OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WL500 W kamikaze SVN rev.7880 .trx builds perfectly but no ping

The content of this topic has been archived between 27 Apr 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello

wl500w-openwrt-7880.trx k.2.4 was a couple of days learning experience, but the buildroot compiling environment works impressively good... Respect guys. At the and I have bash shell script for unattended compile of the latest svn snapshot which I happily share with other WL500W users.

There is though a "minor" challenge left as the compiled image when loaded with tftp doesn't reply to ping to 192.168.1.1, Shit! Bricked AGAIN??? Uploading back the original WL500W_1.9.8.2_TW.trx and ... Ping is back. What a relief. smile

You can see the buildWL500W.sh script my latest almost fully enabled config and 7880.trx and 7887.trx image at http://cinober.files-upload.com/

WL500-W users, have you any idea what am I doing wrong ?

I have earlier bricked one box so I am at the moment avoiding opening the box (Warranty seal). Are there any docs on building/using USB serial console?

If anyone helps me fix the missing ping "inconvenience", the latest SVN snapshot binary builds for WL-500W could be made available automatically, making that platform one step closer to supported.

Thanks for any input.

Regards cinober

heyho,
line 156 in your buildscript looks like:
   option proto    static option ipaddr   192.168.1.1
might be the failure smile.

crazy_imp

Hey crazy_imp

Thanks for your reply. I am not that into parameters. I have just copied the manual from:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … sus/WL500W

What do you think is wrong with the copied line:
   option proto    static option ipaddr   192.168.1.1

I am expecting ping from there and do not get any.

cinober

(Last edited by cinober on 9 Jul 2007, 11:15)

you can't have two "option ..." in one line, it should look like these:
   option proto    static
   option ipaddr   192.168.1.1

ps: i fixed this and another typo on the wikipage

(Last edited by crazy_imp on 9 Jul 2007, 16:37)

I woud like to test your firmware for the Ausu wl-500w, when you (cinober) think it is working :-)

i could go a slice of that action smile

(Last edited by winterdog on 10 Jul 2007, 19:26)

Hello crazy_imp.

Thanks for your hint. It's working. Now I have kamikaze on box

login as: root
root@192.168.1.1's password:

BusyBox v1.4.2 (2007-07-09 22:48:08 CEST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
KAMIKAZE (bleeding edge, r7902) -------------------
  * 10 oz Vodka       Shake well with ice and strain
  * 10 oz Triple sec  mixture into 10 shot glasses.
  * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!
---------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~# login as: root
  * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!
---------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~#

To boot the first time I was forced to press black reset button when applying power similar as when flashing the image.

There is a challange left. I can't change IP and have it remembered. Basically every time box boots all is forgotten, even password. I will read archives some more. I thing I saw there similar problem with kamikaze on ASUS wl500 gP.
Is that a common kamikaze-ASUS-booting problem?

Latest working image wl500w-openwrt-7902.trx was uploaded to the same address http://cinober.files-upload.com/

Today is a good day    smile

my wl500-gp works fine with kamikaze smile.
don't think it's a problem with kamikaze and asus devices.

How is it going whit Asus WL-500w firmware ? Any one got it working ?

Hey Cinober.
I've just tried your 7910 build from http://cinober.files-upload.com/.
I had no problem flashing my WL-500W and telnet to it afterwards. So great job so far.

I still have to problems. The first one is the one you pointed out yourself: I doesn't save any changes, so all settings are lost on reboot.

The second one is much worse: No wireless.

Well the wireless seems to work.
I go to /etc/config/wireless to configure it, and run /sbin/wifi up
Then I can connect to the router through wireless.

So it seems that this would work pretty good if the settings for wireless wasn't lost if I loose power and the router is restarted.

So if there is anything i can try to help you figure this out; just let me know.

Smint

Hi

Sorry if this old ground, but does this mean that the broadcom wifi stuff is now working in 2.6 ?

I have a WL500Gp that I was just about to flash up with kamikaze and then found out that the 2.6 kernel isn't available because of wifi problems.

Is there any new news on this ?

Why bother with the Broadcom WiFi at all?

IIRC correctly the 500W and 500gP have the WiFi card in a MiniPCI slot. Why not simply replace it with some Atheros (e.g. Wistron CM9) WiFi card? Then you have working WiFi and Kamikaze with a 2.6 Kernel.

(Last edited by forum2006 on 23 Jul 2007, 11:48)

forum2006:
i have a wl500-w it would be real nice if i could get N speed on my device under kamikaze 
(as the oleg's firmware is fine but not as functonal as kamikaze )
(i also have a wrt300n v2 that i would love to get rid of the stock firmware )

forum2006 wrote:

Why bother with the Broadcom WiFi at all?

IIRC correctly the 500W and 500gP have the WiFi card in a MiniPCI slot. Why not simply replace it with some Atheros (e.g. Wistron CM9) WiFi card? Then you have working WiFi and Kamikaze with a 2.6 Kernel.

Thats what I original bought.  shame, guess I will do some hunting around.

