OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT + Linksys WRT54GR

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Apr 2018 and 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, did you managed to get your wireless working? I'm having trouble with mine, wlan0 is operating in "managed" mode, it should be "master", tried changing it with wlanconfig:

root@OpenWrt:~# iwconfig wlan0 mode master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

iwconfig wlan0:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"woohoo" 
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.432 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Tx-Power=13 dBm   
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B   
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

I'd like to thank those in this thread for the valuable information that allowed me to recover my bricked
wrt54gr.

I had installed OpenWRT on it and it worked for a few weeks but then stopped talking to the outside world after updating some network settings from the web interface. No HTTP access. No ping access. No TFTP access. The reset button did nothing.

I could telnet to it only by connecting it to another router and using that DHCP supplied address (in this case 192.168.1.3). It was frustrating knowing it was alive, but unusable. I found a recovery program in /etc, but it reported that it wasn't supported on this platform. There was no nvram support since this version of OpenWRT was running linux 2.6.24.7. Further investigation determined that mtdBlock1 was broken and mtdblock0 was also inaccessible. MTD erase nvram didn't work. firstboot didn't work. I could find no easy way to recover this box.

In the end, I ordered the SCHMartBoard RS232-TTL converter ($15). I removed the header pins from an old SB16 sound card (circa 1996) and used them to solder a serial header and Jtag header to the router PCB. I then crafted from some old cd-rom sound cables a wire harness to go between the serial port and converter.  It all worked on the first try!

Once I had access to the serial console, it was just a matter of hitting CTRL-C at power up to get to CFE (REDBOOT>) command mode, start up the TFTP daemon (REDBOOT> tftpd), and then use tftp from windows to upload the original factory firmware.

I couldn't have done any of this without the information in this and other threads.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge so that others can benefit!

Doug.

(Last edited by doug80638 on 10 Dec 2009, 01:47)

TomasD wrote:

Hi, did you managed to get your wireless working? I'm having trouble with mine, wlan0 is operating in "managed" mode, it should be "master", tried changing it with wlanconfig:

root@OpenWrt:~# iwconfig wlan0 mode master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

iwconfig wlan0:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"woohoo" 
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.432 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Tx-Power=13 dBm   
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B   
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Hello TomasD,

You managed to fix your issue ? I'm stuck and getting the same errors :S, I flashed the WRT54GR with openwrt-rdc-jffs2-64k-ar525w.img using tftp, I enabled the wifi but with no avail, thus I couldn't flash back the stock firmware, tried several time using tftp and from inside the X-wrt : (  I'm able ssh the router and I still can connect to it from the web.. Should I now use the TTL converter or there's another trick that I've missed in the forum to flash it back?

(Last edited by ramx2 on 30 Mar 2010, 12:18)

Could some of you write noob frendly tutorial about installing openwrt on wrt54gr? Is it working good with openwrt?

Thanks in advance smile

I succeeded to install back the original stock firmware.

I used putty to connect to ssh then I uploaded the stock firmware to a website without converting the file to .trx I kept it as bin file, then I used this command:

wget http://www.yourwebsite.com/LINKSYS.bin -O - | mtd -e linux -r write - linux

You should see this result:

Connecting to yourwebsite.com(209.1.4.1:21)
-                      2% |**                                                                                                          | 65536   - stalled -W-                    100% |************************************************************************************************************|  2263k 00:00:00
Rebooting ...

Done big_smile

WRT54GR Stock firmwares list

(Last edited by ramx2 on 27 Aug 2015, 15:26)

I own WRT54GR too.

I tried different openwrt and xwrt builds including the latest 10.03.1-rc1 but with no luck. Error was always the same. The router was completely inaccessible from ethernet interface both at my custom ip and at 192.168.1.1 So I couldn't reflash without serial interface. Once I soldered TTL to RS232 converter using this scheme: http://picprojects.org.uk/projects/simpleSIO/ssio.htm (page seems to be dead write if you need the scheme) and mounted using instructions on this site I saw in the log that the boot process stoped at

mem_size: 1000000

The only build I managed to get running was kamikaze x-wrt jffs2-64k (can't remember exact version) but it didn't support wireless interface correctly.

Finally I flashed with the manufacturers default firmware and got the routed working again.

I would really like to get OpenWRT working. Does anybody have an idea what causes boot to stop at "mem_size: 1000000"?

ramx2 wrote:

Guys flash on WRT54GR http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8 … ar525w.img
The wifi interface works properly ; )

Regards,

Hello i have a WRT54GR.
I would want use it in repeater mode.
Can you confirm that it works correctly?
Thanks

basix86 wrote:
ramx2 wrote:

Guys flash on WRT54GR http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8 … ar525w.img
The wifi interface works properly ; )

Regards,

Hello i have a WRT54GR.
I would want use it in repeater mode.
Can you confirm that it works correctly?
Thanks

Hey,

I can't see the repeater mode in this firmware..

Regards,

There is no "repeater mode". A repeater is simply one sta network and one ap network joined in a bridge.

Hi, I'm new at this forum and to openwrt.

Just got a WRT54GR and i want to put it to repeater to extend my network.
After reading this thread it's still unclear to me if this is possible.
Could someone clear it up for me?

I've started reading tutorials on how to install the .img file, but should i even bother?

dhalan wrote:

Hi, I'm new at this forum and to openwrt.

Just got a WRT54GR and i want to put it to repeater to extend my network.
After reading this thread it's still unclear to me if this is possible.
Could someone clear it up for me?

I've started reading tutorials on how to install the .img file, but should i even bother?

I would like to know if it is possible to extend my wlan range using the OpenWrt firmware on the router WRT54GR?

16 MB RAM says no.

The discussion might have continued from here.