OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Asus WL-500Gp and ipw2100

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

I have just voided my warranty of my new router :) .. to swap the broadcom wifi mini-pci with a Intel ipw2100 mini-pci. I flashed the router with the kamikaze 2.6 image and installed the driver package for the ipw2100.

The problem is now, that when loading the driver, the firmware is not found. dmesg says:
ipw2100: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection
ipw2100: eth2: Firmware 'ipw2100-1.3.fw' not available or load failed.
ipw2100: eth2: ipw2100_get_firmware failed: -2
ipw2100: eth2: Failed to power on the adapter.
ipw2100: eth2: Failed to start the firmware.

I have copied the firmware files to /lib/firmware/2.6.19.2 but this didn't help. So where do I have to put the firmware files, so that they get loaded automatically?

Thanks for your help!

I just investigated the kernel config from https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/tags/ka … ig/default and apparently neither the CONFIG_IPW2100_LEGACY_LOAD or the CONFIG_FW_LOADER option is not set (according to the ipw2100 faq, this is needed to load the firmware).

So does this mean, that I have to recompile the kernel with one of those options set?

Hi,

I can confirm this problem, and just add that other firmwares I put in /lib/firmware can be loaded but not this one. Also a weird thing is the correct filename of the firmware, you have to rename it to change the downloaded original filename.

Regards

So as I understand you correctly, you renamed the firmware file and the firmware got loaded then? What name did you rename the firmware file to?
I just tried to put the newly downloaded firmware files under /lib/firmware, but got the same error, that the firmware ipw2100-1.3.fw was not found.

Thanks for your help!

No, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I meant you have to rename the file but even doing that the file is not found. Other devices' firmwares ARE found

I have just flashed my Asus router with the newer Kamikaze 7.07 image and the ipw2100 card works now perfectly! I have no idea what the openwrt team has changed, but thank you guys!

The discussion might have continued from here.