OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: RO.B.IN - ROuting Batman INside mesh network

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi to all

I'm using BATMAN routing algorithm on a kamikaze based firwmare, realizing
ROBIN (Routing Batman Inside) MESH: a 0-config, QoS capable mesh software
which targets Atheros AP51 devices such as Meraki Mini or Fonera.

As soon as flashed, mini-routers act as mesh-network appliances: all you need
is power-on the devices and connect almost one of these to a xDSL DHCP capable
router; users in the mesh cloud can associate with mesh nodes APs (open and
WPA-PSK protected ones) and start browsing. ROBIN comes also with a
precofigured NoDogSplash release offering firewalling and throttling.

If you want test the ROBIN download it (images and docs) from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ponte2/
the tarball contains the kernel (vmlinux.gz .lzma) and the root filesystem
(jffs2-64k) needed for flashing Meraki Mini and Fonera (beta testing versions)

Many thanks to all for suggestions, reports and bug divering!

--
Antonio
a.anselmi(at)oltrelinux(dot)com
www.blogin.it

How about setting up a repository with version control, containing real OpenWrt source packages with your enhancements, as well as any patches to the build system that the system needs...

I second the motion.

Hi ansanto
Good job, wow in Kamikaze!!!
Your firmware work for Linksys or only in Fonera, Meraki?
Since you use openwrt to do that, could you write a howto, to get back something to this proyect?
Wath you think about it, can you?

Thanks

Sure you are right... rootfs and kernel are the "final" products coming from my build tree. However releasing only single files presume user would have at home all the necessary to make its own build tree, and would be more "skilled"...
Really I don't know what would be the better way: maybe offering some kined of repository with enhancements and patches (into their respective directories)  would be a solution.
Tell me what you think about

For what concerns HowTo and some docs you can download robin howto or visit www.blogin.it

--
thanks for comments

Antonio

Hi again
First time, sorry by my english I know is realy bad, whatever I promise to start learn English and I will treat that it is American´s English as somebody said to me. jejejjjejej smile

I guess that any contribution we could to do, it would be good for everyone, so if you can, because you have the knowledge and time, please do that, because many people with less knowledge like me, could be learn and in the future, they could make a contribution little or big.

I got your documentation about robin, It's looking like a howto.
I'm going to try this on linksys wrt54gl, I am not sure that it will work, so if you can do a package, to build or an ipk that work in many plataforms, that would be huge

At this moment Kamikaze don't have a web interface, so it is more difficult to do something for end users can use, or do a module of configuration, so your offering is very good!

Thanks for that!!!

@fofware
your english is better than mine...
however DO NOT try to run robin on wrt54xx ! robin is at now working on Atheros based chip and not works on Broadcom such as Linksys device.

Ok thanks.
I'm going to try install batman package, and I will configure it using your documentation like guide, so if i can put to work batman on Broadcom, maybe you can put all in one package or maybe in your firmware...
an other question... Batman could be work on Broadcom?
Because I'm trying with olsr too, but with olsrd v 0.5.2, I can't put to work. I did read what in kamikaze i need use olsrd v 0.5.1 but I did try to make the ipkg or find it, but i can´t do that.
Ok, I did finish the configuratio of Chilli + Freeradius with local users and proxy-radius, now I'm looking howto make a package with every that.
I will ask to developers of Openwrt, what they suggest they like start point to web-interface, because I want do that too but I don't know if a good idea use webif like base to do a modular interface for openwrt

>Really I don't know what would be the better way: maybe offering some kined of repository with enhancements and patches
>(into their respective directories)  would be a solution.

That would be great.

This is very interesting project !!  Do we have any updates on this?

Thanks for your interest in ROBIN.
We are working/testing on a new release based on BATMAN IV daemon, asap we have a decent and stable firmware I'll upload sourceforge.

-- Antonio

I like the work that you've done currently on this firmware.  However, I would like to replace NoDogSplash with WifiDog, so I would need to get your source to add your modifications to my builds. Is it possible that you can specify a repository that I can check out/clone?  I'm also wondering if I can get any information on the status tool that you had described in your instructions.  What is this tool exactly, and where can we get it.

In these days we are busy having to give Accton the images  in order to produce the first slot of "robinized" routers but I'll be happy to send you the all tarball with the latest package and scripts (actually the revision 1003).
We think to raise-up a public repository as soon as possible, at present day I can give you - via direct email - only an FTP account to grab real-time revisions form my site.
Thanks for writing.

-- Antonio
a.anselmi@oltrelinux.com

Hi, Antonio.

ansanto wrote:

In these days we are busy having to give Accton the images  in order to produce the first slot of "robinized" routers

Please more in detail, the spec, the price, the day, bla bla bla......

zukky

The discussion might have continued from here.