OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: I need a DSL modem router

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,
I would like to buy a DSL modem router. But I don't know exactly which works with OpenWrt.
Asus ? Linksys ? D-Link ? Negear ?
Just I need a DSL modem with ehernet. Wireless is not necessary.

Many thanks in advance,
David

You did not say where you are. In the western USA, any Fry's store will have two or three models from Actiontec, which should all work.

Sorry, I am in Barcelona.
You say any Actiontec should work with Openwrt, wich model do you recommend me t search around here or internet ?

Many thanks,
David

In Spain, it should be very easy to obtain any UK model. Most will have either Texas Instruments or Broadcom inside. If it is sold as a router rather than just a modem, then there should be a way to make it work. Units sold simply as modems usually do not have enough RAM or flash.

Hello,

this is my first post, please be patient with me.

I have a similar request, I also look for a modem-router.
Is there a way to find out from the list at
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

Which of those devices have a dsl modem included?

Thanks for your help
Bye wrtHektor

Wellcome to everybody,

Read this category:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/CategoryDslModems

But I am not sure if all of those DSL Modems are suportted with OpenWrt.
I need the Network Service RFC1483 (That means not PPPoA or PPPoE).
Also I need VC Parameters: VPI (8) and VCI (32).

I am thinking to buy a D-Link G524T. I don't need wireless.
What do you think ???

Many thanks,
David

dgs wrote:

Just disable the WiFi.

mazilo wrote:
dgs wrote:

Just disable the WiFi.

Does it work properly with OpenWrt ?
Just I need a DSL modem router with ethernet and working with OpenWrt. I love it. But I don't know exactly which works with it. Asus ? Linksys ? D-Link ? Netgear ? (Wireless is not necessary).

Many thanks,
David

dgs wrote:
mazilo wrote:
dgs wrote:

Just disable the WiFi.

David, sorry and I don't have the answer. sad

mazilo wrote:
dgs wrote:
mazilo wrote:

Just disable the WiFi.

David, sorry and I don't have the answer. sad

No problem wink

dgs wrote:

What do you think ???
David

As it is an ar7 device, there are some problems with it. I have the 624t version, and a lot of trouble handle the modem line stable with the actual trunks 13xxx. With 11xxx is was better, but I had also some drops from time to time. AR7 devices do not seem have the best modem build in. I than switched to usr 9107, that one is broadcom based. Rocksolid with my line, but still running on the branded fw.
It has a bcm63xxx inside, so should be openwrt capable with the new trunk. Did not tried it yet for myself.

Finally I bought the Linksys model wag200g with Firmware Version 1.01.06
It works fine at the moment, in the future I would like to upgrade the firmware. I thinks there is some development with third-party firmware.... anybody knows something more ???

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.

David

Hello David,

sorry I read your question to late. I try also at first wag200g but it was not a good solution. OpenWRT does not work out of the Box, only 4 MB flash and 8 MB RAM. But it works on Telefonica ADSL. Have a look to http://woytekm.googlepages.com/linksyswag200g-eu

I believe the best solution for spain is a router with USB but without any DSL modem. For example ASUS WL-500gP or a ALIX Board. This routers can be used with a USB ADSL Modem: Conexant USB with cxacru driver or Speedtouch. Both drivers are working and a firmware package for speedtouch is in the package tree. Only the firmware for the cxacru driver must be installed manually. The configuration is very easy:

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option proto    pppoa
        option ifname   ppp0
        #option debug   1
        option encaps   vc
        option vpi      8
        option vci      35
        option username "user"
        option password "pw"

The Connexant USB ADSL Model is from Telefonica "KIT ADSL USB". The original vendor is VITELCOM. syslog with USB info:

