OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: zd1211-rw against zd1211 community based driver (current r85)

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Dear nbd and Florian,

almost since one year I observe the development process of kamikaze.
The both issues I do observe are the broadcom-2.6 and the zd1211 developments.

We all know broadcom-2.6 wireless isn't working. I do not ask, when it will be working, because you are not the main developers for that driver.
On the other hand, I am free to consider your zd1211 driver changes, efforts and policy as questionable.

Florian did cancel the zd1211 suppport for 2.4 with Changeset 3636 because it did not compile.
So I could not bring Broadcom-Wireless [2.4] (Asus WL-500gx) and zd1211 USB together.
I played with compile parameters and other things in zd1211, 2.4 and it did compile but with a lot of unresolved symbols when insmod.
I am am not firm with kernel modules and I dig and dig in forums and driver-sites but the solution is far away and I didn't find co workers.

So I focused Kernel 2.6, zd1211-r85 and one other usb-wlan-device with the aim, they do work together as a real wlan-bridge.
Therefor I need the zd1211 device as master (ap-mode).
Which driver does this task for me? zd1211-rX can work as ap, zd1211-rw not (linuxwireless.org).

I dont wont loose so much words, easily take a look at Changeset 7433, Ticket 1806 and Changeset 7461. It's self explaining.

I don't want feel as guard of zd1211 but make me please understand the withdrawel of zd1211-package/driver again with Changeset 9372.

Yes, there are concurrent versions of a zd1211 driver and in my very humble opinion, there are good reasons for that as long as there are diffierent approaches of the driver structure.
Therefore please leave this concurrency or correct me if I'am wrong and/or blind.

So far as you can't become broadcom-wireless on kernel 2.6 working, who want's to help me, that zd1211-r85 will work with kernel 2.4?
Can the compiling problems really be so big, that you move that package from that tree completely?
When I play with compiling and I had i little success but after all the insmod fails, I had the feeling, that I was so near to the solution. But I have not the lot of knowledge of kernel modules, compiling options and so on.
The only thing I can do, is reporting my efforts, collecting informations, and testing things. I am no kernel hacker.
In the meantime (six months ago) my son was born. Isn't that a good reason, not learning kernel hacking, but other things?

Thanks a lot and CU,
Sven

szsoftware wrote:

So far as you can't become broadcom-wireless on kernel 2.6 working, who want's to help me, that zd1211-r85 will work with kernel 2.4?

Seems broadcom+2.6 can be quite near now.

See http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=58700#p58700

The discussion might have continued from here.