Hey,

A few months back I bashed a subversion build ~8600 onto a DG834G v3 that I have sitting around to see if it worked. Complications with how Netgear have disabled the bootloader breaking and tftp interface made installing difficult but not impossible.

Just in case anyone's wondering, today's build installs just fine (as expected). If you want to view the dmesg for it, it's available here: http://pastebin.ca/854097

The device seems to "halt" if you don't press return to start a console the moment busybox prompts you to press return for a console. I can't be sure quite why this happens. The serial console gives no clues. The heartbeat on the device dies as well.

I've updated the wiki page for this router with information on how to install openwrt onto it: http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … r/DG834Gv3

The worst thing about installing is that until something like the sErCoMm update-over-network process is figured out (I see someone is working on trying to get upslug2 from the NSLU2 to work with the AR7 platform), the easiest way of getting openwrt onto this router is to install a safe Netgear firmware via the firmware recovery executable from Netgear's website. Version 4.01.06 of the DG834Gv3 firmware has a wget binary, so it makes obtaining the firmware from another host simple.

As for status:

ADSL: Handshakes and connects just fine.

Ethernet: Sending packets out makes all switch LEDs light up and blink at once, regardless of however many ports are attached to devices. Running tcpdump on a machine connected to the switch finds nothing whatsoever going over the wire.

Wireless: If you hit return the moment busybox prompts to hit return for a console, no ethernet interface appears for the wireless device and the router doesn't crash. If you don't hit return, the router crashes. If you move the module out of the modules directory, effectively disabling it, the router starts up just fine without crashing or having to hit return at a certain point. Bizarre that hitting return at the right time seems to convince the router not to crash.

If anyone can help with pointers as to how to go about fixing the ethernet, that would be really useful. I can't work out how to debug the problem - whether the problem is with the Marvell LAN MAC (88E6060-RCJ1, older models had a -RCJ) or if it's something significant to do with changes to the TNETD7200's cpmac controller.

Thanks,
rob.