OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Asus WL-500gP

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi. I'm new to OpenWRT and i would like some advice for installing it on my new router Asus WL-500g Premium.
First off. Is there anything i need to think of when installing the firmware ? how should i install the firmware ? and what firmware to install ?
I've read the wiki and i can't really figure out how to install kamikaze 7.07 on that router since the wiki mentions some other releases but not the kamikaze.

According to the wiki it uses Broadcom 4704 chipset therefore i should be able to use this image ? openwrt-brcm47xx-2.6-squashfs.trx ?

Thankfull for all the help i can get smile I've previously installed dd-wrt on a Linksys WRT54G (v5) so i'm not totally fresh on the subject smile I just don't want a bricked router now that i'm getting a new one.

This will help:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … %28asus%29

And I use ver. 2.4 branch for the moment, as wireless support is not complete in 2.6.
And, when I flashed the Asus 500gP I used the firmware restoration and the .trx from download.

Sincerely.

Nice thanks smile
What's the problem with 2.6 btw ?

The OpenWRT developers haven't been able to get the wireless working very well with the 2.6 kernel, so use the 2.4 unless you change your radio card to something other than Broadcom or don't use the wireless at all. A lot of us are using Atheros a/b/g mini-pci cards in their WL500gP and using the 2.6 kernel.

Rob

Feels like it's defeating the purpose of purchasing a cheap router to replace the mini-pci card in it.
So i'll stick with 2.4 for now smile Any big downsides of using 2.4 rather than 2.6 ?

2.6 has stability issues on the wl500gp. See Bug report #2035.

Though it was reported as fixed in r8165 I've just built r8211 (2.6.22.1) and I'm still seeing the same problems.

I meant function-wise from 2.4 to 2.6 smile
What am i missing out on when running 2.4 compared to 2.6 (if it would have worked)

Anybody knows when will works broadcom wifi on 2.6?

I have gone the similiar path wl500gp I bought a atheros minipci card AUD$30 and change the wifi - works fine now. and with 2.6

I've got a spare Intel IPW2200G mini-pci adapter. Any one got any experience getting this to work instead of the atheros card ?
Don't wanna buy a new mini-pci card when i've got one that i don't use. + the router won't be so cheap if i replace the mini-pci card smile

I had to reflash original asus firmware sad Nobody answering my questions and i can't live with a 99% faulty wlan..
If anyone has any other solution to this than disabling the distance parameter please tell me so i can try it again.
But for now i've given up. This isn't working.

Well seems like it's the broadcom wireless itself that's much more sensitive than my linksys router.
So now i've temporarly put in a external accesspoint and installed kamikaze 7.07 2.6.22 kernel while waiting for my new atheros mini-pci card smile Hope this will solve things.

But i'm wondering. While using the 2.6.22 kernel i get alot of segfaults etc. Will these go away once replacing the mini-pci card ?
Or will i simply have to live with these ? Seems they don't block any of the "usage" of the router. But they sure are annoying though.

The discussion might have continued from here.