OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Telnet server with password set?

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi! Is there a way to use telnetd when root password is set? I have built a custom image for 2MB Edimax adm5120 board and don't have free space for dropbear. hmm

Yes, look at /etc/init.d/telnet and simply delete all other lines in start() function than the one containing telnetd.

No, those lines just make sure that telnetd doesn't start once root password is set in fstab. Even if i start it manually with that command it instantly closes connection after it is established. I believe that it is /bin/login, that exits once started by telnetd.

I have found out that Kamikaze doesn't even build proper login BusyBox applet. /bin/login is just a wrapper that basically check the same thing as /etc/init.d/telnet does + if failsafe is used. If it passes, wrapper just gives a shell. Well, time to rebuild with proper login support.

Strange, on my box telnetd runs fine from the command line and I can telnet in. Handy when you are playing with your ssh/dropbear configuration.

I'm using week or so old svn kamikaze.

See http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=11910 and I am now using this with Kamikaze 7.09 (originally tested on 7.07)

However, this involves building /bin/login which is in turn a component of busybox, but it might give you some ideas. I believe you can build a standalone /bin/login from busybox source.

(Last edited by candlerb on 30 Nov 2007, 09:52)

The discussion might have continued from here.