OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: mystery traffic ....

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hardware : linksys wrt54g v2.2
isp : www.telenet.be

my isp has traffic limits, 12 gb combined up and download during 1 month.
i had noticed that recently i was reaching the limit faster than before. if i look back it might have started around the time i changed the firmware on my router from a sveasoft alchemy version to openwrt Kamikaze 7.06 (i had also installed the webif2 package, wifi was on with wpa2 and a strong password), but during the same period my mom started playing bridge online and downloading all sorts of bridge software clients, so i was wondering if those caused the excess traffic.

beginning this month we were on holiday so this would be the perfect time to see if she was causing the traffic. before we left disconnected all the networkcables from the pcs, so the only thing that was powered on was the cable modem and the router.

upon returning i checked my isps account pages and noticed that in 5 days time i used 1gb of traffic, ranging from 100 to 300 megs a day ...

now i upgraded to to 7.07 and havnt installed any new packages, i also didnt enable wifi yet.

anyone has an idea on where to look for what causes that traffic ?
- the router generating taffic ?
- wireless pcs trying to connect generating traffic ? i dont think so cos that would be traffic between the pcs and the router, and would not show up on the isp side
- internet pcs generating traffic by connecting to my modem/router ?

all ideas are welcome

thanks in advance

Very strange, did you enable traffic log ? Any other packages installed ?

Possibly webif2 is causing ghost traffic, worth investigating as it's not really marginal...

(Last edited by intrax on 13 Aug 2007, 17:30)

i didnt have any other packages installed than webif2 and didnt change any other settings towards logging or so.

It might be webif2 indeed. i wrote that i reinstalled the router with just the default kamikaze 7.07 without any other packages and no wifi, and for today (pcs not been on yet till now) the isp account screen shows 1mb usage, so thats something acceptable.

now i ll first try enabling the wifi and see what tomorrow will bring, if again no ghost traffic i ll install webif2 again and see if there ll be ghost traffic again.

anyone another idea ?

The discussion might have continued from here.