OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: SpeedTest: Downloading from a USB drive

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

How much download speed do you get from a USB hdd (or stick) connected to your router?

I searched the forum and I can't find any reference, so I am very courios to see how well is your router behaving with USB disks in OpenWRT.
To test the dl speed just copy a file in linux/windows and post the results, and also your configuration.

My configuration is a Asus WL500gP with WhiteRussian (sorry Kamikaze, I need working wireless...)
I use a NFS share on a Corsair 1GB Usb 2.0 Stick.
The download speed is ~2MB/s (varies between 1.9 and 2.1).
The test was done in TotalCommander.

Thank you,
Ovydake

UPDATE:
Using vsftp i get 2,6MB/s

(Last edited by Ovydake on 21 Sep 2007, 19:09)

That sounds about right.

It depends on the rated speed of your USB drive. Most cheap drives will average 2 to 5 megabytes per second. If you spend a little more you can get faster rated sticks that can reach up to 10 or 15 megs a second.

Ovydake wrote:

My configuration is a Asus WL500gP with WhiteRussian (sorry Kamikaze, I need working wireless...)

Wireless does work in Kamikaze, might want to read the release notes a bit more carefully.

Well, AFAIK your download speed is not limited by the used usb-Stick but by your cpu.
My wl-500gd with 200Mhz can only handle around 1,8MB per second with 100% CPU usage (normally is't around 0% ^^)

with best regards

p90

So, the limitation is from the CPU. Last night I ran some test and I found out that the raw data rate of my USB stick is ~8MB/s, I used:

time cp file.big /dev/null

and the CPU usage was ~40% (the kernel module was using >35%). But when I try to transfer data over the network I get 90% CPU usage. With only ~5-10% by the kernel module, so the 90% of the processor is used by the transfer protocol (Samba/NFS or vsftp), probably with non DMA memory copy operations (reading from drive then writing to eth) and IP encapsulation.
So the solution is to use a low overhead protocol, but which one?
Maybe TFTP?

(Last edited by Ovydake on 22 Sep 2007, 09:53)

Bartman007 wrote:
Ovydake wrote:

Wireless does work in Kamikaze, might want to read the release notes a bit more carefully.

Almost all of these platforms are based on 2.6 kernels
    with the exception of Broadcom -- Sorry; we couldn't get a stable wifi
    connection on 2.6.

If there is no 2.6 (with improved multitasking) then I don't see the point of switching to Kamikaze, I'll wait for the next release, maybe the wireless will get fixed and I'll make the switch.

The discussion might have continued from here.