OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: wl-500gp status

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Right now I'm using an old alcatel speed touch pro modem/router, a switch and an old wl-700 dlink 11mb access point. Now it's time to upgrade so I'm planning to buy a wl-500gp, install openwrt and use the alcatel as an adsl modem. I just need some advice before proceeding.
My needs are:
- a decent and stable router
- qos
- a couple of lan clients
- 54mb wireless with wpa for a couple of clients
all the extra features (fileserver for one) are welcome but not necessary.

I'm not a linux newbie but I would like a stable hassle-free setup. I've tried whiterussian on a wrt54gl borrowed from a friend. I didn't use it in production (no ppp nor wireless). I just played a little with ipkg and x-wrt. Installation was super easy.
I'm buying a wl-500gp because of its better features (more ram and usb). Just a few questions:
Is wl-500gp as stable as wrt54lg?
Are there some known stability features, expecially regarding wireless?
Is kamikaze stable enough or should I use whiterussian?
Thanks!
leonardo

OpenWrt Kamikaze does have problems with pptp "dial in" (and maybe other variants with ppp - search the forum), if your provider requires it, configure your modem to connect or stay with white russian.
There are several how to's for using the speedtouch as a router.

I need pppoe for my provider. Is this buggy with kamikaze?
Does the pptp bug affect wrt54gl too? If not I could prefer it to the asus or I could stuck with whiterussian.
As for the speedtouch its a home model (modem only) upgraded via firmware to pro and already used as a router.
Thanks!

If your speedtouch connects via pppoe to your provider, you don't need pppoe on the openwrt device.
Those bugs are device independent, I had problems on an Asus WL-500gd, and let the speedtouch 510i handling the connection for a few days. No more problems since then.

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=12811

I'm using a wl-500-gp with kamikaze 7.09 (2.4), apart from the port forwarding issue no problems, using PPPoE and a speedtouch modem...

LAN + QoS works decent and stable (running my own custom qos setup). I'm not using wireless at all though.

Letting the modem handle the connection (router mode?) sounds like a stupid idea to me.

I'm having issues with the wireless part of the asus router. Range and stability issues.

frostschutz wrote:

I'm using a wl-500-gp with kamikaze 7.09 (2.4), apart from the port forwarding issue no problems, using PPPoE and a speedtouch modem...

LAN + QoS works decent and stable (running my own custom qos setup). I'm not using wireless at all though.

Letting the modem handle the connection (router mode?) sounds like a stupid idea to me.

Could you point me to some post/ticket describing the port forwarding issue? I could need it.
I agree about the modem used as a router. I want only one router.

sfa wrote:

I'm having issues with the wireless part of the asus router. Range and stability issues.

are you having problems with both kamikaze and whiterussian?
I really like openwrt project and goals but I need wireless to be stable.
If it's not I will buy some reliable and cheap hw now (dg834g?) and come back to openwrt later.

I've had the same problems with both releases yes. And in kamikaze both kernels 2.4 and 2.6 with atheros card and without.

The discussion might have continued from here.