OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: .bin file for fonera?

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,

I have a spare fonera kicking about that i want to use openwrt on. Its currently running dd-wrt so it would be best to upgrade via the web interface (a .bin file IIRC). Is there a .bin made from a known good build for foneras? Anyone have a link, google isnt helping today.

thanks

There is no bin for the Fonera as the default firmware's web interface requires firmware images to by cryptographically signed by Fon.  You'll have to flash it manually using the Kamikaze snapshots.

How hard would it be to generate a .bin file? I'd imagine there are others who would benefit from it - i.e. other people switching from dd-wrt to openwrt on foneras.

Easy smile

You need a Linux box. Use a real box or if you're on Windows use the VMware Player and see my signature.

Than simple checkout the Kamikaze and the packages from subversion symlink them, run 'make menuconfig' to select the target platform and the packages followed by a 'make world'. That's it smile

does the 'make world' also build a BIN file?

You don't get a .bin file, what you get are a LZMA compressed kernel, and a squashfs image. Both can be downloaded using redboot.

You will have to gain access to redboot somehow, though. You CAN NOT upgrade to non-fon firmware from within the fon firmware. The crypto is only part of the problem. It appears that the mtd utils are also different. Not sure what they did, but attempts to use the FON provided mtd utils with OpenWRT images so far produce "insta-bricks"(tm).

thats what im saying - ive already gone through the redboot process and installed DD-WRT so shouldnt have a problem flashing via the web interface....if i could find a bin file that the dd-wrt UI accepts.

The discussion might have continued from here.