OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Asus 500gP + kamikaze 2.6 + wireless

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I want to use an Asus 500gP router as an access point. What should I do? I have no experience with wireless technologies, but I'm eager to learn big_smile

Kamikaze kernel 2.6 does not have the wireless drivers, you will have to go with Kamikaze 2.4. If you are eager to learn, then use wiki and learn.  smile

I've already read the wiki and searched the forums. So I know there is no official support for broadcom wireless drivers in kamikaze kernel 2.6. But I've seen some posts from which I understood people are using some sort experimental drivers... Is there anything like that in the wild?

well, solca said:

* AFAIK, the broadcom chip BCM4306 on some (or all?) WRTs interconnects via the SB bus and is not a regular PCI device.
* AFAIK, the mac80211 branch of the bcm43xx driver have support for some of this.
* AFAIK, Kamikaze have not migrated yet to mac80211 stack.

So I guess the fact that broadcom chip uses SB bus instead of PCI bus will be a problem. Can anybody give me more details about this issue?

out of curiosity what in particular are you trying to achieve?  you mentioned that you want to use you 500gP as an AP but what else?  I only ask this because there is much easier ways if that is all that you are trying to accomplish? is there something in particular that you need from kamikaze?  it may be possible that you could use oleg's fw (http://oleg.wl500g.info/) or tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato)[but without usb support sad]

Well, I need kamikaze because I've attached an ADSL modem on USB which works great in Kamikaze. Also, the pppoe connection is quite easy to setup. Also if Kamikaze is the next version of OpenWrt I guess I should use it and help the community with my feedback...

Kenjiru,

If you need working wireless why don't you use the bcrm-2.4 port of Kamikaze until the bcm43xx code is more mature.

TTFN

Mike

I had some problems getting the USB modem and pppoe connection up and working on kamikaze 2.6 and don't want to go through that pain again. But if that's the only solution, maybe I'll reconsider.

If there is a testing version bcm43xxx, I won't mind using and testing it...

The discussion might have continued from here.