OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Firmware upgrade problem

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

I have wl-500gp.I want to install  brcm47xx-2.6/openwrt-usr5461-squashfs.bin.

I know that 2.6 doesn't have good support for wlan but I don't want to use it so it's ok.

I have tried to install firmware with tftp following instructions for windows and linux and
didn't succeed.

I will list my steps so if anyone can help debug my steps please do...I cannot find what's seems to be
the problem.

INITIAL SETUP:
router address: 192.168.1.1
connected with laptop running winxp and linux debian 4.0 with strait-trough cable in Lan port #1.

windows:

# Open two command windows (Start-Run-Enter "cmd")
# In one window, type "ping -t -w 10 192.168.1.1" and press enter. 192.168.1.1 is the router IP.
# Ping will continuously try to contact the wrt with 10 ms timeout instead of default 4000 ms. Keep this running
#

In the other window, prepare the tftp command "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT OpenWrt-gs-code.bin". Do not press enter yet!
# Now you may plug in the router (unplug it first if it was plugged).
# In the ping window it will start saying "Hardware Error"
# Return to the tftp window. As soon as the ping window starts to answer again, press enter in the tftp window.
# The image should now be flashed without multiple tries.
# If ping starts with "Hardware Error", then starts to answer, and then returns to "Hardware Error" again for a short moment, you waited too long.

RESULT:
It didn't work, reports timeout.

------------------------

Linux:

#tftp 192.168.1.1
tftp>binary
tftp>rexmt 1
tftp>timeout 60
tftp>trace
Packet tracing on.
tftp> put openwrt-usr5461-squashfs.bin
Transfer timed out.

RESULT:
It didn't work, reports timeout.

Somewhere I read that router must bi in diag mode ....but didn't find the solution on that.

Please help.
tnx in advance.

The discussion might have continued from here.