OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: New Broadcom BCM63xx codebase with GPL'd Ethernet and USB support

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

misteroX wrote:

Even after i have inserted the required parameters, at every boot i see this.

I'm unable to send something via tftp.

what can it be?

Thanks
MisteroX

Take a look at the OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Netgear/DG834GT:

Board IP address                : 192.168.1.1:ffffff00
Host IP address                 : 192.168.1.100
Gateway IP address              :
Run from flash/host (f/h)       : f
Default host run file name      : vmlinux
Default host flash file name    : bcm963xx_fs_kernel
Boot delay (0-9 seconds)        : 1
Board Id Name                   : 96348GW-10
Psi size in KB                  : 16
Number of MAC Addresses (1-32)  : 2
Base MAC Address                : 00:1b:2f:32:ab:31
Ethernet PHY Type               : Internal
Memory size in MB               : 16

The BCM6348 has two ethernet ports ... so I guess, you have to enter two for the number of macs.
And normally the cfe supports http-firmware upgrade, if the addresses are set correct.

So enter your settings, stop the auto run and try to upload the original netgear firmware.
http://<router-address>

Hope that helps

What's exactly the state of this port? can I build the firmware and upload to my router using the web interface (Comtrend 536+)?

Keep the good work!

Yes you can build it up yourself and install it, although you must have a serial cable for the flash and some knowledge of what you are doing. DSL modem as far as I know won't work, but WiFi, switch and USB should do fine.

Follow what T3l3m4k0 said in some posts (although most of those things are already impkemented in the trunk).

Greetings

bluegeek wrote:

What's exactly the state of this port? can I build the firmware and upload to my router using the web interface (Comtrend 536+)?

Keep the good work!

sblanco wrote:

Yes you can build it up yourself and install it, although you must have a serial cable for the flash and some knowledge of what you are doing. DSL modem as far as I know won't work, but WiFi, switch and USB should do fine.

Thanks sblanco. Is it possible to build an image for upgrading via the Web interface or TFTP? is only a matter of adding some binary info in the header of the firmware? can we do this with an hex editor?

-- blue

(Last edited by bluegeek on 25 Nov 2008, 13:08)

bluegeek wrote:
sblanco wrote:

Thanks sblanco. Is it possible to build an image for upgrading via the Web interface or TFTP? is only a matter of adding some binary info in the header of the firmware? can we do this with an hex editor?

-- blue

The thing is nobody reported a way to flash the router with the binary file from the webinterface, every single flash was done by CFE as far as I know, using serial cable to access the console. And still after a good flashing, t3l3m4k0 posted a network setting that must be changed in order to get the switch working (I don't know if it was patched in the trunk for making it unnecessary).

If you want to you can try without serial cable, but almost for sure you will need it later for unbricking. I "build" it up myself, bought a cheap DKU-5 cable for Nokia phones and checked where goes each cable and that's it. It is already a USB->Serial cable with level converter for connecting to serial consoles with 3,3 V TTL levels.

Greetings

(Last edited by sblanco on 25 Nov 2008, 13:41)

hi

i complite new kmz for bcm96348, i have netgear dg834GT and i would like to flash, but i dont know how, i try tftp but no work, i search solution on google but i dont find anythink, if somebody can write how to flash this router i be happy smile

br

@snipers,

like previous post says, usign serial cable

t3l3m4k0 wrote:

1.- try with boards ID number 4 and 2, and more mac (try 11 macs)
2.- try with flashimage ip_tftp_server:name_firmware
3.- try other cfe

good luck

Hi t3l3m4k0,
I inserted more parameters ..
all board number 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and more mac numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,12
but the result is the same(see post http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php? … 55#p76955).

Can you post me link where download a compatible CFE.bin for DG834GT ?

Thanks
MisteroX

I don't have any cfe for DG834GT , maybe lamaatge can send one copy to you.

If you would, i can send one from Asus (bcm96348gw-11 board) to try, it is working on my Comtrend 536.

t3l3m4k0 wrote:

I don't have any cfe for DG834GT , maybe lamaatge can send one copy to you.

If you would, i can send one from Asus (bcm96348gw-11 board) to try, it is working on my Comtrend 536.

Ok, please  send to me your copy from Asus (bcm96348gw-11 board) and I will try with it.

Thanks
MisteroX

Hi snipers,
I've successfully recovered the router thanks to your package and i would like to thank you for all your help.

Bye
MisteroX

Hi guys,
I'm a new comer. I've got a ADSL modem based on BCM6358. The model is RG100A-AA. It's from Shanghai Bell. With 16MB flash and 32MB ram. I've tryed to connect it by a TTL-USB cable. But it does not work. The cable is good. I use it to connect another modem LINKSYS WAG354G V2. So can you guys give some suggestions?
And best wish for thanksgiving.

