OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys WRT610N

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 1 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

vinicius.vbf wrote:

What about this driver for BCM4322-based harware? Can't we use them (at least for research)?

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Regards,

Vinicius

This is x86 specific and I guess it won't work on arm...

sentenza wrote:
vinicius.vbf wrote:

What about this driver for BCM4322-based harware? Can't we use them (at least for research)?

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Regards,

Vinicius

This is x86 specific and I guess it won't work on arm...

OK, but the hard work is all there, right? I mean, we don't need to reverse-engineer the binary driver looking for messages and protocols and things like "hey, how do I enable the draft N protocol in this chip?". It's all there, but for x86 only. All we need to do is to convert this driver to work on ARM. I don't have any experience with ARM architecture, so I couldn't tell how much work has to be done.

I'm working on another project of myself... but I would really like to dig into this driver and learn about the ARM arch.

vinicius.vbf wrote:

OK, but the hard work is all there, right? I mean, we don't need to reverse-engineer the binary driver looking for messages and protocols and things like "hey, how do I enable the draft N protocol in this chip?". It's all there, but for x86 only. All we need to do is to convert this driver to work on ARM. I don't have any experience with ARM architecture, so I couldn't tell how much work has to be done.

I'm working on another project of myself... but I would really like to dig into this driver and learn about the ARM arch.

From the readme file:

Otherwise the hybrid binary is agnostic to the specific version of Linux kernel
because it is designed to perform all interactions with the OS through OS specific
files (wl_linux.c, wl_iw.c) and an OS abstraction layer file (osl_linux.c).
All of these interactions are done through functions which make the hybrid binary
OS version independent.  All Linux OS specific code is provided in source form
allowing re-targeting to different kernel versions and fixing OS related issues.

Yes we have the sources for integration with the kernel... but the binary part, read: the real driver, is compiled for x86 and not mips/arm... As long as our beloved box makers don't provide a binary version compiled for mips and 2.6, we will have to stick to the 2.4 series :-(

Or wait for the b43 team, and that will certainly take months or years...

By the way, I've not tried to hack my box for quite a long time but as the dd-wrt team has published a working bcm57xx driver for 2.4, I will start again to get it working with 2.6 series.

I guess that we also could get a 2.4 working with the bcm57xx driver and the proprietary wifi drivers from linksys/cisco.

Cheers

sentenza wrote:

Yes we have the sources for integration with the kernel... but the binary part, read: the real driver, is compiled for x86 and not mips/arm... As long as our beloved box makers don't provide a binary version compiled for mips and 2.6, we will have to stick to the 2.4 series :-(

Or wait for the b43 team, and that will certainly take months or years...

By the way, I've not tried to hack my box for quite a long time but as the dd-wrt team has published a working bcm57xx driver for 2.4, I will start again to get it working with 2.6 series.

I guess that we also could get a 2.4 working with the bcm57xx driver and the proprietary wifi drivers from linksys/cisco.

Cheers

I see... well, thank you for the answers. We really need someone inside Linksys to provide us some info (and maybe some code).

Please let us posted if you really get back to work on your box. I'll try to get some time to work on mine too.

Thanks.

(Last edited by vinicius.vbf on 11 Jun 2009, 16:20)

Hi all,
I am looking at basic networking and maybe USB functionality on my WRT610N.

Could you please let me know anybody got it functional with Kamikaze_8.09 (2.6 kernel)

PS: This thread did refresh me of the Jumbo-frame and terminal/console concept but not a definitive information about the level of support for this hardware.

Thanks in advance,
Karthik

karthik.venkateswaran wrote:

Hi all,
I am looking at basic networking and maybe USB functionality on my WRT610N.

Could you please let me know anybody got it functional with Kamikaze_8.09 (2.6 kernel)

PS: This thread did refresh me of the Jumbo-frame and terminal/console concept but not a definitive information about the level of support for this hardware.

Thanks in advance,
Karthik

Hi,

I can confirm that USB is working, serial also. I can't say anything about jumbo frames as I didn't get the basic Ethernet working until now.

Hope to find some time end of this week to work on this f....g box.

sentenza wrote:

Hi,

I can confirm that USB is working, serial also. I can't say anything about jumbo frames as I didn't get the basic Ethernet working until now.

