OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: new asus wl500gp can't turn on wifi

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hello world. just put kamikaze on two brand new WL500GPs. Everything looks ok, except wlan.

At first both had wlan disabled. iwconfig showed txpower: off on both interfaces. I fiddled around with one of them and when i was about to write my problem here I had the idea of adding a config section with option mode ap (I only had wds up until then).
After a reboot this one router suddently brings up it's wl0 interface and adds it to the bridge. There is also an interface called wds0.1 which also seems to be what I want. I can't connect to the router using wlan: authentication timed out. So there still might be something wrong, but I only care for wds. Since wl0 came up after I added a normal ap wifi-iface I figure I have to put that on the other router as well.

/etc/config/wireless:
config wifi-device wl0
   option type broadcom
   option channel 5

config wifi-iface
   option device wl0
   option network lan
   option mode ap
   option ssid default
   option encryption psk
   option key myothersecretkey

config wifi-iface
   option device wl0
   option network lan
   option mode wds
   option ssid OpenWrt
   option encryption psk
   option key mysecretkey
   option bssid MA:Co:Fo:TH:ER:dE:VI:CE

both images are the same, both config files are the same (except for the bssid) one of them brings up wl0, the other doesn't.
can anybody help me with this?

thanks in advance

solved it, but don't know how or why. i reflashed the device and rebuild my configuration step by step. first simply enabling wlan, no extra settings. after a reboot wl0 came up. then i put in the ap-config, sreboot => works add the wds section, reboot => works.

Maybe the system doesn't like being told to unfolg it's full potential right after first boot :-)

The discussion might have continued from here.