Hi,
I've been working to build openwrt for a comtrend (96348W-11 board).
I have managed to compile a working copy with ethernet and wifi support following the comments in this post, to get the wireless driver I extracted the firmware as described in http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive … cefirmware. I have copied the resulting folder (b43) in ..../build_dir/linux-brcm63xx/linux-2.6.27.7/firmware/
The I compile as follows:

make kernel_menuconfig
    Device Drivers --> Network Device Support --> Wireless LAN --> Broadcom 43xx
make menuconfig
make V=99

The firmware builds correctly and wireless driver works, but I am still having a problem. I want to use this router as a wireless bridge, to do so i configure br-lan as follows:

root@OpenWrt:/# brctl addif br-lan wlan0
device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
root@OpenWrt:/# iwconfig wlan0 mode managed key a1a2a3b1b2b3c1c2c3d1d2d3e1 essid
strategies
root@OpenWrt:/# brctl addif br-lan wlan0
device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
root@OpenWrt:/# ping 192.168.1.253
root@OpenWrt:/# ifconfig wlan0 up
firmware: requesting b43/ucode5.fw
firmware: requesting b43/pcm5.fw
firmware: requesting b43/b0g0initvals5.fw
firmware: requesting b43/b0g0bsinitvals5.fw
b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 410.2160 (2007-05-26 15:32:10)
root@OpenWrt:/# br-lan: topology change detected, propagating
br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entering forwarding state
root@OpenWrt:/# ping 192.168.1.253
PING 192.168.1.253 (192.168.1.253): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.253: seq=0 ttl=64 time=12.981 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.253: seq=1 ttl=64 time=6.167 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.253: seq=2 ttl=64 time=5.606 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.253: seq=3 ttl=64 time=5.239 ms
^C
--- 192.168.1.253 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 5.239/7.498/12.981 ms

I changed the uci code as explained in a previous post to get lan working. However bridge doesn't work, packets are not being forwarded from lan to wireless network, has anybody tried to get this working?

Thanks

Hi all,
I started testing openwrt on my debricked DG834GT and I am able to boot the router but it seems that there is no chance to write on the flash: I can't change root passwd or start webif.

Log:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddkms8f9_8dgvpzcfp

I've added this rows to :  target/linux/brcm63xx/image/Makefile

define Image/Build
        $(STAGING_DIR_HOST)/bin/trx -o $(BIN_DIR)/openwrt-$(BOARD)-$(1).trx -f $(KDIR)/loader.gz -f $(KDIR)/vmlinux.lzma $(call trxalign/$(1)) -f $(KDIR)/root.$(1)
        $(call Image/Build/CFE,$(1),96345GW2,6345)
        $(call Image/Build/CFE,$(1),96348GW,6348)
        # Neufbox4
        $(call Image/Build/CFE,$(1),96358VW,6358)
        # Comtrend 536
        $(call Image/Build/CFE,$(1),96348GW-11,6348)
        # DG834GT
        $(call Image/Build/CFE,$(1),96348GW-10,6348)
endef

I've added this rows to : /build_dir/linux-brcm63xx/linux-2.6.27.7/arch/mips/bcm63xx/boards/board_bcm963xx.c

static struct board_info __initdata board_96348gw_10 = {
        .name                           = "96348GW-10",
        .expected_cpu_id                = 0x6348,

.has_enet0                      = 1,
        .has_enet1                      = 1,
        .has_pci                        = 1,

.enet0 = {
                .has_phy                = 1,
                .use_internal_phy       = 1,
        },

.enet1 = {
                .force_speed_100        = 1,
                .force_duplex_full      = 1,
        },

.has_ohci0 = 1,
        .has_pccard = 1,
        .has_ehci0 = 1,
};

/*
* all boards
*/
static const struct board_info __initdata *bcm963xx_boards[] = {
#ifdef CONFIG_BCM63XX_CPU_6348
        &board_96348r,
        &board_96348gw,
        &board_96348gw_10,
        &board_96348gw_11,
#endif

Thanks.
MisteroX

(Last edited by misteroX on 29 Nov 2008, 17:55)

Hi all,

There are some problems to boot the router example:

br-lan: port 1(eth1) entering forwarding state
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_disable_device
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_unregister_driver
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_map_mem_page
b43: Unknown symbol pccard_get_first_tuple
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_request_window
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_request_configuration
b43: Unknown symbol ssb_bus_pcmciabus_register
b43: Unknown symbol pccard_get_tuple_data
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_register_driver
b43: Unknown symbol pccard_parse_tuple
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_request_irq
PPP generic driver version 2.4.2

jffs2_build_filesystem(): unlocking the mtd device... done.
jffs2_build_filesystem(): erasing all blocks after the end marker... <4>Erase at 0x001b0000 failed immediately: -EROFS. Is the sector locked?
Erase at 0x001a0000 failed immediately: -EROFS. Is the sector locked?
Erase at 0x00000000 failed immediately: -EROFS. Is the sector locked?
done.
mini_fo: using base directory: /
mini_fo: using storage directory: /jffs
mini_fo: build_sto_structure: failed to create storage dir [1].
mini_fo: get_neg_sto_dentry: ERROR building sto structure.

The password you fail to change even in serial console.
Not able to write in filesystem.

