OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: New OpenWrt Kamikaze Release in August

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Jul 2017 and 26 Jul 2017. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Still in the womb waiting for embryonic fluid to leak. big_smile

huuuuu o.o
something goin on?

https://dev.openwrt.org/roadmap

Trac says 8.08 (not RC1!) will be due in 7 Days O.o'''

But you did not see this ?

Milestone: Kamikaze 808 RC-1
8 weeks late (07/31/08)

wink

th0m4s wrote:

But you did not see this ?

Milestone: Kamikaze 808 RC-1
8 weeks late (07/31/08)

wink

*sigh*
i think i was too enthusiastic as i saw that T______________________T
sorry ;_;

DeusExMachina wrote:

huuuuu o.o
something goin on?

https://dev.openwrt.org/roadmap

Trac says 8.08 (not RC1!) will be due in 7 Days O.o'''

For me it says:

"""
Milestone: Kamikaze 8.09 RC1
Due in 25 hours (09/25/08)
"""
and
"""
Milestone: Kamikaze 8.09
Due in 6 days (09/30/08)
"""

Nothing about 8.08...

or am I missing something?

8.08 was renamed to 8.09 because we didn't have enough time to finish the release candidate in august.
our release names are date based in case you haven't noticed wink

nbd wrote:

8.08 was renamed to 8.09 because we didn't have enough time to finish the release candidate in august.
our release names are date based in case you haven't noticed wink

Hi nbd! I'm just a newbie and I didn't realiye it so far. Thanks for the explantion. :-)

Hi guys, I'm sorry if this q is already asked, but milestones in Trac confused me a bit. Is there any possibility that routers containing broadcom made wlan card (e.g. Linksys wrt54gl) could use 2.6 kernel?

zaratustra wrote:

Hi guys, I'm sorry if this q is already asked, but milestones in Trac confused me a bit. Is there any possibility that routers containing broadcom made wlan card (e.g. Linksys wrt54gl) could use 2.6 kernel?

I hope so - here is what developers write for the new release:
Broadcom 47xx running reliably with the new Kernel, including b43 driver

Yes. b43 works reliably on most routers capable of running brcm47xx. WEP and WDS do not work yet, but no encryption, wpa and wpa2 are working.

And no multi-ssid...

Only on older routers, I thought routers with a newer bcm47xx revision could do multi-ssid?

I have "Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)" on my laptop with b43 driver and works fine in WEP/WPA/PSK2 modes
I didn't tested with multiple ESSID ........

1) I think that delaying the release just because there is still no WEP is wrong. Who needs WEP these days?!

2) As an WRT54GL v1.1 owner I'm very much interested in Kamikaze v8.x, is it too early?

Shouldn't we start a new thread that is called "New OpenWRT Kamikaze Release in October"

Folks don't be like that. You'd be greatful for the effort they put into this project. Also it is pointless to demand for a faster work, as you won't pay them for it. If you need the new release that bad, then you have the opportunity to hire a developer and have your own version of it, or to learn code on this level and do it yourself.

You can always use trunk or fix problem that are blocking these release wink
Devs are making the great job, and they don't want to release binary with bugs it's normal wink

I tried that but I don't have the facilities to compile. And the builds from svn don't even have ipkg installed.

napierzaza wrote:

I tried that but I don't have the facilities to compile. And the builds from svn don't even have ipkg installed.

Install VMWare or some other virtualization program and get used to Linux, compiling is actually quite easy.
OpenWrt is now using opkg instead of ipkg.

(Last edited by KillaB on 2 Oct 2008, 23:12)

weee, I'm quite excited about this release... especially because of 2.6 support:-) It is quite nice if one likes to play with cross-compiler and running own binaries on 200 MHz router

Hey, guys, don't be so ironic with release delay... Remember that those guys make your life easier and bring fun to it for free. And no one is required to hack the code, encourage the devs with few nice words or donate money. But complaining about delay doesn't help to solve tickets from Trac, it just makes one nervous and eventually leave the project.

Anyway, this may be good news from Broadcom [http://www.workswithu.com/2008/10/02/br … a-new-era/]

napierzaza wrote:

There is a new utility for package management called "opkg".

Hello,
is it possible to compile the trunk version of Kamikaze 8.xx ? I mean is it stable enough to try ?

cheers,
Tex

Tex-Twil wrote:

is it possible to compile the trunk version of Kamikaze 8.xx ? I mean is it stable enough to try ?

I have been using the firmware I compiled from the trunk almost a year now with no problem with an average of bi-weekly updates.

you may find kamikaze snapshots here & here.