OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: netgear sc101 SAN 2xide

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

i found a serial on this device!
it is texas instrument based, vxworks running
more infos in the wiki: http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … gear/SC101

it has only 2mb flash, but there are harddrives, so space for more packages can be stored on the dives, only the kernel and some basics can be hold on the flash.
i have a tftp option in the bootloader, how can i now / try if the ar7 port from kamikaze is working?

Hey, can you give me some information about the serial on the device netgear sc101?

I will port this device to openwrt os.

are u still porting openwrt  to this? These boxes are extreemly cheap: $59 but the current implementation is very poor and useless.. you need a client etc to access the drives. Can you imagine this beeing an open os... this would be the perfect NAS!

ulf_k wrote:

i found a serial on this device!

Can you please specify a bit better where you found the serial? I spend an hour looking at the PCB, and there is no obvious serial connector to me.

I did write down some other stuff, I think I will add it to the wiki data page

(Last edited by cybermaus on 9 Jan 2008, 21:09)

Ok, I spend some time guessing the 20 pin header, and I found the serial Tx and after a lot more time, the Rx. The Rx took so much longer, because if I connected it before powerup, the device would not in fact power up. Possibly the Rx is also a JTAG function, and the 3.3V idle of my cable's Tx triggers some JTAG function or something. So, I have to connect the power and then quickly connect the cable's Tx to the device Rx and press Esc. Or, if I was too slow, wait for a full VxWorks boot (about a minute), and then type the command reboot ...

This is what I found:

10 = RxD
14 = TxD
11 = Reset (or behaves so)
12,15,18,19,20 = GND

all others I wrote the measured average signal level

0V signal   1  2  3.3V signal
 3.2V signal   3  4  3.3V signal
   0V signal   5  6  3.3V signal
 3.2V signal   7  8  3.3V signal
 3.2V signal   9 10  RxD
       Reset  11 12  GND
 3.2V signal  13 14  TxD
         GND  15 16  3.2V signal
   0V signal  17 18  GND
         GND  19 20  GND

The square pin is of course pin 1 and is the one closest to the crystal

So you can nicely connect the serial to the row of pins 10,12,14

Next to see if I can compile or find an AR7 image small enough to fit in 2Mb
If anyone has experiance with the PSPBoot or TI AR7, and can hint me at some does or donts or obvious or less obvious traps, feel free. Some relevant device data is shown in the SC101 data page.

Hi Guys,

I'm an extreme newb at hardare hacking. However I do have a refurbished sc101 which is basically a brick alongside my Vista-64 machine (no drivers).

I'm willing to test and QA for you in whatever way I can.

There is a whole community of sc101 owners who want this thing to be more open standards based.

Cheers

The URL listed for the SC101 appears to be non-functional.  http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … gear/SC101

Help!

(Last edited by markweston on 26 May 2009, 15:49)

heya guys,
are anybody still working on this project?

very interesting information you guys found out about this device. any luck on getting code to run on it yet?

Anyone have any luck with this yet? I have one of these expensive paper weights. Netgear did produce a real pile of s**t when they made the software for this. Anyway....

Anyone got anything to run on it? What are the main limitations?

Is it the 2MB of flash? I was thinking of replacing the flash chip with a larger one, the largest I can get hold of is 8MB. Would that be enough to get something working on it?

I am not a OpenWRT guru, but I am ok with a soldering iron. So if I do replace the flash chip would anyone be interested in helping me out after that?

Thanks,

hi i have a FSG-3, which has also only 4MB Flash but an internal Harddisk where the rootfilesystem is stored on

some similar function should also be available for this device.

Is there a working port for this out there,

had anyone success with this device running any other firmware than vxWorks/netgear. ??

This is interesting, altho noone seems to be doing any progress here as of yet.
Altho i too are no wizz in regards of the actual workings and guts of devices, but i am awesome at RTFM.
If needed i can document with photos or anything else, soldering is no problem either.
The programming and how to actually do the magic, that i can not do.

I really hope there is someone that can take this task and i would gladly help in any way i can between my chair and screen big_smile j/k

Did read that "someone" did get dd-wrt to run altho not 100% on a netgear wgr614v6 with 2Mb flash.
Theoretically the base memory limit should not be the biggest problem if i am not mistaken due to the fact you can add storage to the device itselves.
Found some information on http://wiki.zeropain.com/index.php/SC101 altho somewhat vauge.

(Last edited by CraXyOW3 on 22 Jun 2012, 20:01)

Sorry for bumping this but im still curious and willing to be a guineapig for doing something with this device.

Bump,

the 8MB Ram is really low.

maybe an idea is to get rid of the PCB and make a combination with an TL-WR703n and some USB-IDE converters.

Well,

nice, but where is the how to for guys not having that much time developing the migration to openwrt by themselves?
I also have an SC101 here and yet I was just (un-)using it as just a power device for the HDD with USB2IDE cables.
If there is any chance to get this running, I will be more than happy.

Please give us some hint, how to start...
I tried to use the common way like it is described for WLAN-Routers, tftp after booting etc. but with no success...

There is another alternative which would be functional.
I found sc101-nbd to be fully working and also makes it use the ext fs on it. Yes you can NOT use it with the Netgear original software in windows making it impossible for windows clients to use it at all.

But think, install sc101-nbd in openwrt, enable samba/ftp or your preferred network sharing and voila.

I saw that one named zeropain converted the source to openwrt but all references to him is gone.
Also i tried to make one my selves but it isnt working and i have requested help on the subject here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=41120

The discussion might have continued from here.