OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to reflash the linksys factory firmware in WRT54GL??

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, 

I have flashed openwrt-wrt54g-2.4-squashfs.bin file into WRT54GL. I would like to recover the linksys factory firmware. Please tell me the links or references to be made for this excercise.

Thanks and regards,
Nagarajan

forum2008 wrote:

Download the Linksys firmware image from their website and flash it via TFTP.

- http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … f591af31c8

The above link does not say how to go back to the stock Linksys firmware from the Kamikaze firmware, only from Linksys to OpenWRT. Please post instructions on how to do so.

Hello,

I would like to restore my WAG354G as nagubk82 want to. I tried with TFTP but it returns me en error ("Wrong Code Pattern"). I tried the web interface too but it failed again.

Best regards, Jamesbch.

(Last edited by jamesbch on 13 Feb 2008, 19:37)

I finally got it worked. I get the firmware in the UK site and get Annexe B. It worked fine. Thank you all.
Look at this page nagubk82 Link, or with TFTP:

Upgrading the Router’s Firmware Using TFTP utility

Note: Computer should be wired to the router using an Ethernet cable to make sure that the upgrade will not be interrupted.

Step 1: Downloading the TFTP Upgrade Utility

a. Go to ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/tftp.exe
b. Click Save and save the file to your desktop.

Step 2: Assigning a Static IP Address (for Windows XP)

a. Click Start, then Control Panel.
b. When the Control Panel window opens, double-click Network Connections.
c. Right-click Local Area Connection, then click Properties.
d. When the Local Area Connection Properties window appears, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then Properties.
e. Change the option from Obtain an IP address automatically to Use the following IP address and enter the following:
• IP Address: “192.168.1.5
• Subnet Mask: “255.255.255.0
• Default Gateway: “192.168.1.1 (This is the Default Gateway of the router)
• Preferred and Alternate DNS (Set these to obtain DNS server address automatically)
f. Click OK then OK or Close.

Step 3: Upgrading the Router’s Firmware

a. Double-click the tftp.exe file saved on your desktop.
b. For server, type the router’s IP address which is “192.168.1.1  by default.
c. For password, type the router’s password which is “admin  by default. If you change the password, please use your own password.
d. For file, browse for the firmware (.bin) file saved on your computer.
e. Double-click the file and click Upgrade. Wait for it to finish upgrading.

Step 4: Hard Reset the Router

a. Hold down the reset button for 30 seconds. Power light should be blinking when pressing the reset button. If it’s not blinking, try to push it harder.
b. Without releasing the reset button, turn off the unit by unplugging the power cord.
c. Continue holding it down for 10 seconds, turn it back on and that’s the time you release the reset button. Turn off the router for another 30 seconds, no need to press the reset button. Once you power on the router, power light should be solid now.

Firmware upgrade is now complete you may reconfigure the router for internet and wireless connections. After reconfiguring the router, please set the IP address of the computer back to automatic configuration for you to get online. You may refer to Step 2, only that you need to select “Obtain an IP Address Automatically  instead of assigning a static IP address.

PS: I found a version ready for the WAG354G of Kamikaze there: http://www.webalice.it/markvd/openwrt/ (perhaps someone will be interested)

(Last edited by jamesbch on 13 Feb 2008, 19:42)

bstone wrote:
forum2008 wrote:

Download the Linksys firmware image from their website and flash it via TFTP.

- http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … f591af31c8

The above link does not say how to go back to the stock Linksys firmware from the Kamikaze firmware, only from Linksys to OpenWRT. Please post instructions on how to do so.

Actually it shows how to flash any arbitrary firmware to the router via TFTP.  It just uses a Kamikaze image as an example.

The only difference in the instructions when flashing the original firmware would be the filename.

The discussion might have continued from here.