OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Web interface???

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Ok just upgraded my router a WRT54GS v4 from an older openwrt build to Kamikaze. Everything seems to have gone ok during flashing. But now i can only access it via telnet. Is this normal for the Kamikaze firmware?? If so is there a package i can install to regain the web interface?

Once you set root password, then ssh will work and telnet will not.  No webif at present.

Is there a way to reflash the router through ssh?

I just did a search for webif and found this site http://x-wrt.org/ now i just need to be able to flash one of there images to the router.

Obvious ways would be use mtd command from prompt, or TFTP otherwise. Wiki is your friend.

yes i saw the mtd command in the wiki but, do i run that command when loged in via telnet? And how do i tell the router where the file is stored?

I'd recommend not using the X-WRT images for Kamikaze.  I don't know if they go through the same level of testing the OpenWRT images have gone through.  I've had several strange problems using X-WRT Kamikaze images such as reboots and qos not working (using qos from the XWRT packages).  Install all the packages you need from the OpenWRT 7.06 packages (with the exception of the web interface). 

To get the X-WRT web interface, first install haserl (from the OpenWRT packages), then install the web interface from:
http://downloads.x-wrt.org/xwrt/kamikaz … mipsel.ipk

Does the white russian version have a web interface?

Yes, WhiteRussian has a built in webif.  X-WRT has webif that replaces the built in webif of WhiteRussian.  You can get by with the WhiteRussian built in webif - the X-WRT version expands its capabilities though. 

Kamikaze doesn't have a built in webif at this time - so you need to use the X-WRT webif or go line command mode.

Well i managed to setup a http server on the computer i have connected to the router and get a trx file onto the router, then i rean the mtd command just as shown on the wiki. It seemed to work fine except an hour later the power light is still flashing. I tried, after waiting an hour to power it on and off and i still just get the blinking light.

Is it "bricked" or is this something easy to fix?

Try to use TFTP to install the .trx image.  See OpenWrt documentation (search on TFTP).

I also had problems to reflash my WRT54GL running Kamikaze.
You can solve using TFTP, or alternatively, you can use Linksys utilities to recover or upgrade the firmware. You can find these official Linksys utilities somewhere on the web (I don't remember where I downloaded mine, I think on Linksys web site). This tool will install Linksys firmware on your AP. Then you can install OpenWrt.
But at first use TFTP. I don't think your AP to be bricked.

(Last edited by ggp81 on 25 Jun 2007, 08:44)

I got it working using tftp. Right now i want my old web interface back the xwrt one seems kinda lean on features.  Im just not sure where to find my old version on here. It was v23 sp1 from about a year ago. Anyone have any idea which package i need?

Webif^2 has more features than old Webif, so it would be ok for you.
In particular, what's your problem? What are you looking for?

Its all fixed, i found out i used to be using DD-WRT not open wrt. <-feels dumb

The discussion might have continued from here.