OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Advice required - (A)DSL Routers

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I'm after some help/advice/pointers , I'll even accept a general - No this wont work approach smile

I would like to be able to use a router with OpenWRT loaded to perform the following ;

1/ Route public IP's and offer NAT , i.e. if I had a router with a 4 port switch, public IP's on ports 1-3, NAT on port 4 + Wireless

2/ Support QoS on the routed IP's , SIP phones are going be used

3/ Full remote admin of the unit (SSH/Web , already possible)

4/ Ability to upload usage/bandwidth stats to a central server.

I know this could be achieved by using a Linksys WRT54GL for example and an ADSL modem - but looking for an all in one solution to the project.

If anyone has any ideas for a working solution could be a free ADSL connection it in for you (UK only).

I'm probably going to make a mistake or two.

1. The ADSL devices that I know of are the AR7 family.  I'm not sure if you can play with VLANs on the switch port.  If you can, you'd set up one for machines with public addresses, and one for machines with private addresses.  ISPs who offer multiple public IPs usually give you a bridged connection.  If so, you need to bridge the public IP vlan to the atm device.  Once you to that, those machines will get IPs.  If you can't play with VLANs, you need to do some packet filtering tricks so those machine's DHCP requests are sent to the internet, but blocked locally.  For the NAT machines, you would accept the DHCP requests locally, but block ALL their traffic on the bridge interface.

Routing is the easy part.

2. Should be doable.

3. Easy

4. The sloppy way I can think of to do this is use a modified version of wireshark, but I'm sure there are better ways.  The hard part is the monitoring; the rest is a shell script.

All of this is possible, but it's all easier said than done.

Many thanks for your info this is appreciated.

The only thing that is stumping me is the hardware - ideally we would want to furnish people with one combined unit (adsl modem/router) - this is the bit I am stuck on.

The discussion might have continued from here.