OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [request] Wrtu54g-tm - [56k No No]

The content of this topic has been archived between 2 May 2018 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Not sure if I'm even posting in the correct forum for this. A few things first...

1. I am a complete n00b and probably shouldn't even be attempting this.
2. I have read quite a few (open-wrt, tomato, dd-wrt(apparently evil)) FAQ's and Wiki's but haven't found a tutorial that makes any sense to me... Maybe it is because I have zer0 experience with *nix. I want to know if possible how to properly backup the OEM firmware and attempt a flash of open-wrt+x-wrt to this device. It doesn't seem there is much, if any, info out there on this particular device.
3. If someone could post a link (I'm not asking you to write one for me I just haven't had much luck finding one) to a tutorial geared towards someone with little/no experience. Also maybe a clue as to what "basics" of *nix I should be reading up on...

I would greatly appreciate any assistance given, and am sorry if this is the completely wrong forum for this question...

here is the info I have for you on my device... if the pictures I took aren't good enough or don't show the specifics you need to know to better help me in my quest (or yours) please let me know! thanks in advance for any help/direction you may be able to give!

FCCID: Q87-WRTU54G

FRONT - TOP HALF:
http://www.pursuit4perfection.biz/WRTU54G-TM_TOPH.JPG

FRONT - BOTTOM HALF:
http://www.pursuit4perfection.biz/WRTU54G-TM_BOTH.JPG

BACK OF BOARD:
http://www.pursuit4perfection.biz/WRTU54G-TM_BACK.JPG

(Last edited by benjamminzIS on 7 Aug 2008, 03:06)

Should I peek at what's under than "sticky" stuff in the bottom pick? I'm kind of curious... but don't know if I will mess something up by removing/replacing it...

Here's the CPU info: http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/ … 68d7000059

* CPU: 200MHZ MIPS4KC with 8KB I-cache, 8KB D-Cache with MMU support, 6 DMA engines and Hardware NAT support
    * WLAN (1 802.11a/b/g WMAC + BBP)
    * USB 2.0 Host + PHY interface
    * PCI bridge that can support 3 PCI devices
    * IDE, PCM UART and SPI interfaces
    * IEEE 802.11a/b/g,IEEE 803.11e(WMM), 802.11i(WPA2), 802.11h, IEEE 802.11d and 802.11d Standards compliant
    * AHB devices: MIPS4KC, MC, port1, port2,
    * WLAN, USB2.0 host, PCI, IDE.
    * Debugging interface: JTAG for MIPS-multiICE,trace32
    * Package: 352BGA and 289BGA (excludes PCI and IDE interface)

I don't see any reason OpenWrt couldn't support it, but it probably won't.

exobyte wrote:

I don't see any reason OpenWrt couldn't support it, but it probably won't.

could anyone help explain this a little more for me? does that mean drivers need to be written specifically for it or what? are there no infineon chips officially supported? why "won't" it be supported? I would think this would become a pretty popular router in the near future as the service that people receive along with it is quite valuable and money "saving."

Could any more experienced users help point me in the correct direction? Do I need to be extracting and looking at the code in the OEM firmware.bin???

I have explored this model over serial. I am currently running John the Ripper to determine the password it requires for that, but I also hacked the firmware not to need that password. I made copies of the portions of the existing flash contents accessible to the stock kernels (both of them), but I will need to JTAG it to grab the rest, which for all I know, may simply be a bunch of zeroes. Perhaps the adm5120 port of OpenWRT may support this model eventually. My findings:
http://openwrt.org/logs/openwrt-devel.log.20081006

@dgi

I just received this device. How did you hack the firmware not to need a password? I can mount the firmware on a squashfs box and do what ever is needed and recompile it.

Also, what program did you use to JTAG it?

Nice finding guys. I have this device too, just so you know, so that it's not left in the cold like an exotic hardware.
Anyone figured out what is the native OS for this device?

The OS is linux using squashfs and I believe version 2.3 (maybe 2.2). I am still working on mounting the firmware to see what it looks like.

Thanks for your work meister_sd, hopefully openwrt will become a reality for this router.

So it runs Linux.  Shouldn't Cisco/Linksys have released the source for the firmware, just like its WRT54G?  *Looks at [mdm]*

lynden wrote:

So it runs Linux.  Shouldn't Cisco/Linksys have released the source for the firmware, just like its WRT54G?  *Looks at [mdm]*

Linksys has released the GPL. It is version 1.00.04, even thought the site doesn't say that.

Any news on this?  The WRTU54G-TM is on sale today at http://1saleaday.com/ for $19.99

That's amazing for the specs it has.

If you download the 1.0.15 firmware from Linksys, the first blob is the Linux kernel and after a large expanse of nulls the squashfs filesystem starts.

lynden: that should be "[mbm]" and the October 2008 IRC chat log linked earlier in this thread has his initial thoughts on this device. wink

(Last edited by KeithB on 3 Jan 2009, 00:45)

Hi,
Picked up some of these on ebay and I/m interested too. 

Thanks lynden, dgi and meister_sd!

Is there any specific SquashFS version or option necessary to successfully loopback mount the firmware image?  Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex includes SquashFS 3.3-7, but I see that 3.4 is available now...

We don't support the Infineon Wildpass platform at all as we don't have any hardware using it. Patches/donations are welcomed smile

^^^ Kaloz,
Does mean that there will not be a port to this device or that it wouldn't take advantage of the SIM cards?

Because even without the SIM card functionality the specs on this unit are pretty impressive.

ackray wrote:

^^^ Kaloz,
Does mean that there will not be a port to this device or that it wouldn't take advantage of the SIM cards?

Because even without the SIM card functionality the specs on this unit are pretty impressive.

It means if someone donates unit(s) to us, we can look into getting it supported. Another possibility is that someone who owns a device gets it working and submits patches.

KeithB wrote:

Is there any specific SquashFS version or option necessary to successfully loopback mount the firmware image?  Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex includes SquashFS 3.3-7, but I see that 3.4 is available now...

Answering my own (stupid) question:
It's SquashFS 2.2 with LZMA patches. 
Ubuntu's Squashfs 3.3-7 is borked and can't unsquash it.
Attempting to build SquashFS 3.4 with LZMA patches was not a worthwhile endeavor.
Anyone know if Debian has already packaged 3.4 w/LZMA?

EDIT: Looks like Slax 6.0.9 has LZMA-enabled 3.4 built-in

(Last edited by KeithB on 17 Jan 2009, 14:09)

The easy way to extract the SquashFS was using Jeremy Collake's Firmware Modification Kit.  Although it didn't grok the firmware .bin file, it included a 2.2 w/LZMA version of the unsquashfs executable, and this unpacked it perfectly. big_smile

KeithB wrote:

The easy way to extract the SquashFS was using Jeremy Collake's Firmware Modification Kit.  Although it didn't grok the firmware .bin file, it included a 2.2 w/LZMA version of the unsquashfs executable, and this unpacked it perfectly. big_smile

(1) What version of the firmware where you using, e.g. 1.0.15?
(2) Did you have to do anything besides running unsquashfs-lzma WRTU54G-TM_v1.00.15,0.bin?

I'm trying to extract the file system as well using Collake's software and have run into some difficulties...

Hello Kaloz,

I would be ready to send you one unit to see if you can adapt openwrt

You can contact me directly if OK.

I just got one of these routers and would love to be able to do Asterisk or USB-type stuff on it.  Some guys over at dslreports have made huge inroads already: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r215976 … ort-router-

Might this help an OpenWRT port?

Sorry, posts 26 to 25 are missing from our archive.