Topic: Recommendation for OpenWRT hardware platform

I'm putting together a mesh system in an "rf-challenged" environment. I'm looking to deploy ~100 nodes in a year or so. I've been doing some testing with WRT54GL's and OpenWRT and I have a configuration that works well. I'm now at the point where I want to move on to a higher-power multi-radio board.

I took a look at the routerboard 333's and they are basically what I'm looking for from a hardware perspective - aside from the fact that they don't run OpenWRT yet. So, I wanted to know if anyone here has a recommendation for a platform. My targets are (in order of importance):

-Platform supported by OpenWRT
-relatively capable cpu/switch (I want to do 802.11n routing, so 200mbps+ is preferred)
-3 mini-pci slots for high-power radios
-minimal internal connections (i.e. I don't want to be using a pci->minipci adaptor to get more slots)
-relatively low power consumption (I'm targeting around 25w total for board +3 radios)
-fanless
-small footprint
-serial port

I've taken a look at the WRAP boards, and they look to be a little too underpowered on the cpu-side. The ALIX 3b2 board looks closer to what I need, although I still would like another minipci slot. Oh, and its not available yet sad

Re: Recommendation for OpenWRT hardware platform

The processors used currently in commercial routers (266Mhz x86 or 266-300Mhz RISC) are very slow, I tested my ASUS WL500gP and I can't route more than 5MB of real traffic, and this using the standard Ethernet, not wireless. The wireless is using much more CPU than eth. With 802,11n you can reach ~10MB of real traffic, but you will only be able to route a small part of it (I think that somewhere around 3MB).
And if you use QoS the 5MB on eth will lower to 2-2.5MB.

But I guess you already know the limitations big_smile.

You can try via EPIA boards, they have 1GHz CPU and 100mmx72mm in size

Re: Recommendation for OpenWRT hardware platform

did you look at gateworks avila boards -->

http://www.gateworks.com/