Thanks

Cinober >>> I compiled the new 7.07 version of kamikaze with your suggestions.
I works perfectly but I had same problem as you: I can't save any data.

Then by running dmesg | tail upon boot-up I noticed that it complains about my jffs2 version being to old.
If thats the problem you have, then here is the solution:

cat /proc/mtd

find the name for the rootfs_data (thats the jffs2 overlay for the squashfs)
erase the content of the jffs2 overlay and reboot:
mtd -r erase mtd4 (on my router the rootfs_data is mtd4).

Then it just works. If this does the trick for you, please update your guide.

Hi Smint

It looks like my WL500W is supported enough for me since your last contribution. Thanks a lot. There are two new builds of latest SVN snapshots and I plan to make it automated. SVN was broken for me for a couple of weeks and I was quite busy not even reading this great solution of yours. Now can I buy USB ttl card and finally connect my home alarm system to my NEW linux driven router.

Does anybody know how to make this solution part of the kernel build process ? - to avoid manual intervention:

mtd -r erase $(cat /proc/mtd | sed -n -e 's/^\([^:]*\):.*"rootfs_data"/\1/p' )

?

No more partly supported smile ! At least not for for ME

cinober wrote:

cinober,

Do you mean that Draft n works now ?

tanguy15 wrote:
cinober wrote:

cinober,

Do you mean that Draft n works now ?

No. It's just everything else except Draft N works and that's good enough for me (54Mb with good coverage). I can wait for drivers.

But do you think it will one day ?

tanguy15 wrote:

But do you think it will one day ?

Everithing gets to work in open source one day. The question is just how soon/late ?

Regards Cinober

Hey,

Cinober... I've been trying to download your files from files-upload.com, but it would seem impossible... only way to find your files is to do a search on there and even then it won't let me download them.... any other way I can grab your buildscript or images? Want to get this 500W working wink

Thank you

Hey darkfires and other users

"No time" is the name of the disease. Files and scripts are available again from http://marjancinober.googlepages.com/wl500-index.htm now and I hope for some time in the future as well.

I am still interested for a simpler account to a ftp / http server to serve the wl500w builds/scripts. Any offers?

Regards Cinober

I'm having a strange problem with my 500w.  I follow Cinober's howto from the hardware page (a few of the paths have changed, but not hard to figure out) and build Kamikaze (10065) without any errors.  It flashes fine, and seems to boot ok - ie the power light comes back on when the kernel finishes booting, however I have no network connectivity and cannot ping/ssh/whatever.  I even tried using a few of the prebuilt images from http://marjancinober.googlepages.com/wl500-index.htm but still no joy.  Reflashing the original firmware works, and I can ping/www, so it's not a hardware problem...  It's something with the image. 

I think my next step is to build an image without any wifi drivers to see if that works...  It may be that Asus has switched to a different minipci wifi card, and trying to load the broadcom driver is crashing the router. 

I'd also like to install a serial console but am not sure where the pins are.  Plus, I suck at soldering, so I'm quite nervous about bricking the thing.  Still, I'm going to pick up a cable + soldering iron today and give it a whirl.  Cracking the case will also let me see for sure which wifi card is in there.  I'm hoping it'll be obvious which pins are the serial port, or that the board is similar to some of the other Asus/Broadcom routers that I've seen howto-serial pics of online.

Wish me luck!

:cry:
No joy. 
Remade the trx from scratch after a distclean with and without wifi drivers, and it still doesn't respond to pings once it's imaged, and the wifi light doesn't come on - just power and ethernet 1 where I'm plugged in.

here's my /etc/config/network:

#### VLAN configuration
config switch eth0
   option vlan0    "0 1 2 3 4 5u"
#### Loopback configuration
config interface loopback
   option ifname   "lo"
   option proto    static
   option ipaddr   127.0.0.1
   option netmask  255.0.0.0
#### LAN configuration
config interface lan
   option type     bridge
   option ifname   "eth0 wl0"
   option proto    static
   option ipaddr   192.168.1.1
   option netmask  255.255.255.0
#### WAN configuration
config interface wan
   option ifname   "eth1"
   option proto    dhcp

I also made the "channel" change to broadcom.sh.

I opened the beast, and confirmed that it is the expected broadcom wifi card.

I couldn't find an appropriate cable to make a console port, but have ordered a 3.3 serial -> USB module.  It should be here later this week, so I can solder on a console port.  I still can't tell where to solder it on to the board though.  I see an area that has 8 holes that're labled GND/3.3v/TX0/RX0/TX1/RX1, but I suspect it's the 'hidden' additional USB ports.  When the chip arrives, I'll attach it to tx0 and rx0 in the hopes that the console is there, but I'm not hopeful.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'd like to reiterate that the router works with the default firmware.  Does anyone have a TRX that's known to work on a WL-500W that they can send me?

Thanks in advance!

Aha!  I feel kind of dumb.  I had to boot in to failsafe mode once the router was flashed, then do the 'mtd erase' and reboot before it would boot properly in normal mode.
Still can't get the wifi to work, but that should be easy enough now that I have the thing booting right.  big_smile

I'm still going to attach a serial console, however, and will post photos when I do.