Hope to find some time end of this week to work on this f....g box.

What?!? You have a firmware running kernel 2.6 with basic Ethernet working?

Read again:

sentenza wrote:

I didn't get the basic Ethernet working until now.

Until now, what I've got with 2.6 was basic discovery of the chip and some modifications I did to get it reading the MAC correctly from the chip registers... I've been able to receive packets on the box (seen with tcpdump), but not to send any packet.

What I would like to do now is try to get a 2.4 kernel working with the bcm57xx driver published in dd-wrt forums, and if possible also include the binary wireless driver distributed with the firmware. Then I'll try to analyze the what are the missing part in the 2.6 tigon3 drivers to get this chip working, but this may reveal quite hard as I'm not an experienced drivers writer and the two drivers are really different.

Any news on the Cisco special debug adapter? I just bricked by WRT350N and I do not feel confident to be monkeying around the board.

Hi guys,
It's my 1st message to this forum.
I've bought recently wrt610n.
After short research I found that there are no stable dd-wrt for my device so far.
Also it seems that OpenWRT doesn't support wrt610n as well.
If I understood correctly the main reason is lack of Broadcom NIC drivers sources.
But I come across sources here: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/ticket/769
There is a pointer to http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_dow … -3.92e.zip
Hmm, it seems that this is a more right place for sources dowbloading: http://www.broadcom.com/support/etherne … rivers.php
Also I found the site http://www.broadcom.com/support/etherne … source.php
has possible useful a documentation.

So is this information enough to have OpenWRT for our router?
Do we have a hope? :-)

(Last edited by siv on 27 Jun 2009, 19:39)

siv wrote:

Hi guys,
It's my 1st message to this forum.
I've bought recently wrt610n.
After short research I found that there are no stable dd-wrt for my device so far.
Also it seems that OpenWRT doesn't support wrt610n as well.
If I understood correctly the main reason is lack of Broadcom NIC drivers sources.
But I come across sources here: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/ticket/769
There is a pointer to http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_dow … -3.92e.zip
Hmm, it seems that this is a more right place for sources dowbloading: http://www.broadcom.com/support/etherne … rivers.php
Also I found the site http://www.broadcom.com/support/etherne … source.php
has possible useful a documentation.

So is this information enough to have OpenWRT for our router?
Do we have a hope? :-)

Hi all,

@Siv: more or less all these info have already been posted in this topic... Nothing of real help as these drivers are oriented to NICs present mainly on servers mainboards. They don't handle the specificities of small routers running MIPS/ARM.

@everybody: I tried to merge the dd-wrt bcm57 differences, but no success until now sad it compiles, it load, it detects the chip... but still no packet is received by the IP stack. I've also troubles enabling debug in the driver: tried to set BCMDBG and TIGON3_DEBUG but I don't get anything more than without it. If someone has a hint here, it would be much helpful.

Also I can't find tcpdump anymore in the packages, and this may also help a lot in debugging what is really received by the router. Again if someone as a hint here, I'll appreciate.

I'll try to be on IRC ~20-22@GMT if someone want to help...

Bye.

lwismanuel wrote:

Any news on the Cisco special debug adapter? I just bricked by WRT350N and I do not feel confident to be monkeying around the board.

Special debug adapter?  If you mean the 4 contacts marked TX, RX, GND, 3.3V in the WAN port then that is just another point to access serial console.  It's convenient if you happen to have a special RJ-45 form factor with the 4 pins on the opposite side.  Nobody seems to know where to buy such a plug, and you can just as easily solder to the pads on the PCB noted elsewhere in this thread.  I suppose I could fabricate something with springy contacts given a few hours but it seems a waste of time to pursue.

Oh guys...

tom@darkstar ~/dev/openwrt/8.09 $ ping 192.168.230.42
PING 192.168.230.42 (192.168.230.42) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.230.42: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.58 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.230.42: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.07 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.230.42: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.04 ms
tom@darkstar ~/dev/openwrt/8.09 $ ssh 192.168.230.42 -l root
root@192.168.230.42's password:                             
Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.  
sh: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: not found                                         

BusyBox v1.11.2 (2009-06-14 11:38:54 CEST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.                  

