OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: uci bootwait config for kamikaze with kernel 2.6

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

Currently I am running kamikaze 7.09 with kernel 2.6.
As broadcom wireless is not supported in this version I am trying to reflash to another kamikaze image with kernle 2.4 using tftp method however getting "Timeout occurred" all the times.  I have tried too many times....

Does anyone know the correct uci setting for bootwait parameter as nvram support is not available in kamikaze 7.09.

I have tried following uci settings but not working...

system.cfg1.boot_wait=yes
system.cfg1.boot_time=10

I really appreciate if someone come out any possible solution to reflash.

thanks

M.Habib

what hardware are you running on? on many of the asus routers will let you enter a tftp mode by pressing a button (usually reset)

boot_wait is not something used the operating system, it has nothing to do with the firmware you are running.  It is a function of the bootloader (CFE)

boot_wait, along with all nvram, cannot be accessed under the 2.6 kernel as the nvram driver has not be ported.  It must be set via a firmware using the 2.4 kernel (either Kamikaze, White Russian, or any other firmware.)  Once this is set you shouldn't need to touch it again.

(Last edited by Bartman007 on 3 Jan 2008, 23:17)

Kamikaze does not use NVRAM and you can't change NVRAM variables from within Kamikaze with a 2.6 Kernel.

Attach a serial console and change the NVRAM variables directly in the CFE bootloader console or flash a Kamikaze 2.4 image change NVRAM and reflash with Kamikaze 2.6 image.

forum2008 wrote:

flash a Kamikaze 2.4 image change NVRAM and reflash with Kamikaze 2.6 image.

Hmm, but the OP's problem was that he couldn't flash a Kamikaze 2.4 image in the first place smile

mhabib: What hardware are you on? And how exactly are you trying to reflash? It sounds like you are on some sort of Broadcom unit (e.g. Linksys, Asus). In this case, as long as you are able to get to the OpenWrt command line, e.g. using telnet over ethernet, then you can reflash it using something like this:

# cd /tmp
# wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/7.09/brcm-2.4/openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx
# mtd -r -e linux write openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx linux

This will erase the flash, write the new image, and reboot. Wait a few minutes before trying to connect again.

If wget doesn't work (e.g. because you don't have a default route) then use another way to get the image file into /tmp, e.g. set a root password and then use scp to push the file from your PC to the box.

The discussion might have continued from here.