. at the prompt type opkg update
4. After the list update completes, type opkg install luci-admin-full
5. opkg install luci-fastindex
6. opkg install luci-theme-openwrt (or luci-theme-openwrtlight for retaining more flash space for additional packages)
(more details can be found on armchair's posting earlier in this thread).

DLink DIR-615 REV C 3.01/3.11NA: (must start with 3.01 first on TEW-652BRP hardware)
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir615_revC … _311NA.zip

Trendnet TEW-632/652BRP Firmware downloads: (must start with 1.10.08 first to recover a TEW-652BRP unit)
http://downloads.trendnet.com/tew-652brp/firmware/
http://downloads.trendnet.com/tew-632br … r_Utility/
(on some TEW-652 units you may have to use the TEW-632BRP firmware first to recover a bricked unit and then use the TEW-652 firmware; or try changing just the identity code in the TEW-652 firmware .bin file to the 632 identity code)

Identity codes:
Trendnet TEW-632BRP version A1.1R, AP81-AR9130-RT-070614-00
Trendnet TEW-632BRP version A1.0R, AP81-AR9130-RT-070614-00
Trendnet TEW-652BRP, AP81-AR9130-RT-080609-05
DLink DIR-615 revision C1, AP81-AR9130-RT-080609-05. (IMPORTANT: Earlier revisions of this router are not Atheros based, a major change was made.)
(on some TEW-652 units, you may have to modify the identity code in the firmware file to get the recover flash console to recognize the file as a valid image).

(Last edited by oddjob on 30 Jan 2010, 23:44)

Oddjob,
Thanks a lot.
Has DIR 615 fw given you better performance?
My attempts at flashing imy TEW 652 BRP with DIR 615 fw fails...saying "incorrect file".Do you have one that worked for you?
Thanks
dbisoi

dbisoi wrote:

Oddjob,
Thanks a lot.
My attempts at flashing imy TEW 652 BRP with DIR 615 fw fails...saying "incorrect file".Do you have one that worked for you?
Thanks
dbisoi

I haven't really had a chance to compare the performance between the DLink firmware and Trendnet.

For Dlink to work you have to start with the 3.01 firmware first and then you can upgrade it to 3.10 once you get 3.01 installed.
So go to http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&am … R-615_revC

Download the REV C (make sure its REV C) version 3.01 .  Edit the file and change the product ID from a DLink product ID to the TEW-652BRP id and then go into recovery mode and flash your unit.

After that, you can reboot your router, and use the Dlink GUI to upgrade to 3.11.

Hope that helps

(Last edited by oddjob on 27 Jan 2010, 06:04)

dbisoi wrote:

Oddjob,
Thanks a lot.
Thanks
dbisoi

Hi again dbisoi,

Excellent advise from Oddjob! His instructions should help TEW-652 users in this forum!

My refurbished D-Link DIR-615, C1 never did well with any version of D-Link f/w. I kept getting a randomly slow WAN connection and put up with that longer than I should have but was getting mixed answers from my ISP saying they were doing maintenence and upgrades to lines. But with the OpenWrt it's running very well and fast with wired-ETHERNET (no wireless here, I just ran wires through the attic to avoid wireless connections).

To add to Oddjob's comments, the D-Link f/w 3.10NA & 3.11NA re-write the recovery flash and also locks the UI flash upgrade to 3.1xNA upgrades which will block any attempts to flash to third party f/w like OpenWrt. It may be different with Netgear but the D-Link devices will do this. There has been complaints in the D-Link forum about the 3.11NA f/w and desires to return to 3.01 but it's prohibited by D-Link's new policy. Not being down on D-Link but the forum has been calling D-Link to release a newer updated version of f/w but that request seems to be ignored on this build. To comply with open source, they offer a GPL code and d/l for developers. I think the major bug with the 3.11NA f/w is the SIP filter which needs to be un-checked it the user has a VOIP ATA behind the router.

If you find that you cannot return to third party f/w or Trendnet, follow Oddjob's suggestion in his first response about using a hex editor like Notepad++ (I use it and recommend it for simplicity and it's free) and change (just open and scroll to bottom/right for ID) your desired flash ID to: 00AP81-AR9130-RT-070614-02 This will defeat the steps taken by D-Link to prohibit third-party f/w upgrades. I think the developers in OpenWrt picked up on this and have corrected the 615C1 uni flashes in the latest trunk flashes for Kamikaze but your trendnet device may or may not be effected the same way (IDK?). If I'm right on all that, you may be able to flash directly from D-Link 3.11NA f/w to latest trunk snapshot for 615-C1.uni

But make sure you hard reset router before and after flash to avoid the problems you started with. It wouldn't hurt to reset defaults in UI and then do the 30-30-30 hard reset. And if I'm wrong, the recovery flash with the hex editor will get back out of D-Link f/w.

