OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: kamikaze build - old problem??

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,
I'm new to the community and I was trying to compile openwrt trunk branch for an atheros device but without success.....

Probably, there is a bug in the build system or in my environment....

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 under VmWare on a Windows XP system.
I've already installed all the needed packages (newest version):

gcc, g++, binutils, patch, bzip2, flex, bison, make, gettext, unzip, ncurses (libncurses-dev), libz-dev and
libc headers -- additional package dependencies: madwifi: uudecode(sharutils), privoxy: autoconf pkg-config automake (see FAQ)

Anyway, It seems that I'm not able to build the toolchain (or something else) :-(

This is an extract of config.log :

configure:2151: $? = 0
configure:2153: gcc -v </dev/null >&5
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.1.3 --program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)
configure:2156: $? = 0
configure:2158: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:2161: $? = 1
configure:2184: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2187: gcc -g -O2    conftest.c  >&5
/home/jars/Development/trunk/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_gcc4.1.2/bin/mips-linux-uclibc-as: unrecognized option `-Qy'
configure:2190: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:2228: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

The assembler doesn't like the -Qy option....

I found in the trac that somebody else had a similar problem https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/2800 solved with https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/9717 therefore it seems strange that it is happening again...there's been a regression problem on some file or it is a wrong build environment??

Should I start from a particular revision to solve???

Any hint is welcome because I'm not able to go further....

Sorry for long post

Thank you
Carlo

apt-get install build-essential

Thank you for your answer but It is not the problem....

I've already installed build-essential.... :-( (sorry but It wasn't in the list of installed package but I've already installed)

Now I'm compiling with revision 9717 and for broadcom target...it seems going...but then I want to try with atheros....

I will post my results....

Thank you

Carlo

Hi All,

ok...no problem in compiling for target bradcom...same problem for atheros target...even with revision 9717...

/home/jars/Development/trunk/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_gcc4.1.2/bin/mips-linux-uclibc-as: unrecognized option `-Qy'

I don't know why but that's it..... :-(

At the momen I'm able to compile only for broadcom target....

Any help is welcome...I don't know how to overcome the problem...

Carlo

Hi again,
I found the way to solve the problem....I hope that my solution can be useful for other developers.....

I compiled from latest trunk (revision > 10000) but in the "advanced configuration option" -> "toolchain options" -> "gcc compiler version" I set to use gcc 3.4.6 instead of default (gcc 4.1.2).

The clue came from bradcom compiling...in fact, in that case, gcc 3.4.6 is used by default.....I simply compiled for atheros using the same gcc....

Bye, Carlo

The discussion might have continued from here.