OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: LAN client connecting to WAN IP is intercepted by OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I've configured my Linksys with X-Wrt: static WAN IP address like 1.2.3.106/24, LAN address 192.168.255.0/24. It does NAT well, and I have some firewall rules configured via X-WRT which connect public address ports (80, 25, ...) to my servers' LAN addresses.

But when I try to connect from the inside (LAN) to my external address (1.2.3.106), e.g., with a web browser or telnet session, I get the OpenWRT X-WRT web server.

I suspect there's some default IPtable rule which is intercepting connections from the LAN instead of forwarding them to the WAN interface so they'll "come back in" and get mapped by NAT back to my internal addresses.  But I don't know iptables well at all and I haven't found similar discussions in this forum or other searches.

Any clues? Thanks.

have similar problem, did you find any solution?

I have to say that I switched from OpenWRT to Tomato firmware and that problem disappeared. I think I subsequently read of some config setting that might have fixed this, but never went back to try it.

Tomato also allowed me to use my 20/5Mbps FIOS link at full speed, instead of the 10% that OpenWRT gave me.  And it's an integrated solution, which I prefer to OpenWRT's split between code and web UI.

Don't mean to sound like I'm bashing OpenWRT, I've used it happily for quite a while. I just found Tomato easier/better for my needs and now run it on my 4 Linksys routers.

The discussion might have continued from here.