Also (instructions above updated as well)... if you're installing the OpenWrt firmware ... after you reboot the route
the LUCI - ADMIN interface won't be installed (sorry i forgot this step).. you'll need to do the following after you flash to the openwrt firmware.

0. After flashing to OpenWrt firmware, recycle the power on the TEW-652 unit and hold the reset button for about 30 seconds (perform a factory reset).
1. Open a command prompt and type "telnet 192.168.1.1"
2. You'll now be at the openwrt console and need to type the following (make sure your router's WAN connection is connected to a live internet connection).
3. at the prompt type opkg update
4. After the list update completes, type opkg install luci-admin-full
5. opkg install luci-fastindex
6. opkg install luci-theme-openwrt (or luci-theme-openwrtlight for retaining more flash space for additional packages)
(more details can be found on armchair's posting earlier in this thread).

Sorry I forgot that step.

Hello i have a question. I have TEW-632BRP with Firmware Dir-615 rev.C1 v.3.11N  and i have slow download on wireless... on cable without the router i download with 10-12mb/s and with router on cable i download with 6mb/s and on wireless with max 3-4mb/s if i have connection on 300mbs and if is slower the max speed on download is 500kb/s.... WHY??? what can i do to download faster and to config the wireless better.??? please help me i don't know what to do.

I just installed the snapshot that is up as of today with my TEW-652.  I couldn't figure out how to get the radios working either, but here's what I installed:

opkg update
opkg install luci-admin-full
opkg install luci-fastindex
opkg install luci-theme-openwrtlight
opkg install wireless-tools
opkg install kmod-ath9k
opkg install hostapd
opkg install hostapd-utils

After installing those, I was able to configure the radio with SSID etc.  I tested streaming some video over the wireless from my other PC, and it's working.  I think you'd only need at a minimum, wireless-tools and kmod-ath9k.  I wanted hostapd for WPA and luci for web admin.

Hope that helps.

(Last edited by bartsplanet on 2 Feb 2010, 05:19)

bartsplanet wrote:

I just installed the snapshot that is up as of today with my TEW-652.  I couldn't figure out how to get the radios working either, but here's what I installed:

opkg update
opkg install luci-admin-full
opkg install luci-fastindex
opkg install luci-theme-openwrtlight
opkg install wireless-tools
opkg install kmod-ath9k
opkg install hostapd
opkg install hostapd-utils

After installing those, I was able to configure the radio with SSID etc.  I tested streaming some video over the wireless from my other PC, and it's working.  I think you'd only need at a minimum, wireless-tools and kmod-ath9k.  I wanted hostapd for WPA and luci for web admin.

Hope that helps.

802.11n mode work ?
I have wifi N Mode in X-WRT  if install these packages ? Or still something needs to be made ?

For the firmware that is for the TEW-652 BRP, is it for hardware version 1...2 or both?

(Last edited by QuanManChu on 6 Feb 2010, 22:54)

QuanManChu wrote:

For the firmware that is for the TEW-652 BRP, is it for hardware version 1...2 or both?

ver.2 NO Support !

You've got to be kidding me....why not?

What would be the advantage of switching to DD-Wrt? DD-Wrt was my first choice but OpenWrt looks easier to add packages, despite using the trunk snapshots.

I like to try packages and actually found some that work for me. siproxd is an easy SIP VOIP tool that requires no firewall configuration on my part. Some network tools I found and still use are frickin, privoxy and crowdcontrol which still fit along with luci-admin-full, luci-fastindex and luci-app-qos. This is a dedicated wired setup with no use for wireless. I just run ETHERNET cables rather than hassle with wireless. I have two PCs, two media streamers, and a VOIP adapter networked through a managed switch for BW limiting and vlans.

If I don't like a package; reflash latest trunk, verify md5sum and telnet the opkg update and opkg install of packages is a snap. I've found that I don't even have to move my PC from switch to router. And I don't even have to cycle power to my modem, router or VOIP adapter to do any of this. And no configuring on my part except the downlink and uplink speeds of my network for Qos in Luci.

I have a gigabit router with beta Tomato that could probably run circles around this router but I'd rather put OpenWrt on it than figure out that USB Optware workaround to add the packages so I'm waiting on Oleg or OpenWrt for that. But then again, my network use is mostly local and no GB or TB of data to transfer and INTERNET is mostly for browsing, VOIP and occasional video downloads so this router supports my needs just fine for now. I wouldn't say it's a workhorse due to my demand but it's been very stable and reliable as my primary router. And I wouldn't go back D-Link f/w, even if they release another revision!

I do stream HD video but only locally, the switch is handling that task just fine also.

Thanks again OpenWrt developers!!!