I have updated the trunk to version 13427 but the result is always the same.
dmesg and various information about the /proc/... : http://docs.google.com/View?docid=ddkms8f9_9hpg62pcx

Bye
MisteroX

(Last edited by misteroX on 30 Nov 2008, 11:39)

sblanco wrote:
bluegeek wrote:
sblanco wrote:

-- blue

The thing is nobody reported a way to flash the router with the binary file from the webinterface, every single flash was done by CFE as far as I know, using serial cable to access the console. And still after a good flashing, t3l3m4k0 posted a network setting that must be changed in order to get the switch working (I don't know if it was patched in the trunk for making it unnecessary).

If you want to you can try without serial cable, but almost for sure you will need it later for unbricking. I "build" it up myself, bought a cheap DKU-5 cable for Nokia phones and checked where goes each cable and that's it. It is already a USB->Serial cable with level converter for connecting to serial consoles with 3,3 V TTL levels.

Greetings

Well in the end I succeded in building such an image, because my CFE version only supports tftp or web interface.

The requirements:

1.  The kernel image needs to be compressed with broadcom lzma
2.  In the image rootfs has to be first then kernel image
3.  All the CRC's in the image tag have to be correct.
4.  The kernel image has to start at 0x100 fold address
5.  The rootfs has to end at a 0x10000 (erase block size) fold address
6.  You need to create your own rootfs_data in bcm963xx-flash.c
Specific for davolink CFE
7.  The markers for jffs  0xdeadc0de are not allowed to be part of the image otherwise a modification of the flash
    is seen and the backup is installed

@ misteroX,

0x00010100-0x000cb6f8 : "kernel"
mtd: partition "kernel" doesn't start on an erase block boundary -- force read-only
0x000d0000-0x003effff : "rootfs"
mtd: partition "rootfs" doesn't end on an erase block -- force read-only
mtd: partition "rootfs" set to be root filesystem
mtd: partition "rootfs_data" created automatically, ofs=220000, len=1CFFFF
0x00220000-0x003effff : "rootfs_data"
mtd: partition "rootfs_data" doesn't end on an erase block -- force read-only
0x003effff-0x003fffff : "nvram"
mtd: partition "nvram" doesn't start on an erase block boundary -- force read-only

Thereis something broken on last updates, i have same problem.
when mtd driver atempts to create partitons, all are read-only and rootfs_data must be writable.

@ lamaatje,
Great news!!!, nice to see you again.
Can you post your bcm963xx-flash.c?
What tools do you use to create images?, i have tried with broadcom tools but they put rootfs before kernel.

Hi,

b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_disable_device
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_unregister_driver
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_map_mem_page
b43: Unknown symbol pccard_get_first_tuple
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_request_window
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_request_configuration
b43: Unknown symbol ssb_bus_pcmciabus_register
b43: Unknown symbol pccard_get_tuple_data
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_register_driver
b43: Unknown symbol pccard_parse_tuple
b43: Unknown symbol pcmcia_request_irq

This error is caused because you are building the firmware without loading the firmware for the b43xx driver (broadcom wireless), you can fix it creating a folder named ..build_dir/linux-brcm63xx/linux-2.6.27.7/firmware/b43 which should contain the firmware extracted from the broadcom proprietary driver. Yo can find how to do this in http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive … cefirmware.

I think the problem with the filesystem is different. I understand from previous posts you have recovered your router flashing a CFE from an asus model. I think it's quite possible that the actual hardware in both routers isn't the same. For example I am using a comtrend 536+, and this one uses a 29lv320 flash. If I load the CFE form a different router it might have a different flash chip (which I think is described in CFE), and so the hardware addresses for the filesystem would be different.

(Last edited by neubauten on 30 Nov 2008, 19:59)

t3l3m4k0 wrote:

Thereis something broken on last updates, i have same problem.
when mtd driver atempts to create partitons, all are read-only and rootfs_data must be writable.

Hi t3l3m4k0,
can you tell me what trunk revision boots correctly and is able to write on the flash?

Thanks
Misterox

hi, misteroX
for me, builds up to 13370 are working fine.
lastest build, i think,  do not take good values to create mtd partitions (only read-only).

salut

@ neubauten,
maybe you has reason, but because early builds are working fine?

Thx.

(Last edited by t3l3m4k0 on 1 Dec 2008, 19:03)

i think this change:
@13379         [13379]       4 days      florian       [brcm63xx] bcm63xx MTD driver cleanup and fixes: - convert to …
don't like my router, specialy i think with "roundup" function.

Many thanks,
I will download trunk 13370 and I will check on if it will work.

Bye
Misterox

Hi t3l3m4k0,
the revision 13370 boot without problems on my DG834GT.
I can change the password, and maintain the changes to reboot.

Bye
MisteroX

(Last edited by misteroX on 2 Dec 2008, 12:30)

Hi t3l3m4k0,
are you able to use adsl feature of your router with this firmware (13370)?
And if so how have you done it? 

Bye
MisteroX