OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: New Asus WL-500gp V2

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Is it possible to run OpenWrt on new Asus WL-500GP (Premium) V2??. It's similiar hardware to "original" WL-500GP ??.

Please help ....maybe someone try openwrto on this revision.

The main differences seem to be in that the wireless was moved onto the board itself (so no replacable miniPCI anymore), and a new CPU (Broadcom BR5354@240 Mhz).
On the outside, the WAN port was exchanged with the WLAN antenna, so the WAN port is now the right most port. Spotting a V2 seems to be easy by just looking where the antenna is.
Besides that, the platform seems to be not much changed, as some at  AsusForum.NET reported successful flashing of the V2 firmware on the old V1 units, with the expected side effects (= no wireless, and one lan port is now the wan port, while the wan port is now a lan port; but that should be easily fixable by changing some NVRAM variables).

GPL Sources are already there at ASUS' ftp, found here, weighing at almost 270 MB.

At first glance, it does not seem to be that hard to port openwrt to the V2. And perhaps there are one, two things in the new sources that can be used for the old models.

(Last edited by KanjiMonster on 3 Mar 2008, 00:24)

thanks for explain differences, im afraid about integrated wlan -  so i change to V1.  thanks for support KM !!

Too bad that Asus is going this way now too.

Probably I should just buy a MiniITX board (X86) then I always have enough options...

I just bought today a Asus WL-500gp, it is V2. I'm really newbie to all "this" stuff. But I would like to know if I can install OpenWrt on this router? Or should I even not bother?

I want OpenWrt, beacuse I get my net trough speedtouch 330 PPPoA modem wink

(Last edited by sztosz on 26 Mar 2008, 14:36)

The discussion might have continued from here.