OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Writing to usb harddrive freezes Asus wl-500gP

The content of this topic has been archived between 10 Feb 2018 and 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I think it just depends on the throughput of your connection or usb hard drive. Did you try large files (>1GB) with both?

a.mOk wrote:

i have the problem,too. It dont'works with samba, but it works fine with pure-ftpd

max2k5 wrote:

I think it just depends on the throughput of your connection or usb hard drive. Did you try large files (>1GB) with both?

a.mOk wrote:

i have the problem,too. It dont'works with samba, but it works fine with pure-ftpd

yes i did. 20 files over 9GB DVD9 images, it works fine!

I also have an usb issue with my asus wl-500gp... I try to use lirc, when I inserted the modules my USB subsystem dies... I've opened a Ticked: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/2836 I guess those problems are related!

(Last edited by michu on 20 Dec 2007, 15:22)

Okay, I'm also now testing pure-ftp...
Did you check you average transfer ratio?
Here at my box pure-ftpd was using 2 MBytes/s in the beginning, but dropped now to 150 kbytes (after having reached like 600mb of the 4.2 gb file)... I think this could be the reason that the bug wasn't triggered yet. But anyway, 150 kb/s is as bad as crashes, both renders it useless sad

Cheers,
m

a.mOk wrote:
max2k5 wrote:

a.mOk wrote:

yes i did. 20 files over 9GB DVD9 images, it works fine!

(Last edited by max2k5 on 12 Dec 2007, 00:17)

hm no crashes transfer ratio 30-50mbit on ext3

Hmm, you're copying via ethernet?
I was using wlan... Can you try with wlan one time to copy an iso?

a.mOk wrote:

hm no crashes transfer ratio 30-50mbit on ext3

crash sad

i try with ext2, i think journaling filesystem are the problem...
and now i have a swap partition from usbstick.

Is it now working, when copying?

a.mOk wrote:

crash sad

a.mOk wrote:

crash sad

I guess swap is still a problem with asus wl-500gp, quote from https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/2035 :

don't use swap and you should be fine.

Or is this error fixed?

(Last edited by michu on 20 Dec 2007, 15:28)

I think what you quote just refers to 2.6 kernel, whereas this thread (at least for me) is using the 2.4 kernel, to make it possible to use the Asus WL500gp's broadcom wireless nic (2.6 kernel: no stable drivers for broadcom).

michu wrote:
a.mOk wrote:

crash sad

I guess swap is still a problem with asus wl-500gp, quote from https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/2035 :

Or is this error fixed?

michu wrote:
a.mOk wrote:

crash sad

Or is this error fixed?

hmm i use kernel 2.4, nor error's with swapon.

my asus don't crashing with pure-ftpd and ext2 since 5 days. i flash the files with FlashFXP over ethernet and
wlan. i hope i can help

Can I ask you, when you use pure-ftpd over wlan, what is your average transfer speed?

a.mOk wrote:
michu wrote:
a.mOk wrote:

crash sad

Or is this error fixed?

hmm i use kernel 2.4, nor error's with swapon.

my asus don't crashing with pure-ftpd and ext2 since 5 days. i flash the files with FlashFXP over ethernet and
wlan. i hope i can help

hm now connection (36mbits) 7000-8000kbits over ethernet 28-30mbits

(Last edited by a.mOk on 21 Dec 2007, 10:51)

8000kbits = 1 mb/s...
with lighttpd or samba (and crashes) I can get normally 2.8 mb/s, which is still somehow bearable, but when I use pure-ftpd over wlan i get like 0.6 mb/s, which is for typically 4.3GByte far too slow...

to me it seems the choice is slow or fast with crashes...

i think i will get me nice and small mini pc (like eTC 3851, see www.epatec.de), with via 800 MHz processor, buy a 2.5" hard drive and an atheros mini-pci wlan card. Okay, this is then something like 350€, but it works! And the box is even smaller than the Asus WL500GP!

a.mOk wrote:

hm now connection (36mbits) 7000-8000kbits over ethernet 28-30mbits

(Last edited by max2k5 on 21 Dec 2007, 11:00)

hey the asus wl500gp works, too. but i think 32mb are to small to manage journaling filesystem. try ext2 with lighthttpd and i hope its work. and you can save your money

// edit the problem is not the hdd or pureftpd, but the wlanmodul from asus... sad
with ethernet works fine up to 30mbits

(Last edited by a.mOk on 21 Dec 2007, 14:09)

Okay, I tested once again without ext3 but ext2, result stays the same, after 2.1 GB crash... with swap space on that hard drive I copy from.

I'll try once more without any swap...

a.mOk wrote:

hey the asus wl500gp works, too. but i think 32mb are to small to manage journaling filesystem. try ext2 with lighthttpd and i hope its work. and you can save your money

// edit the problem is not the hdd or pureftpd, but the wlanmodul from asus... sad

Okay, I just saw the message about wlan module...
Do you know where to get the cheapest Atheros mini-pci card? wink

a.mOk wrote:

Definitely, I can say, the problem is either the Broadcom mini-pci WLAN nic, or the driver for this card.
I swapped it for an Atheros wlan nic, and now I just transferred 10 Gig with 2.5 MB/s without any crashes!!!

Happy new year!

So this old post is still alive eh? smile Just to let you all know, I switched to Olegs firmware and the problem went away. My asus has been rock solid ever since.

just to confirm the same problem with ASUS 500gP using Kamikaze 7.09 broadcom2.4, external USB2 harddrive. router hangs after a while, during hdd operation

actually this is quite critical issue for me. has someone opened a ticket for this? I could'n find any...

I also have this problem and added a ticket. If anyone has information that might help solving this problem please add them as comments to the ticket. Any discussion goes in this thread.

