OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kasda KW5502 Router/switch/access point

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Has anyone seen this model advertised as an "OpenWRT router" on the internet? Kasda's description does not mention OpenWRT: http://www.kasda.com.cn/en/pro/vew.asp?id=359

Guideband, however, definitely sells it as an OpenWRT router (your choice of Kamikaze or White Russian):

http://www.guideband.com/product_info.p … cts_id=112

It's not in the list of supported hardware.

Unfortunaely, I seem  to have bricked it using Kasda's supplied web interface (see www.kasda.com.cn/asp_bin/pro_img/200872513309982.pdf )

It's actually just "soft-bricked" - it responds to pings, but won't let me telnet, ssh, or http into it. When I plug it into the network, it pulls a DHCP address and allows me to use it as an Access Point (which is weird to me) - even the switch is working - I just can't get into it to reconfigure it.

Any ideas?

-Bill

Y'know, there's nothing like some public humiliation to educate a person.

The big problem is that the web interface allows one to configure the box as either an "Access Point" or a "Router" Everything works as expected when configured as a "Router" but it all goes weird when it's configured as an "Access Point." What I found is that, when configured as an "Access Point" it can only be reached at its assigned DHCP address via HTTP.

Sorry for burning the bandwidth on this one; it seems under control now.

Is this a typical newbie mistake? Didn't see it in the "common mistakes" section.

-Bill

Did you manage to get OpenWRT onto the unit ??
-Phil Wilshire

Phil-

Well, yeah... that was part of the charm of  the little darlin' - it comes with OpenWRT on it from the "factory." I haven't had the time or the courage to really mess with it (e.g. re-flashing it or adding to the existing installation).

As it turns out, it's actually more weird than I thought. The final analysis was very simple: it changed its IP address when I put it on the network as a bridge (i.e. it got a DHCP address from the central router) and then it didn't "lose" that address and go back to 192.168.1.1 when it was disconnected. I tried to telnet to 192.168.1.1 and it didn't respond, of course, When I plugged it back into the network, however, it lit up, so I looked it up in the MAC list and got its local IP address. When I telnetted to its address, it was right there.

I feel like it's kind of a stupid newbie mistake, but it's counter-intuitive that it would "remember" its old DHCP address instead of switching back to its default 192.168.1.1.

Ah, well. I ought to just get a WRT, but they're asking $70 for the WRT54GL at Fry's, and I'm cheap.

I'd love to see some more OpenWRT folks (some folks who know how to work more effectively with OpenWRT) get some of these little boxes and put them through their paces. This box should be on the supported list; it may be sold under a different name, but I don't know what it might be.

Thanks,

Bill

(Last edited by bmoffitt on 9 Sep 2008, 05:02)

The discussion might have continued from here.