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M     
 KAMIKAZE (8.09.1, r16429) ----------------------------
  * 10 oz Vodka       Shake well with ice and strain   
  * 10 oz Triple sec  mixture into 10 shot glasses.    
  * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!                          
 ---------------------------------------------------   
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : Broadcom BCM4785 chip rev 2
processor               : 0                          
cpu model               : BCM3302 V1.10              
BogoMIPS                : 299.82                     
wait instruction        : no                         
microsecond timers      : yes                        
tlb_entries             : 32                         
extra interrupt vector  : no                         
hardware watchpoint     : no                         
VCED exceptions         : not available              
VCEI exceptions         : not available              
root@OpenWrt:~#

smile

More to come... Trying to get vlans working now...

Amazing big_smile

Is that branch 2.4 or 2.6?
Did you get help on IRC and this is the result?

(Last edited by jake1981 on 30 Jun 2009, 14:18)

This is 2.4... I would prefer to get it working on 2.6, but as the b43team is more or less silent on this, I prefer to stick to 2.4 so that we have a hope to get wifi.

Latest news are: still a lot of work for proper vlan handling... I'd like to merge the dd-wrt version directly, as they seem to have quite a lot of recent fixes following some broadcom information releases. But I don't know how it will be perceived by openwrt devs, as they have made some cleanup and removed dependency for some broadcom specific functions. I'm not sure I've enough knowledge to merge both cleanly.

One of my goals remains to be able to merge in openwrt, otherwise I would have gone dd directly... They also seem to have quite a lot of patches on the mips level for handling of some wifi chip specificities. It will certainly be necessary.

Got some discussions on IRC, but no specific help on the driver itself...

Anyway this first ping reply has been a nice reward after quite some time spent on this box...

(Last edited by sentenza on 30 Jun 2009, 14:24)

sentenza: Do you have a repository of your 2.4 work?

I'd like to get Openwrt with 2.4 kernel (I like working wifi ktnx) running on my WRT320N, and it shares the BCM53115 switch chip with the 610n.
I suppose the BCM4322 and BCM4328 tranceivers could be supported by the same binary blob driver too?

I have a WRT610N and I am very much looking for third party firmware (I've already filled all the available port forward slots and need more!). If there is anything I can do to help let me know (And if you have a pretty stable binary I'd love to try it out!).

Thanks!

There's also a new download in the GPL code center - for a V2.00.00.05, that hasn't had a binary release yet.
The kernel still looks like a 2.4.

Is this new?

sentenza: how is your work proceeding..?

I'm subscribed to the OpenWrt-Devel list and I read yesterday that Tomas Kopal has started to add support to the WRT610N. His latest patches (applied in r17433 and r17434) adds the wired communication, platform detection, led control and buttons.

I also just noticed those changesets. But are you sure it add support for wired communication? I understood it only adds support for identifying switch (this doesn't necessary mean it is usable in anyway)..

Heads up: There's a WRT610Nv2 coming. It has a single CPU instead of split wireless/switch. Different power brick. The external is the same.

jake1981 wrote:

I also just noticed those changesets. But are you sure it add support for wired communication? I understood it only adds support for identifying switch (this doesn't necessary mean it is usable in anyway)..

Hi Jake! You're right. The post says:

"[OpenWrt-Devel] [PATCH] Added support for identifying the BCM53115    switch
openwrt-devel-bounces@lists.openwrt.org; on behalf of; Tomas Kopal [Tomas.Kopal@altap.cz]

This one adds support for the switch in WRT610N. With this in, the wired networking seems to work fine.

Tomas"

The original post is here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/openwrt-dev … 03763.html

Regards

(Last edited by vinicius.vbf on 29 Aug 2009, 16:18)

thanks vinicius.vbf - I just checked changeset in trac - it wasn't so thorough.. Anyway - this is just great - I bought this device with high hopes about it and openwrt and finally it seems that we are getting somewhere as I don't have skills and/or tools for soldering serials and so on - I cannot nearly do anything about anything. So maybe I soon might open package again as I have checked it out only once or twice merely to just see that there's everything in the box that  there should to be..