OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: I wrong with /etc/config/network

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

I have a router WRT54GL (Linksys).... I installed Openwrt and before a year I modiefied /etc/config/network  file, but I wrong.
Now my router not respond (logically) ...
Please help me.

My S.O is Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron
When I write (by console) "ping 192.168.1.1" the result is: "From XXX icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable" for all seq.

Very thanks and sorry for my english I'm Italian...

I think you need serial connectivity to the router.

Can you get into the failsafe mode, which does not mount the jffs2 root filesystem (so it will use the original version of /etc/config/network that came with openwrt).

See here:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Troubleshooting

If you can get into failsafe mode, you should not need a serial port.

Also, if boot_wait is enabled, shouldn't you be able to tftp a new image over?

Thanks... now I don't understand was happened because:
I did this:
Plug in the router and wait for the DMZ LED to light up. Then immediately press and hold the reset button for 2 seconds. If done right the DMZ LED will quickly flash 3 times every second.
(from http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Troubleshooting)

After this I can't enter to 192.168.1.1 but I entered in internet hmm

How do I resolve?

Did you try telnet and ssh?  I believe in failsafe mode, root does not have a password so it uses telnet instead of ssh.  Can you ping your wrt54gl?

What do you mean when you say "but I entered in internet"?

- Boot and login via Telnet in 'failsafe mode'

- Copy the original config file from the read-only flash part: cp -fpR /rom/etc/config/network /etc/config/network

- reboot

And finnally login via Telnet (telnet 192.168.1.1) set a password (passwd) and relogin again with SSH (ssh root@192.168.1.1)

Yanira wrote:

- Boot and login via Telnet in 'failsafe mode'

I boot in failsafe mode but when I write " telnet 192.168.1.1" the result is "timeout"...
I am inexperienced ... how can I do?

(Last edited by darkshine on 15 Nov 2008, 11:20)

The discussion might have continued from here.