OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DM111P bricked: need help with serial console set up and using minicom

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I bought a Netgear DM111P ethernet modem off ebay recently.  When it arrived, I plugged it in and straight away the power LED -which should be a solid green - went to solid red.  The user manual says this means either the self test is in progress or the self test has failed.  I waited long enough (30+ mins) to confirm the router is bricked.
I would like to reflash the Netgear firmware, however, since the router is bricked I can't use the DM111P's web interface (http://192.168.0.1).

According to this site the DM111P has a TTL serial connector and I've opened up my DM111P and confirmed it has one.  So I thought - rightly or wrongly - with the right hardware I could use a serial console to flash the Netgear firmware to the DM111P.

As the TTL port is 3.3v, I bought this 3.3v-TTL-to-RS232 Serial Converter.  My IBM Thinkpad T40 doesn't have a serial port so I bought this Prolific PL2303 USB-to-Serial adapter to use instead.

The problem now, is that I basically don't know what to do next.
When I plug the Prolific PL2303 into a spare USB port on my IBM Thinkpad T40 (Archlinux), dmesg reports:

:
:
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for pl2303
pl2303 2-2:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
usb 2-2: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbcore: registered new interface driver pl2303
drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver

and lsmod shows the pl2303 kernel module has loaded:

n00b ~  $  lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
pl2303                 19076  0 
usbserial              30696  1 pl2303

So, if I understand things correctly, the USB to Serial adapter has been recognised by the kernel and the driver loaded.  dmesg also reports:

n00b ~  $  dmesg | grep tty
console [tty0] enabled
00:0a: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a NS16550A
usb 2-2: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

which suggests I should configure minicom (# minicom -s) with /dev/ttyUSB0 rather than /dev/ttyS0.  However - and this is where I'm out of my depth with minicom - when I invoke minicom it comes up with a dialog saying "Initializing Modem".  I don't want to use my Thinkpad T40's modem.  I want to be able to see what the CFE bootloader of my DM111P is outputing once I switch it on, so that I can see what's causing the self test failure.

I don't really understand minicom and couldn't see the configuration options I needed to make.  Can anyone help me out please?  I've never done any serial port work before.

(Last edited by Shagbag on 27 Apr 2008, 08:47)

Try with "minicom -s" and then you can edit the serial port settings (e.g set the port to /dev/ttyUSB0, speed to 115200 8N1).
You can either save then as default or with a name.

If you save different profiles (I have "console" (9600) ,"wrap" (38400), "hspd" (115200)), you can recall them directly on the command line with "minicom hspd", for example.

The discussion might have continued from here.