OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Thoughts on using MicroSD vs. SD/MMC cards?

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

While the mod for adding an SD/MMC card is fairly well supported and used, has anyone thought about using a MicroSD card interface instead?

The primary reason that I'm looking at microSD is the considerable space savings that the card socket takes up in the router.  Since MicroSD sockets and MicroSD cards cost almost the same as standard SD/MMC sockets and cards (at least here in the US), and electronically they would connect/interface the same.

Given the desire by many of us to keep these routers as small as possible, I'm wondering what the general conses on this is.

I welcome all thoughts / feedback and ideas...

Thanks,
33W

(Last edited by 33Warlord on 3 Oct 2008, 20:22)

http://uanr.com/sdfloppy/ - thought 1
thought 2: microsd is not required to have spi. I got one anyway a while ago since it was $4 and included the converter, so we'll see smile

Good point on loosing the ability to use a floppy drive cable as a reader for SD cards.  This might so somewhat offset by the fact that most MicroSD cards include a converters to SD card size, and that converter can be used as the "socket'. 

So essentially you get a free socket with every MicroSD card you buy!  (and its a much nicer sock than the floppy drive connector (IMHO).

But soldering wires to microSD to SD card apter is more difficult than use floppy cable. And for me the size is in second plan because in router is lot of free space...

The discussion might have continued from here.