OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WRT54GS Ver 2 - Can't recover from the brick

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Well a few days ago my router, configured as a bridge (used to connect my DirecTv IRD to the internet), loaded with dd-wrt 24 mini, started acting flaky and then died.  After a few days I plugged it in again to troubleshoot and the power LED flashed non-stop.  So I did some surfing and here's what I have done to date in an attempt to correct the problem:

One thing to note: The port leds light (coresponding to the port I'm plugged into) when a cable is connected and do show activity when I ping the device.

1.  Reseting wiht the PB fails.
2.  No ping to the router, including when I set the connection to 10/half duplex.
3.  I made a JTAG and installed a header.  I have used wrt54g.exe to backup the whole flash, cfe.bin, and kernel.bin.
4.  I cleared the NVRAM several times, not fixed.
5.  I erased and flashed the linksys firmware as kernel.bin, not fixed.
6.  I erased and flashed with a cfe.bin (proper version for my router) I grabbed from some site, not fixed.
7.  I erased and flased cfe.bin created with Skynet Repair Kit v1.5, not fixed.
8.  I erased the kernel and NVRAM, not fixed.
9.  I am currently loading wrt-dd mini std 24 but don't have high hopes of it fixing the problem.

The power led always flashes when power is applied and I understand this to mean the bootloader failed.  I did try to do my homework but I can't seem to get any further.  Any advice beside tossing it in the garbage would be nice.

Thanks,
Joe

Have the same problem. What happens when you flash cfe and then reconnect the ethernet cable and then ping it. I get some really unusual pings. Like, it will go from 1ms to 500ms, then maybe 30ms back to 1ms then 203ms... TFTPing dd-wrt or linksys firmware doesn't do anything. It's like the flash chip is fryed and doesn't want to hold the firmware. Wired...

EDIT: btw it's a WRT54G v1.1

(Last edited by TomClancy on 23 Jul 2008, 02:43)

TomClancy wrote:

Have the same problem. What happens when you flash cfe and then reconnect the ethernet cable and then ping it. I get some really unusual pings. Like, it will go from 1ms to 500ms, then maybe 30ms back to 1ms then 203ms... TFTPing dd-wrt or linksys firmware doesn't do anything. It's like the flash chip is fryed and doesn't want to hold the firmware. Wired...

EDIT: btw it's a WRT54G v1.1

My WRT54G fails all ping attempts.  If you are getting some sort of ping then you may be able to create the JTAG and fix it.  With luck you may be able to flash via the TFTP but save yourself the hassle.  Go to radio shack, but some wire wrap pins of a header (individual pins are easier to install).  Get a package of 5 100 Ohm resistors and a printer port 25 pin plug (make sure it's the printer one), and a small amount of wire if you like.

Good luck, I've written my router off and will toss it in the garbage in a few months.  I'm just waiting fo another suggestion.  And the JTAG that i built does work, it will read, write.  I think I will write all 1's and read it back, do a compare.  Maybe the Flash has failed.   The darn thing just hates me.

Later,
Joe

Cool I'll try that.

I'll take the router if you are gonna throw it away. Could use it for parts.

I will probably just focus on CFE /Redboot.
I may try couple of different versions of Redboot but that's it and leave the rest of kernel and nvram stuff.

And I will write and read and do the binary comparison to ensure if it worked. I wouldn't waste time on writing all 1's. If the binary comparison passes you are good to go. Also make sure you are erasing the flash block before writing.

After that I will power cycle with a good 1 minute to make sure any oddity on reset register and memory is all cleared to default.

I don't know if Redboot uses nvram to access the Ram. There was something about specifying the ram's cols x width x banks on some of the chips.

Good luck!

I also had a brick with the linksys wrt54g v2 and the green powerled blinking. I could still flash apparantly the linksys firmware. But the problem remained.

The i changed the power supply for a new one with the same specifations - 12V 1 A - and the powerled burnt constantly, problem solved.

The discussion might have continued from here.