Ticket: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/3263

I have the same problem. It is not however linked directly with Harddrive, it is linked with wifi connection.

Router hangs up when I am transfering data over 400MB, and this is random when it happen. Sometimes
I can transfer as much as 1GB and nothing happens but in 90% of situation it will hang up earlier. It is not
matter of one large file but continous trafer. When files are smaller e.g. 15 MB I can download larger data amount
with breaks about 5 min.
The easiest case of providing enough data is HDD. Therfore it is linked with in many cases.
1. I used Samba, dowloaded from xwrt, and router hangs up (sock options do not help)
2. I used few ftp clients, the same story (e.g. vsftpd)
3. I used http transfer, again the same situation

Notice: When I am using wire connection everything wokring fine, I could transfer up to 8GB in one
continous tranfer and nothing happend

My configuration is:
- pppoe wan access
- openwrt with samba 3.0 from xwrt (because proplem of vista)
- HDD WD 250G with ext2 filestytem and one partition
- 250 MB Swap
- broadcome wireless module

wireless.cfg2=wifi-iface
wireless.cfg2.device=wl0
wireless.cfg2.network=lan
wireless.cfg2.mode=ap
wireless.cfg2.ssid=my_ssid
wireless.cfg2.key=*************
wireless.cfg2.isolate=0
wireless.cfg2.encryption=psk

(Last edited by rabidus on 1 Apr 2008, 12:53)

I slapped kamikaze onto my ASUS WL-520GU and also had problems with the 2.0 EHCI-HCD drivers.

I gave up a while ago trying to make 2.0 work. I'm using the 1.1 OHCI driver in my kernel and it's doing ok so far with vfat, ext3 and a swapfile.

But because of this forum i havn't done up a pivotroot just quite yet smile I'm going to be patient.

One thing that makes it very hard for me to blame the wireless driver for these troubles is that the wireless interface is disabled by default - I haven't gotten around to enabling it yet. I don't even have an antenna hooked up- I'm in the middle of nowhere and I'm not broadcasting an SSID. All of my work has been done across a 100Mb/s network. As far as I am aware, no packets have been burst at any rate whatsoever to or from the wireless driver, although it does reside in memory.

I guess one test I could do would be to recompile a kernel with no wireless support and then re-enable the EHCI-HCD 2.0 drivers... just to see what happens...

rabidus wrote:

I have the same problem. It is not however linked directly with Harddrive, it is linked with wifi connection.

Router hangs up when I am transfering data over 400MB, and this is random when it happen. Sometimes
I can transfer as much as 1GB and nothing happens but in 90% of situation it will hang up earlier. It is not
matter of one large file but continous trafer. When files are smaller e.g. 15 MB I can download larger data amount
with breaks about 5 min.
The easiest case of providing enough data is HDD. Therfore it is linked with in many cases.
1. I used Samba, dowloaded from xwrt, and router hangs up (sock options do not help)
2. I used few ftp clients, the same story (e.g. vsftpd)
3. I used http transfer, again the same situation

Notice: When I am using wire connection everything wokring fine, I could transfer up to 8GB in one
continous tranfer and nothing happend

My configuration is:
- pppoe wan access
- openwrt with samba 3.0 from xwrt (because proplem of vista)
- HDD WD 250G with ext2 filestytem and one partition
- 250 MB Swap
- broadcome wireless module

wireless.cfg2=wifi-iface
wireless.cfg2.device=wl0
wireless.cfg2.network=lan
wireless.cfg2.mode=ap
wireless.cfg2.ssid=my_ssid
wireless.cfg2.key=*************
wireless.cfg2.isolate=0
wireless.cfg2.encryption=psk

Hello rabidus

I have the same issue as you have.
If i don't use WiFi file transfer (from one PC to other). My ASUS 500gP using Kamikaze 7.09 broadcom2.4 works GREAT!!

Wifi File transfer for large file crashes the router and power recycle is the only solution

Any work around to resolve this wireless issue?

Thanks

wl520gu-hax wrote:

One thing that makes it very hard for me to blame the wireless driver for these troubles is that the wireless interface is disabled by default - I haven't gotten around to enabling it yet. I don't even have an antenna hooked up- I'm in the middle of nowhere and I'm not broadcasting an SSID. All of my work has been done across a 100Mb/s network. As far as I am aware, no packets have been burst at any rate whatsoever to or from the wireless driver, although it does reside in memory.

Please note, that with enabled wifi, but transfering files over ETH cable the problem is not existing, with my configuration. I can transfer big files through Samba, FTB as well as HTTP. Please note, if one use only USB 1 without ehci, then transfers are relatevelly low. Some one said that problem does not appear when transfer is limited. This may be the reason that without ehci everything works perfectly.

sch_red                 3216   4
sch_sfq                 3912   4
sch_hfsc               15960   2
cls_fw                  2888   8
usb-storage            68240   2
sd_mod                 12500   4
scsi_mod               66048   3 [usb-storage sd_mod]
wlcompat               14944   0 (unused)
ehci-hcd               20556   0 (unused)
usb-ohci               19252   0 (unused)
ppp_async               7884   0 (unused)
ext2                   40304   1
wl                    630776   0 (unused)
[...] IP modules
pppoe                   9320   1
pppox                   1196   1 [pppoe]
nls_utf8                 688   0 (unused)
ppp_generic            22300   3 [ppp_async pppoe pppox]
nls_cp1250              3680   0 (unused)
slhc                    6064   0 [ppp_generic]
usbcore                71296   1 [usb-storage ehci-hcd usb-ohci]

(Last edited by rabidus on 2 Apr 2008, 09:43)

The discussion might have continued from here.