Jan  2 19:14:51 mobile01 usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
Jan  2 19:14:52 mobile01 usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice                 
Jan  2 19:14:52 mobile01 usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0572, idProduct=cafe   
Jan  2 19:14:52 mobile01 usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Jan  2 19:14:52 mobile01 usb 1-1: Product: ADSL USB MODEM                                 
Jan  2 19:14:52 mobile01 usb 1-1: Manufacturer: -                                         
Jan  2 19:14:52 mobile01 usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 67882636                                  
Jan  2 19:14:52 mobile01 NET: Registered protocol family 8                                
Jan  2 19:14:52 mobile01 NET: Registered protocol family 20                               
Jan  2 19:14:54 mobile01 cxacru 1-1:1.0: receive of cm 0x90 failed (-104)                 
Jan  2 19:14:54 mobile01 firmware: requesting cxacru-fw.bin                               
Jan  2 19:14:54 mobile01 usbcore: registered new interface driver cxacru                  
Jan  2 19:14:54 mobile01 cxacru 1-1:1.0: found firmware cxacru-fw.bin                     
Jan  2 19:14:54 mobile01 firmware: requesting cxacru-bp.bin                               
Jan  2 19:14:54 mobile01 cxacru 1-1:1.0: found firmware cxacru-bp.bin                     
Jan  2 19:14:54 mobile01 firmware: requesting cxacru-cf.bin                               
Jan  2 19:14:54 mobile01 cxacru 1-1:1.0: found firmware cxacru-cf.bin                     
Jan  2 19:15:00 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL state: stopped                                   
Jan  2 19:15:00 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL line: down                                       
Jan  2 19:15:01 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL state: running                                   
Jan  2 19:15:01 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL line: initializing                               
Jan  2 19:15:02 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL line: down                                       
Jan  2 19:15:08 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL line: attempting to activate                     
Jan  2 19:15:09 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL line: down                                       
Jan  2 19:15:11 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL line: attempting to activate                     
Jan  2 19:15:15 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL line: training                                   
Jan  2 19:15:17 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL line: channel analysis                           
Jan  2 19:15:21 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL line: exchange                                   
Jan  2 19:15:22 mobile01 ATM dev 0: ADSL line: up (1024 kb/s down | 320 kb/s up)
norbert wrote:

Hello David,

sorry I read your question to late. I try also at first wag200g but it was not a good solution. OpenWRT does not work out of the Box, only 4 MB flash and 8 MB RAM. But it works on Telefonica ADSL. Have a look to http://woytekm.googlepages.com/linksyswag200g-eu

I have a static IP with Telefonica and wag200g works fine with the original firmware.
The problem is that it does not have an telnet or ssh access. Maybe the third party it does have.
The another problem is that I can not forwarding ports prom another LAN. Only it is possible forwarding from the same subnet LAN. I mean: IP LAN: 192.168.1.1 only forwarding ports to 192.168.1.x

norbert wrote:

I believe the best solution for spain is a router with USB but without any DSL modem. For example ASUS WL-500gP or a ALIX Board. This routers can be used with a USB ADSL Modem: Conexant USB with cxacru driver or Speedtouch. Both drivers are working and a firmware package for speedtouch is in the package tree. Only the firmware for the cxacru driver must be installed manually.

It is not a bad idea but I believe in your scenario we need more devices, a USB ADSL Modem and the ASUS WL-500gP or the ALIX Board. As well there a differents kind of boards from ALIX...

norbert wrote:

The configuration is very easy:

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option proto    pppoa
        option ifname   ppp0
        #option debug   1
        option encaps   vc
        option vpi      8
        option vci      35
        option username "user"
        option password "pw"

As I said I have a static IP with Telefonica. It will not work in my case.

Thanks a lot !!!

Hi I found this thread through google while searchnig for the missing cxacru-cf.bin file.
I have a cxacru-fw.bin  but where the heck can the other firmware file be found?

Obviously norbert has this file - from where do you have it?

The WAG200G works well enough with the woytekm firmware mentioned above. That firmware also adds an SSH daemon, so you can log on to the router directly.

The big downside to working with the WAG200G that I have found is that the ADAM2 bootloader appears to be crippled. By that I mean that it refuses to be interrupted before booting the kernel, and does not pause to allow upload of a replacement firmware by TFTP.

My plan at this stage is to get my JTAG cable working, back up the existing bootloader, and then experiment with rebuilding a new bootloader from the sources on Linksys' FTP server, including the TFTP and interrupt capability. After that, it will be a lot more comfortable to experiment with OpenWRT, knowing that it is possible to recover without a 16 hour JTAG session rewriting the entire flash chip.

dgs wrote:

Wellcome to everybody,

Read this category:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/CategoryDslModems

what's the actualized page i should be reading when trying to set up an ADSL modem with openWRT?

searching for dsl on the wiki is pointless. most modem names have that on the model name. I'm trying to set up my actiontec GT701D ... almost considering going trhu the hassle of flashing it with the original firmware again sad

(Last edited by gcbwrt on 24 Jul 2012, 07:09)

The discussion might have continued from here.