OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: porting kamikaze to the airlink101 AR360W3G

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Jan 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I did a search for "AR360W3G" on the forums and found a post in "white russian developers only". The last post was several months ago and it looks like it's stagnated.  Has anyone got kamikaze working on this? Is anyone even working on it?

Never mind. a quick search of the wiki under supported hardware just answered my question. Yes it does work. now to get PHP, Ettercap, lighttpd on it so I can create Iron geek's wall of shame. Defcon is gonna be fun this year! smile

I would like to get OpenWRT running on this router as well.  What image did you load onto the AR360W3G?

Ok, I just looked at the wiki again and it seems that it's not "supported" it's "info entered" whatever the hell that means. So, that brings me back to my first question. Is anybody working on this?

I am.

How far have you gotten with this? 

I was able to get openwrt running on the AR360W3G using the RDCPort, but I needed to load a hacked version of RedBoot on the router to get it working.

I assume you used the MGB100 RedBoot image. My goal is to be able to generate images that can be flashed on without bootloader access, which can alternatively be used with that RedBoot. The primary obstacle at the moment is that a new flash-mapping driver that knows how to deal with AMIT's flash layout needs to be written. I would be glad to discuss this more at length in #openwrt-devel on FreeNode.

I'm on #openwrt-devel now if you want to chat about it.

Preliminary support for this model has been committed. Details at:
http://www.macsat.com/macsat/component/ … pic,773.0/
PCMCIA 16-bit 3G modems like my Sierra AirCard 860 do not seem to work yet, but CardBus ones should work out-of-the box; just add kmod-pcmcia-core to the buildroot.

I have decided to work on this port as well. dgi, thanks for your work. I hope to contribute lots to this project. I won't be satisfied until the support for this device is flawless.

Everything seems to be working fine... the only issue I have is that OpenWRT only sees 16 megs of RAM, when it's got 32. Any ideas?
I'm running redboot and building packages for the ar525 in the SDK.

Where did you get your Redboot image?  I'm pretty sure that is what sets the memory size.  Does your reset button on the back of the router work?

jalbert wrote:

Where did you get your Redboot image?  I'm pretty sure that is what sets the memory size.  Does your reset button on the back of the router work?

I'm using a reboot image for an AR525. The reset button doesn't work.

Try booting your kernel with boot option mem=32M

I would like to flash my ar680w as well, is there a guide somewhere here for openwrt noobs?

AMIT builds from trunk have an invalid profile.  The bin files brick the ar360w3g router.  The unit is using static mapping instead of dynamic mapping.  Any idea how to fix this issue?

Oh, wow! I haven't checked in on this in a while. I'm glad to see someone has done some work on this.

dhonn wrote:

AMIT builds from trunk have an invalid profile.  The bin files brick the ar360w3g router.  The unit is using static mapping instead of dynamic mapping.  Any idea how to fix this issue?

Has this problem been resolved? How close is this to being stable? or even close to stable?

bigdan wrote:

Oh, wow! I haven't checked in on this in a while. I'm glad to see someone has done some work on this.

It's a nice platform because it's super cheap.

bigdan wrote:

Has this problem been resolved? How close is this to being stable? or even close to stable?

If you really really want openwrt on it, you'll have to replace the bootloader with something else for now. I'm using Redboot. It has some side effects though. Since it's fairly large it overwrites the sector in flash where amit stores the MAC address. Not a big deal because you'll just get a random one, but it's annoying.

If I could just pop an OpenWRT image over the factory firmware, I'd be a very happy guy.

(Last edited by aport on 10 Feb 2009, 18:36)

The AMIT profile absolutely requires that you do NOT use RedBoot. You MUST use the stock bootloader, as installed by the upgrade tool from AirLink101.

What's the status of this at the moment? I was using the default firmware with the Level One WAP-0007, but I want rtorrent on it, and none of the hacks that work with the default firmware have rtorrent supported, nor do they seem to have enough flexibility to do what I want easily.

It looks like some people have gotten OpenWrt to run on the ar360w3g.

aport wrote:

I'm using a reboot image for an AR525. The reset button doesn't work.

Could someone please post an overview on how to get openwrt running on this device. Something along the lines of either where to download a working image, or what options need to be selected to compile it yourself and any precautions. For instance:

dgi wrote:

The AMIT profile absolutely requires that you do NOT use RedBoot. You MUST use the stock bootloader, as installed by the upgrade tool from AirLink101.

That's good to know but, those two quotes are a bit conflicting.

On a side note that has nothing to do with porting kamikaze; I just discovered the ar360w3g will run off the power from the usb port on my netbook. I'm using a plug from a different device that has a usb plug on one end and the correct round plug on the other end. Something like this could easily be hacked together from a couple of cables with the corresponding plugs on each end. I understand this is a bit off topic but I didn't think it warranted starting a new thread

bigdan,

I replaced the AMIT bootloader with redboot to provide some functionality that I needed. The bootloader is configured to accept images built for the AR525 in OpenWRT.

I haven't tried to flash an OpenWRT image (AMIT profile) over the default AMIT bootloader, so I can not comment as to the effectiveness of it.

I don't know about RDC support in trunk right now as I know that there have been many updates from florian. When I tested a kernel later than 2.6.24.7 my PCMCIA slot lost functionality, so I stayed with 8.09 tag.

I have a WMQ138AM router, and I'd like to run OpenWRT on it.  Could you help me, how can I replace the AMIT bootloader with redboot?  Thank you.

(Last edited by bk7ycy on 21 May 2010, 18:05)

The discussion might have continued from here.