OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Serial Console - MAX233 huh???

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

This has to be a case of:
1) Someone trying something wrong but it works ok, regardless.
2) The word spreads and pretty soon EVERYONE does it wrong! wink

The MAX233 I see used all over this forum is a 5V (not 3.3V) chip.  How'd it get to be the "norm"?  Were original routers 5V?  Anyone have problems?  Did I miss something?  I'll be using the MAX3233.

It's a case of being "good enough". The MAX233 will actually function fine at the 3.3V level even if it's not technically the right choice.  Probably it's what some guy had on hand doing the first projects years ago.

I prefer the FTDI USB-console solution now anyhow, my MAX233 kit is gathering dust.

I have some Sipex chips in the junkbox but they're 5V too and need a lot of support.  I used to use a Dallas chip years ago that gets negative voltage off the data line (no charge pump) - another "good enough" category. smile

SIPEX are good for me too, pretty easy to setup and use, but to avoid troubles with edges and tolerance i'm currently using 3.3v capable chips

Ben

By the way,
before I got a siemens c55 rs-232 cable I found the MAX3233E, which doesn't need capacitors when I read right. Has someone tried the chip before and knows where to get it in germany?

Torsten

I had a siemens s45 cable and it was ok with the linksys devices. After that I bought SonyEricsson and the data cable (costs about €5) has pl2303 (serial to usb). I soldered 3 wires to the PCB that was "in" the cable (RX,TX and GND)

I have been trying to make the console and breadboard for weeks. I have made the serial cable correctly but am having trouble putting it all together on the breadboard. I am no electric engineer.  I have a big picture of my breadboard can someone maybe label where rx, tx, GND and capacitors go on the board with MS paint or something.  I spent around $35 for all the parts, could of bought another router for like half on the bay. I needs this idiot proofed. If someone is interested in doing this or sending a pic of the wired and ready to go breadboard, think this would help many people. This is in relation to WGT624 v.2

(Last edited by next4nextel on 6 Jan 2008, 01:15)

The discussion might have continued from here.