OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Bulletproof testing environment

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have started to develop a testing environment for unstable openwrt images.
The mission is to be able to test unstable software even on inaccessible outdoor nodes without ever loosing network access.

Idea:
- have a stable openwrt on the internal flash
- have various unstable images on partitions of the CF Card
- boot the unstable openwrt from the stable image (using kexec)
- reliable reboot automatically to the stable image if something goes wrong (using kernel+userspace watchdog)

It currently runs on the avila, mainly because my kexec port is only running on arm atm. (x86: untested, mips: not working)

The full step-by-step intro can be found on http://svn.net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de/proj … ulletProof
including links to all the required patches and packages

State of mips:

it seems that nobody has working kexec-tools for mips. I have browsed the web and found no positive results. I won't try to port the kexec-tools to mips on my own, but if somebody can point me to a patchset, that is claimed to actually work, then i'll happily apply it.

any luck with this?

pagefault wrote:

I have started to develop a testing environment for unstable openwrt images.
The mission is to be able to test unstable software even on inaccessible outdoor nodes without ever loosing network access.

Idea:
- have a stable openwrt on the internal flash
- have various unstable images on partitions of the CF Card
- boot the unstable openwrt from the stable image (using kexec)
- reliable reboot automatically to the stable image if something goes wrong (using kernel+userspace watchdog)

It currently runs on the avila, mainly because my kexec port is only running on arm atm. (x86: untested, mips: not working)

The full step-by-step intro can be found on http://svn.net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de/proj … ulletProof
including links to all the required patches and packages

uh,
Trac Error
TracError: The Trac Environment needs to be upgraded.
Run "trac-admin /home/trac/magnets upgrade"

The discussion might have continued from here.